FYI Today is the 62nd anniversary of "The Day The Music Died"

Robert G. Smits

Probably not many of us are old enough to remember the event.  I was a freshman at Iowa State University and a Buddy Holly fan.  Memorialized in "American Pie".  A good article can be found on Wikipedia if interested.  Although not auto related it involved a mal functioning Tour bus and a plane.

• Like 2

Here's a link to a fairly short and to the point article on the crash that appeared a year ago in "Plane & Pilot":

https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/the-day-the-music-died/

There are three aviation acronyms that are not defined in the article.  Ever mindful of increasing irritation with undefined acronyms voiced elsewhere on this Forum:P, I offer these brief definitions:

• IFR: Instrument Flight Rules, govern requirements to fly in bad weather or conditions of limited visibility.
  • VFR:  Visual Flight Rules, cover visibility requirements for flying "visually" without reference to flight instruments such as artificial horizon, etc.
  • IMC: Instrument Meteorological Conditions means weather so bad that the pilot can't fly using external reference points such as the visible horizon.  To legally fly in IMC, the pilot must be "instrument-rated" according to the Instrument Flight Rules.

Regards,

Grog

Edited by capngrog
add some information of aviation acronyms (see edit history)

3 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

but it still haunted him. 

One of the stories is that when Buddy Holly found out that Waylon had given up his seat on the plane he said "I hope your feet freeze on the bus".  Waylon is reported to have replied "and I hope you crash"

1 hour ago, Robert G. Smits said:

One of the stories is that when Buddy Holly found out that Waylon had given up his seat on the plane he said "I hope your feet freeze on the bus".  Waylon is reported to have replied "and I hope you crash"

and Waylon Jennings regretted that remark over and over again

Rock and Roll history has always fascinated me.  I grew up in south-central Michigan (Battle Creek) during the early 60s when Del Shannon was singing at the Hi-Lo Club there.  My college roomie was a DJ at a local radio station and he had a couple of hours in the late evening with his own show - "Teen's Platter Party."   After my first career (USN) I went work in HR for a large healthcare company, and one morning (anniversary of "the day the music died,"  I walked in and casually asked the receptionist if she knew what day it was.  Of course she did not, but at lunch-time, she proudly announced she'd figured it out.  She knew there was a rock-and roll connection somewhere because I was always talking about and playing the music in my office.  Well, the next day, when I came in she asked me "what's today's question?"   Thus began a six month long Rock and Roll trivia contest in our office.  I'd send out three questions before leaving work on Friday evening and people could use the weekend to come up with answers.  We had almost a hundred percent participation and everyone had a blast - even having in-office luncheons to listen and talk about it.  What amazed me was the number of younger people who were so enthusiastic.  

It's music that lasts forever.   Oh-almost forgot to keep it car related, so be sure to listen to the right kind of music on your antique car radios.  My 67 GTO has Ronnie and the Daytona's on a loop playing "the anthem" (Little GTO).

Terry

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

It's music that lasts forever.  

Funny you say that because it is so true.  My wife and I moved a lot for the first 15+ years we were married.  When a song comes up that we recognize it instantly brings back memories of the place we were living  when that song was popular.

• Like 1

A local theater had an excellant cast for musicals, it was a very small theater and they'd do the 'Buddy Holley Storey' at this time of the year and it ended with a single spotlight on the airport flight controller trying to raise the pilot.  It was a powerful performance.

R.I.P.

• Like 1