Getting our 1910 Thomas Flyer 6/40 ready for touring!

CatBird

Earlier this year, we acquired a 1910 Thomas Flyer (ex Harold Coker Estate) at auction. It had been a trailer queen since complete restoration many years ago. I do believe in driving our cars, just using them only as static displays.

I reached out to a great Thomas restorer, Jeff Keysor and mechanic and had him go through everything. Make sure all lubrication points addressed. Brakes in top condition, steering, suspension and, of course the engine and running gear.

We removed the windshield for easiest transport (and gave it a racy look.) 

While to nomenclature was a 6/40 designation, but I have heard that the 1910 had a more powerful engine with 64 hp. It runs and drives beautifully and the engine is smooth and responsive. Been out driving around Stone Mountain and very pleased! Sadly the COVID has curtailed touring for us, but hoping to get out when it is lifted.

I want to thank, for their excellent work 

Bill Squires, Bill's Auto Works, (419 829-8048) (Transport)

Jeff Keysor. restoration https://keysorautomobileworks.com/

1.JPEG

2.jpg

IMG_4196 (1).jpeg

IMG_4670.jpeg

10-thomas-m-6-40_dv-20-ai_07.jpg

10-thomas-m-6-40_dv-20-ai_09.jpg

Edited by CatBird (see edit history)
  • Like 17

12 minutes ago, CatBird said:

Thank you Ed.

Quite simply one of the best brass cars in the world. Having driven a few of them, I can confirm they are spectacular. Only problem is Napa has to special order any part you need, and it usually takes three days to get it. Been there, done that.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I recall seeing your Thomas while visiting Harold's home several years ago-

congratulations on becoming the caretaker of a fantastic example.

Enjoy it at every opportunity !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wowzers! An exceptional car. You are very fortunate to own and be able to drive this fine automobile! You must get approached a ton by strangers when you take it out. Have you caused any accidents yet that you know of? Due to people “rubber-necking”?

I’m smitten with it. 

The toy is neat, but it makes the car look small.   Like Marty, we saw the car at Harold Cokers house on the 2013 Glidden Tour.  Awesome!

That was the tour with two 1924 White "Yellowstone" Tour Busses, Harolds and  Ross Walkups.  Most people live there whole life never seeing one and we had two on that tour.   (Picture from a local tour)

FallTourII.thumb.jpg.e53b731c4ffe93caf655ee2194dff564.jpg

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Interesting concept.......buy an antique bus........everywhere you go is an instant party. Looks like lots of fun! I didn’t realize how big the White Yellowstone Bus actually is.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

18 hours ago, edinmass said:

Interesting concept.......buy an antique bus........everywhere you go is an instant party. Looks like lots of fun! I didn’t realize how big the White Yellowstone Bus actually is.

Ed,   

Ross had that White bus on the 2019 Glidden Tour too, and like your White, it was always carrying somebody.   His 1923 White flatbed

truck carries a calliope in the Christmas parade.   

Paul

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

The toy is neat, but it makes the car look small.   Like Marty, we saw the car at Harold Cokers house on the 2013 Glidden Tour.  Awesome!

That was the tour with two 1924 White "Yellowstone" Tour Busses, Harolds and  Ross Walkups.  Most people live there whole life never seeing one and we had two on that tour.   (Picture from a local tour)

FallTourII.thumb.jpg.e53b731c4ffe93caf655ee2194dff564.jpg

Our long-time friend Merrill Maxfield of Draper, Utah has also driven his White Yellowstone bus on multiple Glidden Tours.

I've always considered Merrill and his wife Marlene to be generous hosts, and Merrill is also an inventive mechanic and consumate collector, as well as a respected member of the hobby.

I'd like to have taken a ride in that White, but somehow, we always had requests from, and always accomodated other folks to ride along with us in our Glidden-era cars-

maybe someday?

Catbird,

Very Nice car! Truly a Big Boy toy as Ed stated. While some touring was cancelled last year, we did tour from May to October with our local AACA club with just some back road stops at Parks or outdoor memorials and had social distancing at picnics. Our local tours are mostly 1950-90's cars but some of us have brass. We did a local Model T tour in June and the  Snapper Brass and Gas tour in Port Clinton, Ohio in September. Had a RR Silver Ghost, Three Locomobiles, a Simplex along with more common makes like our 1911 Ford. It was great but not without the hosts having to do a bit of work to modify their plans to make the gatherings work. Had some box lunches while sitting on running boards. We also did the Hershey Hangover this past year which was great despite even tougher and changing rules for the host in PA.  While normal stops at museums are a little tough and stops a indoor restaurants even tougher, picnics worked great and in some ways took us back to what brass era tourist did in the Thomas Flyer era. I recently found a Columbus Dispatch article on our Ohio Region AACA Tour in 1960. Lots of brass era cars on that tour including a Thomas Flyer. The cool thing is they had George Schuster as the speaker for the banquet. This was a few years before he went to Reno to confirm the original New York to Paris car for Bill Harrah. I will try to post this at some point. 

Tom Muth

Cincinnati, Ohio 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, tomcarnut said:

Catbird,

Very Nice car! Truly a Big Boy toy as Ed stated. While some touring was cancelled last year, we did tour from May to October with our local AACA club with just some back road stops at Parks or outdoor memorials and had social distancing at picnics. Our local tours are mostly 1950-90's cars but some of us have brass. We did a local Model T tour in June and the  Snapper Brass and Gas tour in Port Clinton, Ohio in September. Had a RR Silver Ghost, Three Locomobiles, a Simplex along with more common makes like our 1911 Ford. It was great but not without the hosts having to do a bit of work to modify their plans to make the gatherings work. Had some box lunches while sitting on running boards. We also did the Hershey Hangover this past year which was great despite even tougher and changing rules for the host in PA.  While normal stops at museums are a little tough and stops a indoor restaurants even tougher, picnics worked great and in some ways took us back to what brass era tourist did in the Thomas Flyer era. I recently found a Columbus Dispatch article on our Ohio Region AACA Tour in 1960. Lots of brass era cars on that tour including a Thomas Flyer. The cool thing is they had George Schuster as the speaker for the banquet. This was a few years before he went to Reno to confirm the original New York to Paris car for Bill Harrah. I will try to post this at some point. 

Tom Muth

Cincinnati, Ohio 

Tom, I was probably at that Ohio Region tour with my parents. I have some old photos around here somewhere... I'll have to look around for them.  

And I too have seen that Thomas Flyer (and another one...white in color, I think?) when visiting Corky Coker in Chattanooga. Great family, good friends. 

Catbird,

There is another "1910 Thomas Flyer Model M-6-40 Flyabout"

advertised by Sotheby's for the Amelia Island Auction March 5-6 

in this new Antique Automobile Magazine, page 17.

It's even the same green colors as yours, but appears to have

black upholstery.  

We hope to see you and your great car on AACA Tours.

• Thanks 1