Finding new old stuff

keiser31

The Menasco name triggered a faint memory in the deep, dark recesses of the remains of my brain. A quick look on the interweb revealed that Menasco Motors Company was formed by Al Menasco in Burbank, California in 1926. They built aircraft engines up until WWII, but were out of that business by the end of the war. I doubt that the aviation engine manufacturer, Menasco, has any thing to do with the Menasco Motors automobile dealership located in Grants Pass, Oregon, but I just thought I'd toss in this useless bit of trivia for entertainment's sake.

A link to Menasco Motors aircraft engine manufacturer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menasco_Motors_Company

Happy Labor Day.

Cheers,

Grog

No pix but in the 80s, I found a leather key case similar to Keiser's.  It was stuck on top of the basement wall between the floor joists of a circa-1925 house we owned at the time.  It was shaped like a beer bottle and was from a bar (can't recall the name) in Sturgis, SD.  This was in the midwest - wonder if a previous resident brought it back from a motorcycle rally?  I may still have it around somewhere.

Also in the 80s, my parents bought a new Dodge and got a key fob similar to the Shell one.  It had the pentastar and a number registered to them - supposedly you could drop it in any mailbox.  Dodge guaranteed postage to their office, and then forwarded it to the owner - never did test that.  Dunno what would have happened if parents no longer owned the car.

Menasco were in my Town of Oakville.

Good find John.

In the first quarter of 1994 Coltec Industries Inc. closed its landing gear manufacturing plant in Burbank, California, consolidating the production of landing gear systems at its Menasco Aerosystems facility in Fort Worth, Texas, and its Menasco Aerospace Ltd. facility in Oakville, Ontario, Canada.

Here are two that I have carried (the single one for 72 years and the double one for 61 years. Real neat and you never get a hole in your pocket. Our local luggage repair shops both sell these all the time.

DSC03238.JPG

On 9/7/2020 at 12:51 PM, CHuDWah said:

No pix but in the 80s, I found a leather key case similar to Keiser's.  It was stuck on top of the basement wall between the floor joists of a circa-1925 house we owned at the time.  It was shaped like a beer bottle and was from a bar (can't recall the name) in Sturgis, SD.  This was in the midwest - wonder if a previous resident brought it back from a motorcycle rally?  I may still have it around somewhere.

Being a bar owner myself, this type of thing always interests me. And having visited Sturgis many times, I'd like to know the name on that key case, if you happen to locate it.

Cheers, Greg

On 9/8/2020 at 6:46 PM, TAKerry said:

Keiser, I have been looking for one of those for awhile. I remember as a kid they were pretty much standard fair. Being that I own a Pontiac I dont suppose you would be willing to part with one?

Send me your address through a private message. Don't know when I will send it as I have been evacuated from our little town that is burning, but I will send you one when I get home.

John

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I ran across this thing the other day.  It was a key chain fob with the beaded chain running through the hole at the left end of it.  As you can see, it opens up revealing a hidden compartment for concealing secret messages or perhaps an emergency cigarette.  Gregg Motors was my Dad's dealership, which was in business in Miami from around 1949 to 1954.  He started out selling Crosleys very successfully, but when Crosley went under in 1952, he switched to VW, Hillman and finally Studebaker.  The dealership closed in 1954. 

Cheers,

Grog

IMG_1576.JPG

IMG_1572.JPG

IMG_1573.JPG

IMG_1574.JPG

I use to have one of those laying around. I think you will find that a short wooden pencil without eraser will slide into the metal part so you can carry a pencil on your keychain.

I don't think that  was the intent of this thing since the I.D. of the metal piece on the right is 5/16-inch, which is just enough larger than the average wooden pencil of around 1/4 inch.  Of course, there were "special" pencils produced that were of a larger diameter ... so who knows.  Certainly not me.

But then, back "in the day", what would have been more important ... a stub of a pencil or an emergency cigarette?

Cheers,

Grog

18 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Send me your address through a private message. Don't know when I will send it as I have been evacuated from our little town that is burning, but I will send you one when I get home.

John

It is overwhelming the amount of destruction from these fires. Here in northern CA many fires and lots of smoke. Hope all is well there.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.