Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Opel Open 2-seat + dickey. 1931. Reg. No. 7615. Background: Laffly Omnibus Vehicle Reg. No. 52-E14. Entry Nos: 196/7. Driver: Theodor, Rally entry 7, Concours entry No. 196. Coupe Boullot. Date:Artist Bill Brunell. (Photo by National Motor Museum/Heritage Images/Getty Images)

Opel Open 2-Seater And Laffly Omnibus : News Photo

This is a beautiful photo of a 1914-1915 Pierce Arrow Model C-3 Runabout taken under a motorway bridge in Delaware Park in Buffalo,New York.It is my opinion that this photo was taken while the car was under test by one of the factory drivers before doing some of the finishing touches like installing the windshield or Klaxon horn.I believe this photo is a factory photo on a glass plate negative and would love to know the source.I own a sister C-3 but mine is a Five Passenger Touring in very lovely original condition.Do anymore of these factory photos exist at the source? The photo to which I am referring is on page 66 and 67 showing the C-3 Pierce Arrow with the 1914 license plate being photographed under a bridge.

front view 1914 Series 3 PA.jpg

Edited by WDS
insert photo (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I will jump in here again to thank everyone who is contributing or looking at this thread!  It is the road  to period material of the vehicles we love, our passport and window to the pre war vehicles we cherish and have so much respect for. They are indeed a part of our life and we know for certain is the one thing that makes us happy in adverse times.  It pulls us all together from near and far. AACA has given us the opportunity to connect with that common admiration of history with wheels. Thank you AACA .

Walt

GRAHAM1930paneltruck001.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another Lincoln-Zephyr, this time a rare RHD Coupe (total manufacture 46 examples) converted to a fire tender serving the UK War Department''s Hawthorne Fire Section at Box in Wiltshire in 1940. This may seem like sacrilege but the British had lost some 25,000  vehicles in the retreat to  Dunkirk in May 1940 and emergency vehicles were in short supply. Hundreds of American cars were converted into fire trucks, ambulances and food wagons as they were large and strong. The Government purchased these but many patriotic  owners also gave their cars to the  war effort. 

LZ 102 001 (2).jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Colin, that is a great lesson in history that I was not aware of - the shortage of cars and thus the necessity of conversion due to the "large and strong" factor of American cars. Many reading this have not traveled by car on the roads and lanes of England and Wales. I have , and many of the roads were built to originally accommodate horse drawn wagons. A large pre war American car can be "interesting" to ride in from the perspective of how much room there is to maneuver the car around. This I was made very much aware of over 2 decades ago when a friend Colin Buckmaster took me for a fairly fast ride down the roads near his home in East Anglia in his 1937 Packard Super 8 sedan.  Quite an experience , as you mention a car like that 1937 Packard can be a very large car on some very narrow roads! I must say that Colin did stop at a countryside pub to let us have a scotch on the rocks - so I could get the blood flowing back into my knuckles that had turned white after the first few turns down the lanes we were driving on.

Walt, love the picture of the Packard roadster with the rumble seat windshield. I am looking for a  top boot as shown in the picture any condition for my survivor Packard roadster. I believe 3rd thru 6th series are the same 6 or 8 cylinder Packards 1926-1929. If anyone has one, please get in touch with me. Thanks, Jim Fredrick🛑

• Thanks 1

Jim

That image is from the Packard accessory catalog produced in I believe 1928. I need to check to be sure what accessory catalog , I have most all of the factory issued Packard accessory catalogs from about 1923/24 up until 1942 in my library . The rumble seat windshield and the tonneau windshield for the touring cars were offered by the Tonneau Co. of NY City , whose factory was based in Rhode Island. These were originally imported from England before becoming popular  in the USA.   A lot of the tonneau windshields were fitted to Packard touring cars in the 1925-35 era if the car was sold in the NY metropolitan area because the main Packard dealership was located a few blocks north of Columbus Circle at 61st and Central Park West. ( building no longer there) so a lot of companies focused on automobile accessories were very prevalent in NY City .

Walt

• Thanks 1

John to answer - Probably yes, BUT it would not be just one - rather one each for American cars - open, enclosed body , same for European cars, same for commercial vehicles.

I don't have total recall of everything in my collection and have  not looked completely and thoroughly at every image in Omnia magazine that was publish in France from about 1920 thru 1936 ( It was a monthly ! and I have a complete run except for about 6 issues) , then there are images in L'Illustration auto show numbers ( November issue) from the same period, Autobody magazine, LaCarrossiere magazine, plus the images in factory periodicals both here in the USA and in Europe - some of the photos /images in the sales literature printed in Europe but on American cars for sale there is amazing - especially Buick , Lincoln. It just goes on and on . For decades I had a fellow who was very astute about pre war motoring literature, act as my agent to buy things for me that he knew I would be interested in but didn't have already. 

Just within the past half year I was looking at an album of photographs of English truck bodies for model T chassis I had found and bought in London decades ago. One photo struck me and I spoke to my good friend Colin Spong in England. He owns one of the trucks pictured in the album! He and his late Father Fred,  found it decades ago and restored it with a period looking body but not the exact one as they didn't know what it looked like when they restored it 30-35 years or more ago.

It's all good , and that is why it is so important to share  here on the forums or in print in magazines.

It makes my year to be able to give someone a image or photo of the exact car they own. There are some great collections of material out there but the people that own them are hoarders, don't want to share what they have but just let people know enough to be envious of them. Why? Life is short - make people happy with history. Just the past few days I was able to scan and send someone an instruction book on an obscure American made car. Only one of the cars exists - well now the car can have a copy of the instructions that came with it to go with the car. I owe Marty Roth a big thanks for putting this together and letting me know that  one of the cars exist. It was like Christmas in May for me to do that.

Walt

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing that story Walt, I feel the same way when a piece of literature or a part can be connected to a car. Even it I'm not involved, it feels good knowing things are reunited. I always got a kick out of an INDY car that was reunited with its engine 50+ years after it was removed. Living a good life, being a nice guy paid off, plus outliving the guy with the engine. Bob  

efq.jpg

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2020 at 10:54 AM, LCK81403 said:

Hmmm.  As far as I know, being a junior member and all, nonetheless pushing 76 years, Checker never built their own cars.  This Checker Y 8 seems to be cobbled together from several manufacturers.  The radiator shell suggests a Hupmobile, outside chance a Studebaker.  The side of the hood kind of resembles some make that I can quite remember the name of.  The top / roof of the car is unique; never have seen one like that.  The wheel hubs are definitely unique and resemble wheel weighted rears on an Allis-Chalmers tractor.  Someone must know which car company was responsible for this design.

From my experience with Checkers in the 1950s, they were built for Checker by Chevrolet.

36 Checker Y 8 Taxicab.jpg

Chevy certainly did not build Checkers.  Checker manufactured more parts in house than any of the big 3.  As previously mentioned the drivetrain came from GM and in the 60s they stated using GM brake systems, moving away from Studebaker.  Checker made Chevrolet sheet metal, and in the end (1990s) Cadillac frames.  My 1984 Monte Carlo fenders are Checker manufactured.  FYI, the photo above is from Eyes on Design in Michigan.