Great Article on Hershey @ Hemmings.com

Peter Gariepy

It really hit me hard this weekend that there's no Hershey. Usually we are gearing up for the trip right now, deciding which cars to bring, loading the trailer, and I it really bummed me out that it's not happening. It's really going to cast a pall over the shop this week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

It really hit me hard this weekend that there's no Hershey. Usually we are gearing up for the trip right now, deciding which cars to bring, loading the trailer, and I it really bummed me out that it's not happening. It's really going to cast a pall over the shop this week.

Matt.....hit me also......first time this past weekend I wasn’t loading parts, looking for extra cash, packing the truck and trailer.........A real bummer. Hershey to me and my family and friends is on par with Thanksgiving.......it  was the last few days before cold set in, and the holidays were upon us. I think I shall buy something in the next week or two to chase the blues away..........what shall it be? 🤔

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m trying to control myself. I have the White, the new other car getting picked up on Long Island this week, and I got one of those terrible things I don’t need........an itch to buy something else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

There is just something in the air at this time of year that tells us that HERSHEY is coming. Sadly as we all know, we won't be attending this year. This would have been number 52 for us, started in 1968, so you can imagine how we feel. Call me crazy, but I miss the mud. There were times that we took off our boots before walking into our motel. We were covered in mud up to our knees. I often wonder what the people that were staying in our motel, that didn't know about HERSHEY thought. Let's all pray that 2021 will be better.

• Like 1

Yes, we'll miss it - but I'm going to Luray for the Pre-War swap meet!  With the new date for the fall meet, the calendar can be adjusted to actually set up there with my "Hershey" wares. At least we'll get our fall swap meet "fix" even though it just won't be the same.  Will we see you there?

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 46 woodie said:

There is just something in the air at this time of year that tells us that HERSHEY is coming. Sadly as we all know, we won't be attending this year. This would have been number 52 for us, started in 1968, so you can imagine how we feel. Call me crazy, but I miss the mud. There were times that we took off our boots before walking into our motel. We were covered in mud up to our knees. I often wonder what the people that were staying in our motel, that didn't know about HERSHEY thought. Let's all pray that 2021 will be better.

Given that there is no Hershey this year, 2021 will be your 53rd. For those who keep count if you have consecutive attendance for x-number of years, you still will when it resumes in 2021 - you can't miss something that didn't happen.

TG

• Like 1

Hershey 2021 will be a special week.

In the meantime, I’ll be a vendor at Fall Carlisle October 1-3. I plan to have free Hershey kisses on my tables. On Sunday October 4, I plan to check out the EMMR Swap Meet at the Museum near Dillsburg, PA. Then at least one day to the Luray (VA) Pre-War Swap Meet October 6-8; and then the Maple Grove Raceway Swap Meet on Saturday October 17. Yeah, we can sit around and mourn the loss of Hershey, or grab our masks and get going. 

• Thanks 1

This would have been my 35th year.  I really miss the Hershey of the 80's and 90's and the grass fields.  The Car Corral at night in the Chocolate Field with all the fresh barn finds and all the activity.  Kids running around with their wagons dragging parts back to cars.  All the Million Dollar Motor homes lined up near all the Truck Transport Company.  Hershey chocolate smell in the air with the sky filled with Helium Balloons. Whoever was the meet announcer was great.  I bought  many cars, parts, signs,  gas pumps, leather hides from Hirsch and more.  I had a business in Bird-in-Hand, Pa for years and my Amish neighbor once said to me "Why does everything always have to change".   I'm sure the changes will always continue at Hershey but it's still the one of the Best.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, edinmass said:

I think I shall buy something in the next week or two to chase the blues away..........what shall it be? 🤔

I actually justified buying a porcelain sign off ebay today,  that I stumbled across,  because I wasn't going to be able to shop at Hershey this year.   The wife didn't even complain when I told her.

For that matter with no car shows or swap meets at all in our area this year I haven't been to a swap meet since Hershey last year.  Surprised I'm not going through worse withdrawl. 

• Like 1

I was hoping to make it this year for my 60th, to say I've "been there" at least ONCE, after reading about it in depth since 1973 in the old Car Classics magazine and then in Cars & Parts, Special Interest Autos/Hemmings after that!

So next year it is!!

Craig

Guest Mark McAlpine

Great article.  Marion & I don't have the same history with Hershey as many of you--this would've been our 14th--but it's something we look forward to every year now and it's usually the cap of the AACA car season.  Cancellation of this year's Eastern Fall Nationals is disappointing, but we have our health and it will make next year's show & swap meet in Herhsey that much more special.  (And it's another chapter for future stories about Hershey:  "Remember when Hershey was cancelled in 2020?"  It's not quite the same as slogging through mud, but from this point on it will be talked about in every story about Hershey.)

On a positive note, kudos and thanks to everyone involved who scrambled on short notice to organize the Special Fall Nationals in Gettysburg.  No, it won't be the same as Hershey, but at least we get to end the 2020 car season on a positive note and get to provide our members another opportunity to show their vehicles (and for the rest of us to enjoy seeing) and see AACA friends from around the country whom we only see at AACA events.  As demonstrated by this year's Grand Nationals (and the 2018 Eastern Spring Nationals/Meet), the Gateway Gettysburg complex is a great location for a show--we're looking for to the show.  Let's make it part of AACA history, too.

Here's to a considerably better 2021!  Be safe and stay healthy.