NEW CAR PUBLICATION coming out December 7 Rare and Unique Vehicles filling a Void in the Hobby

Mark Gregory

I was told about this new car publication has anyone else seen it or heard of it ?

We are very excited to announce that the first issue of Rare & Unique Vehicles magazine will be out on 7 December!

In the last few days we have received an outpouring of support, so we have decided to publish the paper version before Christmas. 

Please recommend the magazine to your friends and collegaues! Subscription details are on 

https://rareandunique.media/subscriptions

Thanks for your support!

subscription_issue1-300x300.jpg

10 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Starting a printed magazine in 2020 is an act of financial bravery, like opening a restaurant in 2020.

My thoughts exactly. 😳

30 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Starting a printed magazine in 2020 is an act of financial bravery, like opening a restaurant in 2020.

Bravery!  Call a spade a spade! It’s plain stupidity. At least they are going digital first. But the print version going to run into paper cost increases if they can even get it being a. new customer, mail delivery problems which cause major missing issue claims and additional mailing cost. Advertisers that will delay payments as long as absolutely possible. I’ve seen more pubs go down the tube In the last 9 months than In the previous 5 years. My 45 year old circulation fulfillment company is closed due to C19 magazines closings. 
If this last 4 issues I will be very surprised. 
leave s 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It will depend upon their market, it is a European magazine and the subject matter and topics focus on that part of the world, will it find any appeal here in North America?

Right now I see that the only outlet for car enthusiasts is periodicals and these forums. All the shows , tours, exhibits, meetings are not taking place and we all need something to keep our interest alive and feed us something we haven't seen before. Content that is of some interest to many many people will be the key as will great images, there is great satisfaction in seeing something we are interested in that we have not seen before. Judging from the popular topics that people keep returning to here on the fabulous forums ( I do not state that lightly or in jest) viewers really like to see images and photographs of vehicles when they were new , be that 100+ years ago or 25 years ago. Add to the images informative information and a perspective of the era that the vehicles were new in and it is just really satisfying to experience in this age of crisis.

Walt

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I received my copy in the mail today, it is a good read!   Lots of excellent historical black & white photos and high-resolution color photos of restored cars, especially from Continental Europe.

I'd recommend it for those who do like the odd and unusual.

Craig

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Dear Members,

Thanks for discussing my new magazine. Yes, it was brave/stupid/foolish/great to launch a magazine in the middle of the pandemic, but I usually follow the difficult path :) With the first issue we experienced shipping issues related to COVID-19 so issue no2 which will be out next week will have a small print run in the US for the local readers. 

Finances. We started small and expand cautiously. Feedback has been phenomenal and we already have a small number of advertisers. So far we are doing okay, subscription fees and revenue from advertisers paid for the cost of the first two issues. If subscribers keep coming and we can attract a few more advertisers, I believe we'll be doing fine.

As for the content, the first issue focused on streamlining and there were two articles on American streamliners.

The second issue will focus on small-, mini- and microcars. American edition will be out on 22 March, European on 26 March - the only difference is that the European is printed in Hungary, the American is printed in Pennsylvania.

There will be 26 articles on the central theme, including Japanese, Chinese, Czech, Spanish, Hungarian and Italian mini- and microcars, drive story of the last Quasar Unipower built and more.

I am happy to answer all your questions. You can subscriber at https://rareandunique.media

ruv_2021_02_cover.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pnegyesi1973 said:

Dear Members,

Thanks for discussing my new magazine. Yes, it was brave/stupid/foolish/great to launch a magazine in the middle of the pandemic, but I usually follow the difficult path :) With the first issue we experienced shipping issues related to COVID-19 so issue no2 which will be out next week will have a small print run in the US for the local readers. 

You are not the only risk-taker in this field, and we applaud you for that!   

The other risk-taker:  

We applaud you both for taking on this effort as the pandemic has seen the demise of more than a few classic car and classic truck magazines, especially from England.

Craig

It is a wonderful read, if the future issues are at the quality of the first you will have a success on your hands. Personally I think your efforts will bring the advertisers and only help the magazine to grow in subscribers and excellent content. Congratulations. 
dave s 

I still find good reading here, most of which I've forgotten that I read before, (up to 50 years ago).

Old Cars was monthly from 1971 thru 1984 when it became Old Cars Weekly.  My 6 Volume set

of "The Best of Old Cars "includes columns and articles by Henry Austin Clark, Jr.  (Young Nuts &

Old Bolts),  Tim Howley (Somewhere West of Laramie), Diane Thomas, George Norton. Les Henry.

and many others including Earl Beauchamp and other current writers, including me.  

The 6 volume set includes lots of B & W pictures, technical articles, drawings adventure stories with

old cars and historical facts of many makes no longer talked about.  Chet Krause did great job in

publishing the  news of our hobby when Hemmings was the big marketplace.  Located in Iola

Wisconsin, Krause also sponsored a big antique automotive flea market, in Iola, second only to

Hershey in my opinion. I remember waiting for each monthy issue in 1983 when the Great American

Race began and I couldn't beleive that this hobby could have anything that fun to look forward to. 

Then in 1984, I began my 11 year career of having that once in a lifetime adventure annually.

IMG_0750.thumb.JPG.c8be7c8bf56d72b64f60833fb6f31602.JPG