Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

19 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Honolulu businessman Nolle R. Smith (1888 - 1982) stands outside the home of Chicago publisher Robert Abbott, Chicago, IL, 1930. Smith was elected District Governor for Hawaii's 50th District in 1937. (Photo by The Abbott Sengstacke Family Papers/Robert Abbott Sengstacke/Getty Images)

gettyimages-109714856-2048x2048.thumb.jpg.83b8d3e466d7e474b254c42e3d2c1bda.jpg

Appears to be a 1929 Pierce-Arrow Model 143 convertible coupe.  Distinguishing characteristics from 1930 Model A include flat headlight lenses and small auxiliary lights.

Edited by Grimy
fixed typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

See people really did drive around with crystal radiator mascots.

3-litre Lagonda of RD Tong fording the River Exe at Yealscombe, Devon, JCC Lynton Trial, 1932. Lagonda 3-litre Event Entry No: 7 Driver: Tong, R.D. Finished: 2nd. Place: River Exe, Yealscombe. J.C.C. Lynton Trial. Date: 1.10.32. Artist Bill Brunell. (Photo by National Motor Museum/Heritage Images/Getty Images)

gettyimages-615525790-2048x2048.thumb.jpg.193a3d3e9b01448fa1152a64b7b22779.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Regarding the photos posted by John Mereness, of "West Street Row in Manhattan".  The automobile that was zeroed in on appears to be a 1935 Terraplane.  I have attached a faded color photo of my 1935 Terraplane four door sedan, that I photographed in the summer of 1966 in a park at Waconia, Minnesota.  In the West Row Manhattan photo, you can see the hump trunk at it's rear.  My '35 also had the hump truck, which I always strongly disliked, and when I took the photo of my car I purposely skewed the camera to cut off the hump trunk.  My Terraplane was a barn find original car that I bought in 1965.  It still had war rationing stickers on the inside of the windshield.  At that time the car was owned by an old woman whose husband had died of stomach cancer ten years before.  They were an old German couple, she didn't speak English and I needed to use her nephew as a translator to negotiate the sale and transfer.  Her husband, Gust (Gustaph) had been the only driver of the Terraplane.  They had traded in their Maxwell for the new Terraplane.  The only thing she knew about cars was that the oil needed to be changed.  In 1956 she contacted a garage service two blocks away to change the oil in Gust's Terraplane.  The service men from the garage came with a tow truck, jacked up the Terraplane to remove four short saw horses that Gust had made and put under the axles.  The saw horses kept the tires about two inches off the ground in their one-bay garage.  The servicemen towed the Terraplane to their garage because the old lady would not let them drive it; only Gust was allowed to drive the car.  The oil was changed, the gas tank was topped off, the car was towed back to the garage and put back up on the saw horses.  That is where I found the car in 1965, with a thick coat of dust on it's beautiful black lacquer paint.  The odometer showed 24,000 miles, the nearly bald original tires still held air.  The original battery was still in the vehicle, drivers side, under the feet.  Surprisingly enough the battery case was made of wood, dove tailed on the corners.  I had never seen a wood case battery before then.  My dad and I towed the car to our place, about two miles, dad took a closer look at the battery, topped up the water in the cells and said that it actually might work.  We put a trickle charger on it over night.  The next morning, we took the air cleaner off, dad dribbled some gas down the intake while I pushed the starter button on the dash and the car started right up and ran perfectly.  The only little glitch being the old gasoline.  While the tank had been topped up in 1956 (ten years previous) the gauge now showed there was only a half tank due to evaporation.  The exhaust smelled like an old time kerosene lantern burning old kerosene.  Regardless of the odor, however, the 88 H.P. straight six ran just fine, and with fresh gasoline into the tank the odor disappeared.  Years later, due to circumstances I needed to sell the Terraplane.  A fellow from the Chicago area bought it.

35 Terraplane.png

35 Terraplane 01-07.JPG

35 Terraplane 02-07.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

193252164978_gettyimages-107413261-2048x2048(1).thumb.jpg.23f0f59df511d8d6ec4d1ddca7c4bc63.jpg5 Paris Auto Show

That is a SHOCKINGLY modern-looking Avions-Voisin, especially for 1935. I absolutely love Avions Voisin, as funky as they are. They seemed to be in competition with Bucciali to build the lowest possible car.

file.php?id=12470

On the downside, I think that Avions-Voisin may also have been the inspiration for this:

The%20Car%202%20DVD%20HD.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

The Baron of Montpellier, actually on his way to a rallye in Monte Carlo, at a short residence in Paris

gettyimages-106889884-2048x2048.thumb.jpg.018af8a859519f4ad58b4b3ee4a951f7.jpg

Wonder if Baron Montpellier was trying to disguise his Chrysler Eight to look like something more exotic?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

3-litre Lagonda of RD Tong fording the River Exe at Yealscombe, Devon, JCC Lynton Trial, 1932. Lagonda 3-litre Event Entry No: 7 Driver: Tong, R.D. Finished: 2nd. Place: River Exe, Yealscombe. J.C.C. Lynton Trial. Date: 1.10.32. Artist Bill Brunell. (Photo by National Motor Museum/Heritage Images/Getty Images)

This fording photo reminds me of one of my all-time favorite shots:

910437711_9BrierleyWarPhoto-BradleyCadillac2.jpg.1afdd3d9d2708fbb39cb659041fb9364.jpg

General Bradley and his Cadillac limousine fording a river somewhere in Europe.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Wow.  Poor taste existed even in period.

Amelia Earhart, Ruth Nicholls and Louise Thaden

7/6/1933-Los Angeles, CA- Photo shows three interesting figures at the National Air Races here, which have attracted world-famed aviators from all parts of the world. Left to right: Amelia Earhart, transcontinental flyer; Ruth Nicholls and Louise Thaden.

gettyimages-515355344-2048x2048.thumb.jpg.c0033982eb588f6ddd3d67df19541314.jpg

• Like 1

Minerva had a great dealership in N Y City in the era just after WWI with most of the cars arriving from Belgium in chassis form to be bodied here . Look for a photo/history of this later in the year in Hemmings Classic Car magazine.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

Here are some car related patents I got with the regular stuff I get in when buying lots of literature.  I have no knowledge about any of these. 

IMG_4535.JPG

That appears to be a 1914 Pnuemobile.

It was equipped with air suspension, hence its name.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

I saved this photo and others from a dumpster when they cleaned out the house just up the road from me. Told the guy it was sad that there were no family members that wanted them. His reply "Everyone's life ends up in a dumpster" will stick in my mind forever. Rare that any photo has a note on the back. " Curtiss-Wright Condor American Airlines stopped at the New Haven municipal Airport during air meet  Oct. 6, 1935 A.A.Red" 

Bob

DSCF6078.JPG

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Home town of one of his most formidable opponents, Senator William E. Borah, Boise gave President Roosevelt one of the most enthusiastic receptions accorded him on his current western trip. Here you see the President riding through the streets with Mrs. Roosevelt and Governor B. Worth Clark of Idaho just before the President delivered an address at the State Capitol.

gettyimages-653752038-2048x2048.thumb.jpg.035b637d0df78bc2a1369e09d857adc0.jpg

• Like 1