He who sells what isn't hissn...

padgett

1 hour ago, JFranklin said:

Maybe they could get by with offering 2 cars of the next production year. I would go for that.

That's just what I was thinking. That should be a workable solution. Maybe not that workable for the lottery, but as padgett says, they should've lined all of this up before they took people's money.

If it had been me who'd won, however, I would've said..."No problem...you can just buy me a nicely restored 1956 Vette roadster and an equally nice 1965 big block 396 coupe instead. You shouldn't have a problem finding both of those."

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

I would be willing to bet if his lawyers informed the state of Georgia that they would settle for $500,000.00 for a breech of contract, the state of Georgia would find a Corvette quickly. Uh, that's 1/2 million on top of the $250,000.00 already promised.

Edited by Morgansdad
spelling (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

They need to come to the Detroit area. A friend/customer just bought two new Corvettes from a local Chevy dealer's lot (actually, one was on the showroom floor).One is all red, one is white with a blue stripe. He bought them last week for a bit below the sticker price which was in the low 80k'ish range. I just saw both of them in my friend's car barn. According to him, there are plenty available for immediate purchase. Not sure if this is a regional thing or not.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

3 hours ago, motoringicons said:

They need to come to the Detroit area. A friend/customer just bought two new Corvettes from a local Chevy dealer's lot (actually, one was on the showroom floor).One is all red, one is white with a blue stripe. He bought them last week for a bit below the sticker price which was in the low 80k'ish range. I just saw both of them in my friend's car barn. According to him, there are plenty available for immediate purchase. Not sure if this is a regional thing or not.

That funny, you said he bought them for just under sticker. The 2020 Corvette was released with a 60,000.00 price tag from Chevrolet (depending on options of course).

A lottery, or any other game of chance for that matter, relies heavily on the perception of "an honest game", otherwise, participation rates would suffer.  I think the Georgia Lottery should "bend over backwards" to satisfy the lottery winner, since they were the ones who breached the contract.  Compromise, with the advantage going to the lottery winner, is surely called for in this situation.

I would think that it would be in everyone's best interest if the Georgia Lottery quickly reached an agreement with the winner, perhaps something like along these lines: Immediate payment of $107,000 (the agreed allowance for the price of the promised 'Vette), plus the promised $250,000, plus a signed contract for a new Corvette.  In my opinion it was foolish to involve lawyers in this situation, because the only ones who win a dispute of this nature are the lawyers.   It wasn't clear from the above-linked article what the Lottery winner's attitude was or what the date of the lottery was; however, if he is adamant and insists on immediate payment of the cash and promised Corvette, then he is being  unwise.  Assuming that the winner is the one who involved the lawyers, he is being doubly unwise ... unless he is being stonewalled by lottery officials.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 2

This is a covid related problem. Corvette production was dialed back because of the pandemic, something the lottery could not have foreseen when they created this game. The winner is an ungrateful jerk, IMHO. People are suffering real hardships now. Poor baby can’t have a Corvette now. 😩 Wait 6 months and enjoy the money you won in the mean time.

He is also a used car dealer, so perhaps his motive is a quick flip?

Edited by Car-Nicopia (see edit history)

EVERY problem is attributed to Covid. Doesn't matter who won, thought equality applied to everyone. Do not see that Georgia has made any meaningful offer (like a '57 FI).

Personally thought it was funny.

2 hours ago, Car-Nicopia said:

This is a covid related problem. Corvette production was dialed back because of the pandemic, something the lottery could not have foreseen when they created this game. The winner is an ungrateful jerk, IMHO. People are suffering real hardships now. Poor baby can’t have a Corvette now. 😩 Wait 6 months and enjoy the money you won in the mean time.

He is also a used car dealer, so perhaps his motive is a quick flip?

I'm not the most literate. Did I just read he is a jerk because he's a used car dealer?

2 hours ago, gungeey said:

I'm not the most literate. Did I just read he is a jerk because he's a used car dealer?

No you didn't. Did you read the article?

He's a jerk because he is involving lawyers and the courts for a situation that can be resolved without them. All it requires is a little patience. When a once-in-century pandemic happens, most people are sympathetic to the fact things might not go their way. He's also a jerk for trying a case like this in the court of public opinion by announcing it on social media and trying to embarrass others for something beyond their control. The win is an embarrassment of riches and this dude wants to be seen as the victim. Colossal jerk, IMO. 

The used car dealer point is to illustrate he may want it now simply because they are in short supply.

Edited by Car-Nicopia (see edit history)
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Car-Nicopia said:

No you didn't. Did you read the article?

He's a jerk because he is involving lawyers and the courts for a situation that can be resolved without them. All it requires is a little patience. When a once-in-century pandemic happens, most people are sympathetic to the fact things might not go their way. He's also a jerk for trying a case like this in the court of public opinion by announcing it on social media and trying to embarrass others for something beyond their control. The win is an embarrassment of riches and this dude wants to be seen ans the victim. Colossal jerk, IMO. 

The used car dealer point is to illustrate he may want it now simply because they are in short supply.

OK, got it.

Guy bought a raffle gov't  ticket.

Won the raffle.

Wants his prize. 

No said prize

He's a jerk.

Edited by gungeey
spell (see edit history)

33 minutes ago, gungeey said:

OK, got it.

Won the raffle.

Wants his prize. 

No said prize

He's a jerk.

A proper attitude often smooths bumps in the rocky road of disappointment ... or sumthin'.:P

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 2

LOL a real proper attitude would be "can I at least have my dollar back"LOL

People or govt's that say what they are going to do and then do it don't require attitude from either party.

Just my opinion, of course...when it comes to corvette sweepstakes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gungeey said:

OK, got it.

Won the raffle.

Wants his prize. 

No said prize

He's a jerk.

Wrong again. I do appreciate the admission that you are not the most literate. 😝

There is a prize and he will receive most of it now. $250,000 cash. The car will probably take a little longer.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Car-Nicopia said:

Wrong again. I do appreciate the admission that you are not the most literate. 😝

There is a prize and he will receive most of it now. $250,000 cash. The car will probably take a little longer.

You are right, never had it explained so succinctly before. I now see the light... Thank you and have a Great Day

Just to clarify, the article says $250K in cash plus a Corvette up to $107K and, if less than that, winner keeps the difference in cash.  Georgia's mistake was in not buying a Corvette before the lottery and awarding that car plus the cash.  I find it hard to believe they can't find one now.  But if so, it seems an equitable settlement would be to award $357K (the total value of the prize) in cash and let the winner do whatever he wants with it.

10 minutes ago, padgett said:

Bet the IRS is there before the car.

Yup.  A guy who used to work for my Dad won a car in a local lottery and had to refuse it - he was a paycheck-to-paycheck sort and couldn't afford the tax on it.

1 hour ago, CHuDWah said:

Just to clarify, the article says $250K in cash plus a Corvette up to $107K and, if less than that, winner keeps the difference in cash.  Georgia's mistake was in not buying a Corvette before the lottery and awarding that car plus the cash.  I find it hard to believe they can't find one now.  But if so, it seems an equitable settlement would be to award $357K (the total value of the prize) in cash and let the winner do whatever he wants with it.

The winner wants a very specific configuration.

12 hours ago, gungeey said:

And he is a used car dealer

Not trying to get into an argument with anyone, aside from who he is or what he does for a living, he won the prize that was supposedly offered. He held up his end of the contract by paying up front for the lottery ticket. Sorry, but the state of Georgia seems to have dropped the ball on this one !   At least from what's been said on here.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Morgansdad said:

Not trying to get into an argument with anyone, aside from who he is or what he does for a living, he won the prize that was supposedly offered. He held up his end of the contract by paying up front for the lottery ticket. Sorry, but the state of Georgia seems to have dropped the ball on this one !   At least from what's been said on here.

No argument from me...that was my point, too, from prior postings in this thread. My thoughts  exactly sir.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Car-Nicopia said:

Thank you. Glad I have nice people like yourself to educate me on this matters, sir.

I bet part of the problem is that the contract specifically stipulates something like a "new 2020 Chevrolet Corvette." Well, there aren't any more of those. The lottery commission can't buy one off eBay and give it to him because it's not new (even if it only has 10 miles on it--it has been titled by someone else, which is no longer a new car). There's a lot of gray area in the law here, but when a contract says what it says, you either honor it or, if it cannot be honored due to external circumstances, you have to renegotiate. I guess that's what the lawyers are doing here. Ultimately, I think he'll settle for A Chevrolet Corvette of a year to be determined once production resumes. Or they'll just give him the actual cash value of the car and let him do whatever he wants with it--that's the easy solution. However, given the circumstances I have to imagine they've already offered it and it has been refused.

It's like when I sold a 1940 ***** to a guy and told him it was not a rusty car. He eventually took it apart and found a pinky-sized rust hole in the area between one of the rear fenders and the body--invisible and undetectable without disassembly. Nevertheless, he called out the lawyers and attempted to force me to bankroll a six-figure restoration of this car due to misrepresentation. There are limits to a contract's warranties and the courts generally don't like opportunists trying to take advantage.

He may not be a jerk, but he's apparently using the explicit language of the contract to hold the other party hostage in order to get something that may no longer exist. For what reason, I don't know. Does that make him a jerk or an opportunist or just a poor guy getting steamrolled by The Man? I don't know for sure, but I know which way I'm leaning...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

I bet part of the problem is that the contract specifically stipulates something like a "new 2020 Chevrolet Corvette." Well, there aren't any more of those. The lottery commission can't buy one off eBay and give it to him because it's not new (even if it only has 10 miles on it--it has been titled by someone else, which is no longer a new car). There's a lot of gray area in the law here, but when a contract says what it says, you either honor it or, if it cannot be honored due to external circumstances, you have to renegotiate. I guess that's what the lawyers are doing here. Ultimately, I think he'll settle for A Chevrolet Corvette of a year to be determined once production resumes. Or they'll just give him the actual cash value of the car and let him do whatever he wants with it--that's the easy solution. However, given the circumstances I have to imagine they've already offered it and it has been refused.

It's like when I sold a 1940 ***** to a guy and told him it was not a rusty car. He eventually took it apart and found a pinky-sized rust hole in the area between one of the rear fenders and the body--invisible and undetectable without disassembly. Nevertheless, he called out the lawyers and attempted to force me to bankroll a six-figure restoration of this car due to misrepresentation. There are limits to a contract's warranties and the courts generally don't like opportunists trying to take advantage.

He may not be a jerk, but he's apparently using the explicit language of the contract to hold the other party hostage in order to get something that may no longer exist. For what reason, I don't know. Does that make him a jerk or an opportunist or just a poor guy getting steamrolled by The Man? I don't know for sure, but I know which way I'm leaning...

I would be very surprised if the rules of the lottery don't have a force majeure clause for instances like this. 

20 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

Yup.  A guy who used to work for my Dad won a car in a local lottery and had to refuse it - he was a paycheck-to-paycheck sort and couldn't afford the tax on it.

I often wonder what the percentage of actual collection of prizes are on some of these game shows.

"YEA !!! Joe just won three, that's right three luxury cars !!!!"

Tax burden could be a hundred thou, so since the guy didn't spin a hundred in the bonus round he cant afford his free stuff.

Would there be any merit in borrowing the tax money so that he could sell his prize and hope to come out better than even?

Or the old lady with twenty grand children that wins the new kitchen. She don't have the two or three grand to be able to take it home.

So the winners lose, But what is the percentage of the shows bragging rights compared to unclaimed winnings.

50% might be an accurate guess. Who knows?