Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

• Peter Gariepy locked, unlocked, featured and unfeatured this topic
47 minutes ago, hddennis said:

Could that possibly be Packard's "Old Pacific" on the left?

Howard Dennis

view.webp.d18c4fa3fd76750b402297a9bbc4df31.webp

Sure does look like it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

@hook that's a diverse little group of early vehicles. Any idea the year and location of the photo?

Would like to see better photos of the engine on that trike on the left.

image.png.dd759832e81c95cae7b008f90d262685.png

As you can see on the photo, it's dated 1902. The location is Seaford, Delaware. A Mr. Edward Allen had a bicycle repair shop at that time, and I believe it's probably his shop. It's also believed that Ed had the first car in Seaford. He and Arnold Greenabaum were very interested in self propelled vehicles. The first car dealership in Seaford was in 1917, owned by Tillie Bryan and he sold Franklins, Oldsmobile's & Maxwells. I think you would be better off talking to someone who collects antique bikes and motorcycles for info on that trike. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TG57Roadmaster said:

Circa 1921 LaFayette Brougham or Cabriolet by Brunn at the Albright-Knox Gallery in Buffalo, NY. Brunn & Co. builds were often photographed in front of the museum.

The large LaFayette cars of the 1920s have not been given enough mention nor images shown of what neat cars they were. Just size wise they could easily accommodate heavier coachwork. I  have several period photos of cars in Buffalo, photographed at that same location. Brunn used it many many times to have a place to let his creations pose for a photo.

Thanks Tom for this . note that just about everything on the car was painted - not plated.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Walt G said:

The large LaFayette cars of the 1920s have not been given enough mention nor images shown of what neat cars they were. Just size wise they could easily accommodate heavier coachwork. I  have several period photos of cars in Buffalo, photographed at that same location. Brunn used it many many times to have a place to let his creations pose for a photo.

Thanks Tom for this . note that just about everything on the car was painted - not plated.

Walt:

Saw this at Hershey last year.DSC01113.JPG.f87c445f408991ef1e81e5eda1471dd1.JPG

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Yesterday I went to a restaurant in Rio de Janeiro and found this photo hanging on the wall. I think it could be a 1928 Chrysler, but I am not sure.

Very interesting place, opened in 2015, in a house built in 1904. The original owner, Mr. Cerqueira Lima, was the founder of Touring Club of Brazil, and his daughter lived in the house until 2014, at the age of 104. The old photo was taken in the back yard area, near to the garage, with Mr. Cerqueira Lima on the side.

The Touring Club of Brazil was created in 1923 in order to promote better conditions for motorists traveling in the country. Mr. Cerqueira Lima was a important and active car enthusiast in Brazil in the 1920s and 1930s.

It was totally by chance I went to that restaurant last night, fortunately well preserved building as you can see in the picture, with this amazing connection to the early automotive history in Brazil.

IMG_2695.jpeg

IMG_2696.jpeg

Touring Club of Brazil offering car registration services in Rio de Janeiro in 1932.

image.png.2965e21612d84f01ea3ee191fa0c23fb.png

Edited by JRA (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

WOW, what an amazing building. Look at the cast design trim, the ironwork on the windows/gate incredible. thank you for including a photo of the building, made my day to see this and know it is in great condition.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JRA said:

Yesterday I went to a restaurant in Rio de Janeiro and found this photo hanging on the wall. I think it could be a 1928 Chrysler, but I am not sure.

Very interesting place, opened in 2015, in a house built in 1904. The original owner, Mr. Cerqueira Lima, was the founder of Touring Club of Brazil, and his daughter lived in the house until 2014, at the age of 104. The old photo was taken in the back yard area, near to the garage, with Mr. Cerqueira Lima on the side.

The Touring Club of Brazil was created in 1923 in order to promote better conditions for motorists traveling in the country. Mr. Cerqueira Lima was a important and active car enthusiast in Brazil in the 1920s and 1930s.

It was totally by chance I went to that restaurant last night, fortunately well preserved building as you can see in the picture, with this amazing connection to the early automotive history in Brazil.

IMG_2695.jpeg

IMG_2696.jpeg

Touring Club of Brazil offering car registration services in Rio de Janeiro in 1932.

image.png.2965e21612d84f01ea3ee191fa0c23fb.png

Edited by 31 LaSalle
pressed wrong button (see edit history)

I agree with Walt G lovely building 

the car could be a 1928 series 75   it has the same front bumper as my 1928 series 72 one year only build 1928

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 31 LaSalle said:

the car could be a 1928 series 75   it has the same front bumper as my 1928 series 72 one year only build 1928

I think it is a Series 72, the Series 75 has a different radiator shell, with thin edges.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 31 LaSalle said:

1929 was the year for the Model 75.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Walt G said:

WOW, what an amazing building. Look at the cast design trim, the ironwork on the windows/gate incredible. thank you for including a photo of the building, made my day to see this and know it is in great condition.

always makes my day to see these types of things too.

Very few things bring people together like historic architecture, family genealogy and automobiles. They always seem to be an adhesive that keep us all attached in some way or another, no matter what part of the world we visit. One of the reasons this thread has been so successful in my honest opinion.

And to think, we haven't even really touched on post war photos and the dynamics that brought us to the present day. In my view, that speaks volumes to the impact the pre-war era played in recent history. 

• Like 3

Dave - your comments could have been exactly what I would have said.

this sharing of earlier times, places, architecture, cars etc brings a world to those who may not be aware of what we who post this have cherished for many decades.

I am not putting down in any way what has happened post WWII era but feel if we can make others aware of "what was" earlier then we can appreciate more what happened before the era where a machine and electronics did the thinking for us at the tap of a button. You don't have to focus on "earlier" every day but should be aware of it everyday to appreciate it and who did it. We all learn from each other : those with earlier vehicles about newer ones and those with newer ones from what was created and forms the foundation of what they own.

Dave thank you for your observations and comments, I will move on now as I have mentioned recently I have to go dormant or face harsh and unwarranted critics for what I try to share from those who know and see all - in their modest(?) opinion...................

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Note the huge Western Auto Sign and Rajo on the top of the hill at a distance. Pretty amazing scene once you zoom in a few times...

Rajo was for "Rajo Jack"  MotorCities - Remembering Rajo Jack, One of the 1st Black American Racers | 2023 | Story of the Week

(EDIT and Correction - The Rajo sign on the hill is NOT for Rajo Jack the driver, but I'm leaving a link for him as I believe it's worthy of a place in it's own historical context and to show that advances in equality are nothing new). Thank you to RetroPetro for the correction.

If your anything like me, your mind starts to wander while looking at this photo as you start asking yourself, "where were the bathrooms and what else was going on here"? Then when you zoom all the way to the left you can see what appears to be concession trucks, then in the middle some buildings with possible out houses and so forth...

The more I view it, the more I see. Just an incredible photo capturing what must have been a fantastic day for everyone in attendance. Click the link to see the real effect. Take some time to poke around on there and donate to them if you can.

Parked cars, Legion Ascot Speedway, Los Angeles. November 26, 1924. - Photographs - Huntington Digital Library

image.png.5deec19bf446f07141e29fbcaec2a481.png

image.png

Meanwhile, on the other side of those hills this is what they were waiting on as they left the starting line.

Note the sign at the top of the hill in this next photo "Look-City Terrace Lots..."

image.png.1eb8b59e0fc1364adb1a51b3de476707.png

Can you imaging being at that race as a young boy or man while waiting on names like Pinky Richardson and Wild Bob Burman to come up over the hill?

image.png.c7a1a3621f728fa497a364298612da80.png

image.png.17fdbd4b8d2dc4e101abf0609e001ece.png

Same race day unknown driver

image.png.1014272fb3f99e472fa92a8e3f04f4e1.png

Some of the sections of the track showing close up action

image.png.9c1ff7879f73f967581cf3c333e912ad.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, RetroPetro said:

"Rajo was for "Rajo Jack" "

No, RAJO was an automobile parts manufacturer that sold heads, water pumps, gauges, etc for Fords and other makes in that era.

Thanks for the correction, I had never seen or heard of that word or spelling before and had assumed that since that was his "stage name" the link was made.

What's that saying about assuming?...

Learn something new everyday....

Funny thing is, I was thinking to myself, why would they have a huge billboard for only one driver? lol

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1