Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

On 3/2/2024 at 12:23 PM, 30DodgePanel said:

image.png.5b8a5ebcd00c5c10e5ddb0134d0d3199.png

Nice period photo of a 1928 Dodge Brothers Victory Six.  The early Victory Sixes were some of the last true Dodge Brothers cars before Chrysler bought the company.  This appears to be the a 130 series car which was the first iteration of the Victory Six.  They were built in 1928 and 1929.  These are great cars that feature all steel bodies and Lockheed hydraulic brakes.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, A Woolf said:

Nice period photo of a 1928 Dodge Brothers Victory Six.  The early Victory Sixes were some of the last true Dodge Brothers cars before Chrysler bought the company.  This appears to be the a 130 series car which was the first iteration of the Victory Six.  They were built in 1928 and 1929.  These are great cars that feature all steel bodies and Lockheed hydraulic brakes.  

Once I read about the Victory Six name adopted by Dodge-Brothers in 1928 was to celebrate the decade after WW1 end in 1918. Is this true?

2 hours ago, JRA said:

Once I read about the Victory Six name adopted by Dodge-Brothers in 1928 was to celebrate the decade after WW1 end in 1918. Is this true?

I have no idea.  The Victory Six was the mid priced model of the DB line in 1928.  The names of the other two models in the lineup were Standard and Senior.  Those are pretty generic names and it does beg the question why was the mid priced car given a more interesting and distinctive name. 

I'll spot you the first letter of this car's name - "B"  and the idea that it's 30HP.  And I double-dog dare you to identify this car!  It's written on the back of the picture. I had never heard of it.

AntiqueB.jpg

• Like 4

Here's a 1933 Isotta Fraschini, Castagna when new, taken in Central Park, NY where so many of these classics were photographed by coachbuilders, manufacturers or in this case, must have been the distributor or dealer, & then later at Pacific Auto Rentals, with a 1939 CA license plate. looks like the Stephen Grebel headlights went missing, along with the original bumper.   Current internet shows the Grebel's are back on the car now!

IsottaPhaetonPacificAutoRentals.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HK500 said:

I'll spot you the first letter of this car's name - "B"  and the idea that it's 30HP.  And I double-dog dare you to identify this car!  It's written on the back of the picture. I had never heard of it.

AntiqueB.jpg

I’ll go with a 1911 Bergdoll (1910-13) made in Philadelphia.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, HK500 said:

Here's a 1933 Isotta Fraschini, Castagna when new, taken in Central Park, NY where so many of these classics were photographed by coachbuilders,

That Central Park, NY City photograph was taken by commercial photographer John Adams Davis at his favorite spot mid way through the park . car is facing west and you are looking north. Davis had a studio location in an office building not far away.

About 15 years ago I went into NY to try to locate that same spot and did so , used other photos of the era that showed the tops of tall buildings to place the east/west road . It by then had grown over quite a bit but one could still see the crest of the hill/roll of the land and a few of the young trees now very much larger and mature.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Avenida Almirante Barroso; Palace Hotel and the Jockey Club building, circa 1922.

JockeyClub.jpg.873c39b67d022b146e95990857dfdf99.jpg

Washington Luís in an open car, Avenida Beira Mar, Rio de Janeiro.

WashingtonLuis.jpg.83c14ec2f28c4f65e9e5392af20057a4.jpg