Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Rt 44 in Greenville, RI. Looks like a place to buy Fisk Tires. Also maybe a Ford dealership. The building is still there as well as the building next door which was a Benny's (a local RI institution). On the corner is St. Thomas Episcopal Church.

All three buildings are still there today.

greenville ri.png

Edited by Den41Buick
Add (see edit history)
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, oldcarfudd said:

Are you sure?  This car's left door is hinged in back.  The other car's passenger door is hinged in front.  Unless the same car had two differently hung doors (on a custom job, anything is possible), they're not the same car.

The first car headlights are lower and it doesn't have running boards the second car appears to have narrow running boards.

17 hours ago, MetroPetro said:

E0E86ACD-9C3C-4C78-BC54-0C3A06494BFE.jpeg

Yeah, those Fords were TOUGH! Take a beating and just keep going!

Impossible? Think about it, and, I will tell you what you may not know. I worked in communications systems contracting for much of my life. I actually began working with my dad when I was about ten. I have personally dug narrow deep holes for utility poles in places an auger could not get to, more times than I care to admit. Depending upon application and size of pole, the hole is usually about two feet diameter, and six to eight feet deep! I still have the spade and spoon (special shovels) I used for years to dig such holes. "I been there and done that!"

The wires on the top of the pole are probably telephone wires. They may be small, but they are strong. They have to be to survive the winds and sag pressures pulling on them all the time. Those wires are going all directions from that pole. Each wire pulling the pole its way with about fifty to a hundred pounds pull! Times about thirty wires, plus a couple guy wires that might hold a few hundred pounds counter pull? The top of that pole isn't going anywhere very easily.

The accessorized 1920ish model T appears to be a couple years old. The buildings look to be about 1900 style given the size and shape of the windows. Sidewalks and streets look well established, and that pole may have been there for twenty years or more.

When I did do that kind of work, the bottom ten to fifteen feet of the pole was always soaked in a type of creosote. Creosote is nasty stuff! It is oily, tar like, and contains various chemicals that preserve the wooden pole. The creosote was allowed to soak in deep, it does a pretty good job of keeping water out! And what water does get in, the creosote kills the microbes that eat wood and cause wood to rot so badly. This pole was likely put in place at a point in the business when most poles were not being treated this way. How long it may last depends a lot on the surrounding soils. If the soil is sandy, water will usually drain away quickly once the rain stops. If the soil contains a lot of clay, that is bad news.

The concrete sidewalk does NOT prevent water from attacking the pole. Much to the contrary. Rain or snow melt sits around the surface of the concrete, soaks into the untreated pole, and wicks its way down to its bottom (fluid dynamics, water wants to go down and wants to make anything dry become wet). A lot of water sitting at the bottom of the pole soaks its way in. But once the surface dries, water isn't in any hurry to go away since the surrounding areas aren't all that dry, and the open air is up instead of down. So, once the bottom of the pole gets wet, the concrete actually helps to keep the pole from drying out. That in turn keeps the wood wet, not having been properly treated in those days the wetness of the wood feeds the "dry rot" (actually a living thing in the fungus family?). 

I have seen this photo several years ago. At that time, I wondered about a model T shearing off a large pole that way. So, I zoomed in close onto the photo. It appears the roughly two feet above the sidewalk are badly dry rotted. One can tell by the way the wood split up. There probably isn't much left of that pole below the surface of the sidewalk. The only thing holding that pole upright was the wires. 

The model T had an accessory bumper, it is pretty badly mangled, but still there. The car was probably doing about fifteen miles per hour or less when it hit the pole. The rotted wood gave way almost instantly, the bumper minimized the damage to the car, and created a bizarre photo opportunity.

• Like 6

Among the things that stand out in this great period view are the telegraph/telephone poles with their multiple crossarms which used to line every road and railroad line.  Those early gasoline pumps predate the tall visible tank types that replaced them.  That might well have been a Ford garage in the second building, it's the typical 19-teen/1920's dealership architecture.  Note the "Socony" oil sign on the front.   Thanks for posting this, Den41Buick.

'20's Greenville, RI, Putnam Ave.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Den41Buick said:

Rt 44 in Greenville, RI. Looks like a place to buy Fisk Tires. Also maybe a Ford dealership. The building is still there as well as the building next door which was a Benny's (a local RI institution). On the corner is St. Thomas Episcopal Church.

greenville ri.png

The last Benny's Hardware store in MA (Rte. 44 Raynham/Taunton) closed about 5 or 6 years ago.  They had a bunch of branches throughout RI and MA, and good stuff cheap!

On 6/13/2023 at 3:01 AM, wayne sheldon said:

When I did do that kind of work, the bottom ten to fifteen feet of the pole was always soaked in a type of creosote. Creosote is nasty stuff! It is oily, tar like, and contains various chemicals that preserve the wooden pole. The creosote was allowed to soak in deep, it does a pretty good job of keeping water out! And what water does get in, the creosote kills the microbes that eat wood and cause wood to rot so badly.

Railway ties were highly creosoted.

Craig

12 hours ago, MetroPetro said:

C5337BA7-EECA-4A52-B7FA-698D2358B569.jpeg

Wolseleys on the left. They did a complex range of models in the 1930s. The closest car looks to be a mid-size four cylinder model which shared its body with the contemporary Morris. In the middle looks to be the big 25 (RAC) hp six and at the back a small 10 hp four. Some info here - Wolseley Series III | The Wolseley Owners Club Archive

On the right look to be a range of models from the Audi/DKW stable.

Then and now look at the Paul Howards Flowerland. The red X is the building in the Google street view below.

Here is a link to an original brochure that has been digitized. Quite an incredible nursery at one time in the earlier days of Los Angeles.

Paul J. Howard's California Flowerland roses : spring 1947 catalog / Paul J. Howard's California Flowerland. : Paul J. Howard's California Flowerland : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

image.png.5bbf4dc85b560c43c003e1514d43ec13.png

image.png.e2710a11175057d2a4e887d885c2e73a.png

• Thanks 1