Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Some years ( decades?) ago when in Indianapolis for a board meeting of SAH we had a bus tour and drove by the building that Weymann used for its HQ and shops and it still looked very much like it did "in the day" with newer entrance doors. I wanted to take the time to go ask if we could walk around inside the building but got "the look" from the rest of the SAH board of " no we won't do that" with raised eyebrows. Some thought I was joking and one member of the board just rolled his eyes and said " no he is not"...............  He knew that I had spent the better part of a day walking the empty floors of the former Franklin factory in Syracuse  NY not long before . Of course it was all in the name of seeking to see the architecture - yep it really was .....................

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

He knew that I had spent the better part of a day walking the empty floors of the former Franklin factory in Syracuse  NY not long before . Of course it was all in the name of seeking to see the architecture - yep it really was .....................

Part of the fun is to see what the workers' environment was like when they were employed there.  South Bend "self-tour" #2: The Foundry - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum   

South Bend and Avanti II production in 1971 pics - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum

Of course, the workers most likely never gave it any thought.  One of the first things I do when going inside an older building where I have business on the premises, be it a house, office, factory, etc., I'll often check the metal strip inside the windows for a year of manufacture, if they are Thermopane or Twindow sealed units if the opportunity permits.

Craig

• Like 2

Another one from New Zealand's South Island West Coast. The caption with this one states - " J Low picking up his new bus from the Rail at Otira. In 1926 he was doing Greymouth to Cobden and Blaketown. He also bought a Republic bus and a 10- seater Chev he got from Schaefs. He was doing the Runanga bus run from 1926 to 33 when he lost his buses and house in a fire at Runanga. In June 33 he terminated his bus license. Schaef photo."

In front of the Chev bus is a rare Cleveland four motorcycle. This is the first I have seen evidence of one in NZ.

Chev J Low bus and Cleveland at Otira..jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MetroPetro said:

IMG_4458.jpeg

Amazing picture! Good example of accessory shop in the 1920s. I will ask Santa Claus for Biflex bumpers, once I haven’t misbehaved this year!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

the Automobile Salons were held at the Hotel Commodore until the last show in Dec. 1931.

It was a "by invitation" only show and only featured custom bodied cars. So the general public was not invited.

There was an Automobile Show that did see the general public allowed to attend.

Not trying to nit pick but the salons and shows do get confused!

In Europe ( Berlin, Brussels, London and Paris) were called motor shows and sometimes salons and had both custom bodied cars as well as the factory produced vehicles.  All were invited to attend with no specific invitations.

• Like 5

Pierce Arrow 1931 Waterhouse Convertible Coupe from magazine coverage of the New York Automobile Salon at the Commodore - "Town and Country" magazine if my memory is correct.

photo443.jpg.7374ca0ebb5d3722206589e19c45078f.jpg

Maybe someone can rotate it for me.

Don

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, DLynskey said:

Pierce Arrow 1931 Waterhouse Convertible Coupe from magazine coverage of the New York Automobile Salon at the Commodore - "Town and Country" magazine if my memory is correct.

Don

Hmm, interesting. It didn't want to remain stable by conventional rotation so I made a 'web capture' and rotated and cropped that.  Did both of them.

Web capture_26-12-2023_94933_content.invisioncic.com.jpeg

Web capture_26-12-2023_94827_content.invisioncic.com.jpeg

This Packard in New Zealand has a replica of a Waterhouse body - 

30 L745I at teretonga 0220 Allan Dick photo.jpg

30 L745I Packard Jonathon Paape photo Wanaka 0121.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DLynskey said:

Chrysler 1931 Le Baron Phaeton from magazine coverage of the New York Automobile Show at the Commodore - "Town and Country" magazine if my memory is correct.

photo438rotated2.jpg.6cb67042cb4502b7cf817a90335a72cd.jpg

Don

1931 C.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

A Duesenberg ad from 1918 - at least that is the date given where it was posted.

Would anyone like to guess what make of car is represented there?

When did those Disteel wheels first appear?

18 Duesenberg ad.jpg

By looking at the ad, I would say Model A Duesenberg.

Disteel wheels came in the early 1920s - can't be specific to exact year, someplace here I have a sales catalog they issued promoting their wheels that is well illustrated I will try to find it , but I am in the middle of reorganizing  and sorting my library which will be going on for the winter months ( 50 years of collecting WWI to WWII era) so contributing an answer will not happen immediately.

On 12/25/2023 at 3:39 PM, DLynskey said:

Don

Do you know of a source for Town and Country magazines in that period?

This advertisment from 1935 accentuates the difference with many reproduction tires which are typically smaller and smooth.   Although, in the recent years tires like "Bedford" (which runs large) and Excelsior have done a good job of recreating that period look.

s-l640.jpg.1db202b1545646870cff562ce8cba2cf.jpg

• Like 5

14 hours ago, alsancle said:

Do you know of a source for Town and Country magazines in that period?

Ebay, but you can't afford it -- well, I can't anyway.  In the 1950's there was an abandoned mansion near my home, and some friends and I decided to explore it. That magazine was among many scattered around, and as a car nut even at that age of 12 or so years, I "liberated" it.  I wouldn't recommend trying that these days.

Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DLynskey said:

Ebay, but you can't afford it -- well, I can't anyway.  In the 1950's there was an abandoned mansion near my home, and some friends and I decided to explore it. That magazine was among many scattered around, and as a car nut even at that age of 12 or so years, I "liberated" it.  I wouldn't recommend trying that these days.

Don

You can access the entire run of Town and Country if you have a New York Public Library card.   There is definitely some cool coverage that I was unaware of.   I have relied on Autobody magazine mostly,  but there are some other magazines that covered the salons. 

EDIT:  This is from Harpers Bazaar.

image.png.27e8f70b5d4d2f927067cf082cf7aba7.png

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

Also Harpers Bazar,  special Lincoln built for Al Jolson.

image.png.1fd19e4e2762e9139b66e9bf526fee27.png

A.J.:

Was the coachbuilder named?  Lincoln catalogued a Brunn-designed, Murray-build 4-passenger coupe, Model 143 during 1925-'26 of this style.   Lincoln changed to parabolic headlights for 1927 which helps date this car.   Both Derham and McNear built similar 4 passenger coupes with the low integrated deck and that style molding treatment in the 1924-'26-timeframe. 

Steve

• Like 3