1920 Brewster Town Landaulet

Matt Harwood

I apologize for side tracking this topic/tread from a wonderful example of a Brewster to Tucker. I still stand by my belief that the Tucker story has been over blown by to many judgements  from rehashed second hand history and evaluations made from no hands on experience with an actual well sorted car . A half hour examination of one example and perhaps a 5 or 10 minute ride will not give a fair evaluation of a product, but can generate many many opinions.

• Like 1

Walt......Matt is a good guy and friend, and I’m sure he isn’t upset about the Tucker comments........it still brings people to the thread......and the car is for sale.......so any traffic is usually welcome. Let’s just pretend I wrote ten pages on why they are over hyped, over blown, and very very overpriced. 

• Like 1

I certainly don't mind the distractions--this is a conversation and that's how conversations go. Let it take us wherever it will.

That said, I regard Tuckers like Duesenbergs and Cord L29s: there are plenty of people who say they are awful to drive; I still desperately want one nonetheless.

• Haha 1

Ed, I can agree that they are over hyped especially after the fact when they were no longer in production! ( its like discussing what it was like to be a race car driver in the Vanderbilt Cup Races and basing it on riding or driving in a car that was used then in a race, 40 to 50 years after the fact) now over priced - yes, then - yes,  if you wanted one ( my friend in Ontario , Ca. ordered one new and eventually 3 or 4 years later was able to buy one from someone who did manage to get one delivered he kept track of) , over blown - well maybe - again you have to be in one for some time either as a passenger or driver. I spent a day in one at the Franklin event 40 years ago. Matt the only thing I don't like about driving a Tucker is the Cord automobile based pre selector shift on the little arm on the steering column - could never ever get used to or understand that . Once it is in gear it is great but it is kind of like getting used to driving a Model T Ford for me - pushing pedals when a regular stick and clutch does the same thing and I can personally relate to it more!

Edited by Walt G
added comment (see edit history)

Just now, padgett said:

I recall riding in a Tucker in south Florida. May have been Melton's. Nothing special. Rather have a Tatra.

I would rather have a communicable social disease...............😏

From reading a number of Tucker articles in antique car magazines over the last 50 years they seem to fall into 2 categories. Group #1 is cars that spent their whole life in a museum and have less than 20,000 miles on them, the other group in the hands of individual owners with 100,000 miles or more. One owner said he bought his as a curiosity, planning to take it out for parades and shows, but once he drove it, he liked it so much he found he was driving it more and more. This seems to have been a common theme back when the cars were 5, 10 or 20 years old.

I could also mention that Tom McCahill tested one when they were new and was very impressed, so much so that he said the Tucker made every other 1948 car look like Harrigan's hack with the wheels off. Performance and handling were terrific for the times. He felt if the car stood up, it would revolutionize the industry. He could not know it then but experience has proven they are durable and the basic design sound.

Of course there is such a thing as progress and in 10 years or less other cars had outpaced the Tucker and made it obsolete. But I think it deserves its place in history as much as any Duesenberg or Cadillac V16.

1 hour ago, Cadillac Fan said:

Expensive, but at least it's really ugly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...