Self Service Gas Station

capngrog

Anybody remember the dollar pumps?  In the days before major oil companies adopted self serve at their stations, you'd see these things, usually out in the middle of nowhere and always "private-label" gas. You fed the pump a dollar bill, similar to a self-serve car wash or soft drink machine and if you were lucky got some gas.

70s gas shortages and a high theft rate did them in.

The original post is hilarious😁

I do not remember the dollar pumps, but I do remember when the stations started taping a $1 sign in front of the price per gallon, as they only read up to .99.

I started driving in 1980, just in time for the next gas crunch go round. Gas was in short supply. My father (along with quite a few others I surmise) had a deal with a local gas dealer. They set up pumps in their distribution yard that were controlled by a numbered pad. Each 'subscriber' had their own code to punch in and that would turn on the pumps. I suppose at the end of the month the consumer got a bill in the mail. I never had a want for gasoline during that era. This was long before any kind of pay at the pump deal.

I started driving around the same time, and worked in a gas station with self service as well as full service aisles.  Full Service traffic would double in bad weather and if it was below 20 degrees, 90% of the custoners opted for full serve.  Gas prices seemed high but not like today! 

Seeing the discarded oil cans made me realize that they probably haven't made those can opener/spouts in twenty years, at least. I had several at one time, but I must've thrown them all out. They're probably collector items by now! 😄 Paper oil funnels are also something I haven't seen in a while.

I think early Vegas might be worth something, too. At least to resto-mod or pro-street Chevy guys who remember Grumpy Jenkins. I don't know if that era of Audi is worth much, though.

My friend had a BA - British American converted to GULF full service gasoline station in the early 1970's

It had high end cliental from the Ford Motor Company in Oakville, Canada. The Truck and Car Assembly Plants.

They kept saying self service stations would never catch on because all those rich executives and their wives would never pump their own gas.

I wonder if they were right ?

1 hour ago, Mark Gregory said:

My friend had a BA - British American converted to GULF full service gasoline station in the early 1970's

It had high end cliental from the Ford Motor Company in Oakville, Canada. The Truck and Car Assembly Plants.

They kept saying self service stations would never catch on because all those rich executives and their wives would never pump their own gas.

I wonder if they were right ?

They were partially right as my wife has never pumped as much as 1 cent worth of gas. She will drive 10 miles and pay the extra not to pump.  

• Like 1

Back in the '60's,  living in Sydney Australia, experienced a number of fuel supply shortages from the refineries. As a result there was panic buying followed by a "rationing system" ie licence plates ending in an even number being able to fill on even numbered days and odd numbers on odd numbered days. The rationing was enforced at full service "Service Stations", the Aussie term for gas station. Now, back then, all Service Stations were full service as technology had little influence on how you filled your tank. Except there was one pump, about 5 miles from home, that was self service and operated 24 hours a day. To operate the pump first you had to load it up with coins, in 20c increments, then you could fill your tank. Not many people knew about this pump, it wasn't in a regular Service Station and you could always pull in and fill up any time you wanted to. Kept our '28 Ford Tudor going this way all through the various shortage periods. And appreciated the lower flow of traffic because of people saving what fuel they had for when they needed it most.

Once drove to Florida from Flint in the goat wagon with a 16 gallon Vette gas tank on the roof "just in case". 500 mile range.  Never needed it. Now my Grand Cherokee tow car has a 600 mile range on the stock tank.

On 8/18/2020 at 6:09 PM, padgett said:

In Florida in the 60s, Direct Stations were self serve. I recall 18c/gal regular and 22c ethyl. No maps.

I remember thise prices in Florida.  For $1.00 I could get a pack of cigarettes and 3+ gallons of gas.

My brother and I drove to the Seattle World's Fair in 1962 in our 56 Ford and found gas was not cheap

everywhere.

But hose were the days of new tublesss tires, which we could get for FREE if punctured

.  Put a boot and tube in them and hit the road.  I told the story of that adventure a few years ago on this forum.

( 4 teenage boys with $100 each, did a lap of America)