Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Langlois Brothers were turning out some nice bodies in Los Angeles during the 1920s and 1930s. You may not recognize the building today but the remnant is still in use today on San Pedro St.

image.png.07934e10a3eb631d6ac017a1315ee8c9.png

image.png.101f30d279281080aacc764b858e7509.png

image.png.2a9a1db9caeeffe3a231f21be53daf56.png

image.png.7b44cab40f375d7022be69309bad8e65.png

image.png.f79373e5fca911db8f6850a806b2fcd3.png

image.png.ccef959dad0c2e6cf83484061c575152.png

Recent google view with many changes.

image.png.7093e6a192983b2a01fb6c99a3b597aa.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 5

It's rare to see an early Leland-Built Lincoln, which was a weathered, used car when Duro System was using it to promote their auto refinishing program.  These images demonstrate that Edsel Ford had his work cut out for him to turn Lincoln into a classic beauty.  By my references, the body looks to be the standard Anderson (Towson) Body Co. touring.

'20's Lincoln -Leland - Duro System a.png

'20's Lincoln -Leland - Duro System b.png

• Like 2

It's amazing what you find when you stop and really study a photo

image.png.dd4c67851645bc37d68075c3354e047f.png

In this case I found a 1929 or 1930 Dodge Panel like mine. 
It's always neat to see a similar vehicle you own in old photos that shows different paint and accessories.

image.png.9a6ef03f37f54994e99f1a33db336f80.png

• Like 3

17 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Hopefully the signs were all saved, buildings are long gone.

image.png.afb0ddfaf13debb8a060831d67478b2f.png

image.png.51fa18c9a14465985b711b746c0974b3.png

In the "for whatever it is worth department" (not much?)? I wish I had some of that signage. I have a remarkably nice condition model T size 30 X 3 1/2 Hood Arrow tire in my small very old tires collection! Fifty years ago when I got it, it was mounted on a rim and actually run for about a hundred miles on a friend's model T! I carefully remounted it onto a rim only good enough to keep low pressure in and keep the tire stored in a cool dark space in the back of my best storage shed.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

In the "for whatever it is worth department" (not much?)? I wish I had some of that signage. I have a remarkably nice condition model T size 30 X 3 1/2 Hood Arrow tire in my small very old tires collection! Fifty years ago when I got it, it was mounted on a rim and actually run for about a hundred miles on a friend's model T! I carefully remounted it onto a rim only good enough to keep low pressure in and keep the tire stored in a cool dark space in the back of my best storage shed.

I have a model t tire that says 'Firestone Sentinel Balloon'             John 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

It's amazing what you find when you stop and really study a photo

This is something I have stated about period photos posted here since the first day I started the thread. Urge all of you to look past the vehicles at the signs, people and clothes they wear, street signs, road markers, lamp posts. roof tiles,  it is your window into the past of a century ago. I have given walking tours in the past of the village I reside in and point out architecture - details and signs . I still hope to do a walking tour of NY City to look at the buildings used for automotive purposes - dealerships, service garages, coach builders structures. The buildings in Manhattan that held the Hispano Suiza dealership, and Rollston coach works survive mostly as they were 80 years ago.  There were plans for a walking tour some years ago that Richard Lentinello and I had talked about doing, but life got in the way and it didn't happen .

I agree with Dave - 30 Dodge panel that before and after photos are just so terrific !

Walt

• Like 5

Here's a great example, @Walt G.

At first I was thinking "what in the world is a Pennsylvania vehicle doing with palm trees in the background, it must have been in Florida for a visit".

When I zoomed in, imagine my surprise to see the sticker on the windshield.

Beautiful Plymouth btw... (probably pretty rare too)

image.png.ad0e1ec648c132481f679edc5a6d4b57.png

image.png.1eefe399838ec191766b01519ca1d67f.png

• Like 4

That 1931 Plymouth model PA sedan is a twin to the first old car ( or any car) I bought at age 13 in 1963 ! WOW thanks Dave!

I would still own that car but got to long in the leg/to tall to fit behind the wheel to drive it., It was a car that really made me appreciate Chrysler products and I was welcomed by the members of the Plymouth 4 cylinder Owners Club and was not treated as some kid but as a fellow enthusiast. Jay Fisher who started the Plymouth club was a great friend and gave me 4 NOS hubcaps for my PA sedan as a gift because at my age I wanted to restore cars , preserve them as they were built, not plant a big V8 in them................all this 60 years ago.

Neat to see that windshield sticker for the Olympics. Long drive from Pa. to Ca. in 1932......................

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thank you, Walt for sharing those memories that speak volumes for your respect of automotive history. I can't help but think that if it wasn't for that passion in you then this thread may not have ever existed. Much appreciated friend...

As for Chrysler products, here's a lil stunner that should be of interest to some reading this.

No address given unfortunately so there's no way of telling if the building is still intact. I would bet it is...

image.png.01f3e39352afa4771f73231f1cc5eb48.png

image.png.ba4c31c5f7b13640ddda85322b272d70.png

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

No address given unfortunately so there's no way of telling if the building is still intact. I would bet it is...

It will take some time to trace but the name of the service company is on the side of the motorcycle service - that is one clue, Buildings in the background beyond the trees indicate a city, that is another clue, year on license plate is another clue ( to be used to find a city directory perhaps that can list the name of the company on the motor cycle.) And I can't make out what the sign on the lawn behind all this on the next block says- another clue?  Anyone out there care to join in this to do a search? help us out?

16 minutes ago, Walt G said:

It will take some time to trace but the name of the service company is on the side of the motorcycle service - that is one clue, Buildings in the background beyond the trees indicate a city, that is another clue, year on license plate is another clue ( to be used to find a city directory perhaps that can list the name of the company on the motor cycle.) And I can't make out what the sign on the lawn behind all this on the next block says- another clue?  Anyone out there care to join in this to do a search? help us out?

4515 S Vermont Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90037

The_Los_Angeles_Times_Sun__Jan_20__1929_.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

GREAT my friends, thanks Dave , thanks Al .

I love tracing down businesses and architecture/buildings as much as I do old cars.

Several decades ago in New York City I walked into the Waldorf Astoria Hotel ( kinda an upper class joint , not a dive - no tin trash cans out front) and was immediately asked if I can be helped by one of the well dressed staff . I mentioned in a somewhat " upper tone " level of voice - "I am looking for the auto parts store that was once in the south lobby"  and showed him a brochure for Nil Melior ( French for none finer) an upper class auto accessory store that was in business in the 1920s/early 1930s. and sold fancy lamps, etc for expensive cars. 
Well my comment about an auto accessory store in the lobby got a few frozen stares and maybe a dropped jaw. The fellow who asked to assist just froze , I politely thanked him and before leaving said in my best imitation of the Dead End Kids leader Leo Gorcey voice " Dat's where it was" and smiled and left.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

That 1931 Plymouth model PA sedan is a twin to the first old car ( or any car) I bought at age 13 in 1963 ! WOW thanks Dave!

I would still own that car but got to long in the leg/to tall to fit behind the wheel to drive it., It was a car that really made me appreciate Chrysler products and I was welcomed by the members of the Plymouth 4 cylinder Owners Club and was not treated as some kid but as a fellow enthusiast. Jay Fisher who started the Plymouth club was a great friend and gave me 4 NOS hubcaps for my PA sedan as a gift because at my age I wanted to restore cars , preserve them as they were built, not plant a big V8 in them................all this 60 years ago.

Neat to see that windshield sticker for the Olympics. Long drive from Pa. to Ca. in 1932......................

Wow Walt that sounds exactly like my life story!

Mine was a 1932 PB purchased in 1965 at age 15. Because I also bought a 1928 Q several years later I was a guest of Chrysler's celebration of the 40th anniversary of Plymouth in Dearborn in 1968. Were you there? I remember my 18 year old self was amazed that just because I owned this junky old car Chrysler Corp. put me up in Betsy Ross's house at the Dearborn Inn owned by rival manufacturer Ford Motor Co.! I like you were welcomed with open arms by the members of the Plymouth club including Jay Fisher who helped greatly later on with parts and advice. If memory serves me correctly I had already been drafted when I made this trip and went into the Marines upon returning. My developed pictures of this trip arrived soon after I did in Viet Nam and amazed our battery chaplain who it turned out was a fellow antique car owner. One story sticks in my mind all these years later. We met several former Plymouth employees and one told me when my Q was built it was full on winter and the factory was not fully built. He said the last wall  of the building was canvas and covered two NY Central locomotives whose boilers were used to heat the plant temporarily! 

Howard Dennis

• Like 3

Howard,

It is interesting to see how some of us have parallel life experiences even with the same people ( like Jay Fisher) involved.  We survived the years and we are still into old cars.

Hard to think that when we first got our old cars in the 1960s that they were only 30 years old but due to the styling , mechanical nature seemed a lot older. The new cars in the showroom then  are now older then what we owned at the time. Kinda weird to go to a show and think that I saw a car on display in a showroom that is now qualified as an "antique".

I tried to get to the 1968 Chrysler celebration but didn't make it.

I remember having Plymouth club local meetings here at my house because we had the room for a lot of people to meet in the finished basement. People would drive over from NJ and Conn. to attend  on a regular basis all owning cars from about 1948 or earlier. One fellow Frank Hutton still owned the 1942 Plymouth sedan  he bought new!  I admired Jay Fisher and remembered his side business was to make side mount mirrors for spare tire and post mount mirrors as well. Guess people I considered "old timers" ( early into the car hobby preservation) then , now makes me an "old timer" - yikes 🙄.  The Plymouth Club and Chrysler Products owners club would have their annual big show at Hershey the Sunday morning after the AACA show was done.  Annual Plymouth Club banquet/dinner someplace in Hershey each year in October during the show/flea market week.

Walt

• Like 5