Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

The Our Gang group had evolved from the "Silent" pictures of the early 1920s with many of the "Gang" aging out for other actors to maintain the same age grouping. By 1929 when this photo was taken, they were making "Talkies". Joe Cobb, (Tubbie) Farina, Mikey Daniels (I believe). The black-haired girl's name escapes me. But is not the later 1930s Darla. The small boy next to Peety the dog, his name in the movies was Weezer.

Note the signage on the White Bus. Hal Roach Studios. Above the windshield and on the passenger door.

Apologies for the poor quality image.  Am curious about this make, and if those front fenders are unique enough to help identify the car in the Deckers, CO photo posted a while ago that had similar fenders (I don't think anyone ID'ed it yet).

sedan.jpg

Those splash apron doors are unique, so ID of the car and coach builder should be easy..........on paper.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, twin6 said:

Apologies for the poor quality image.  Am curious about this make, and if those front fenders are unique enough to help identify the car in the Deckers, CO photo posted a while ago that had similar fenders (I don't think anyone ID'ed it yet).

sedan.jpg

1924 Paige/Detroit.

1924 Paige Detroit.JPG

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, twin6 said:

sedan.jpg

Paige 6-70, 1923 or 1924.  We can barely see the vee-ed radiator but it's there.  Side-mounted spares first appeared for the 1923 model.  And those are primarily kick plates, but the rear one has a fastener to permit opening for lubing the front shackle of the rear spring.

• Like 3

The distraction of the child actors, child actress, and Petey has been interesting.  But the make of the car, license tag 3V-9366 has escaped identification.  Is it a Hupmobile?

Oddly enough, the man looking out of the motor bus, plate # 1V-4800, reminds me of my grandfather looking out from his Minneapolis gas tractor.

Tubby, Farina, Mickey, Mary, Weezer, Petey.jpg

Charles Krsiean Dorothy Krsiean Christenson.jpg

• Like 1

There are several other interesting things about this Hal Roach photo. The actor playing the policeman is wearing a very excellent full flap holster in a possible basket weave design.  That is highly unusual for a policeman.  The length of it indicates a revolver having a barrel length of at least six inches.  However, police in those days normally had revolvers with a 4-inch and/or 5-inch barrel length (Colt or Smith & Wesson), hence the holster he is wearing appears to be out of place.  For police issue an expensive basket weave design holster would be extravagant.  Also he is supposedly wearing a police hat, but it looks like a modified civilian "dockworker" cap.  The metal button on top of the cap is a rivet that joins the material together, but that metal button ca be a danger to the person wearing it.  A strike on top of the head that hits that metal button can cause serious damage to the skull.  One of my brother's was hit on the "bonker button" and he never again wore a cap with such a metal device.

280554339_7436073769767359_4014706393864259256_n.jpg

280554339_7436073769767359_4014706393864259256_n - Copy.jpg

41i4D5d5mrL._AC_SR320,400_.jpg

46 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

The distraction of the child actors, child actress, and Petey has been interesting.  But the make of the car, license tag 3V-9366 has escaped identification.  Is it a Hupmobile?

Oddly enough, the man looking out of the motor bus, plate # 1V-4800, reminds me of my grandfather looking out from his Minneapolis gas tractor.

Charles Krsiean Dorothy Krsiean Christenson.jpg

1929 DeSoto.

On 2/1/2021 at 11:39 PM, nzcarnerd said:

A Saurer bus, presumably in Switzerland. Date - ??

50s 15 Saurer.jpg

The picture was definitely taken in Switzerland, probably in the early 1950's. The bus appears to be a Saurer L4C Alpenwagen. The Federal Mail Service operated those buses to transport people and mail in alpine regions where localities are inaccessible by railways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Note on the tour bus photos the men with very few exceptions all are wearing ties, and caps or hats. Says a lot about the era - today if a cap is worn it is usually on backwards  so you can show everyone 'you are from da hood'  and your favorite expression is "we bad". 

Third photo down - LOVE that stone building! wow.

The Saurer vehicles were interesting.  One truck made the first transcontinental U.S. trip.  A nephew, Curt Saurer, came to the U.S. from Switzerland, worked for Saurer/Mack trucks in the U.S. in early 1900s, eventually worked for Firestone many years and invented vibration-isolating rubber and steel engine mounts, had about 50 U.S. patents.

A_Grand_Adventure_cover.jpg.665807c5c2d2ee06dc7c747a2d48fe7f.jpg

The cover of the book about the early Saurer truck that drove across the U.S.

(photo colorized)

patent_dwg_1977896.JPG.797117c302a455200082dd4c7f48ce8b.JPG

Curt Saurer's patent for a rubber engine mount, 1931.

Curt_Vera_circa_1960.jpg.0b114a520daf4cc30eea8061adbf4254.jpg

Curt Saurer and his wife Vera.  Photo courtesy of his grandson.

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Walt G said:

LOVE that stone building! wow.

It‘s actually not a building, it‘s a road driven through the rocks - the Axen Road along the shore of Lake Lucerne. Photographer Michael Aschwanden made photographs of people passing by; pedestrians, riders, horse drawn carriages, cyclists, motorists, single people, groups, workers, tourists, army, young, old, rich, poor….of just everyone that came by. Between 1911 and 1933 he took more than 7000 pictures.

C04D29D8-B073-40E9-B431-28C0EE183A49.jpeg

84B13753-DDAC-4D07-8CC2-677A3FD39BF5.jpeg

0A68423F-C92F-4A1E-B655-CC3D2E9E12B2.jpeg

2805B7E4-D800-4B13-A271-98FCB16D17DF.jpeg

Edited by Peter R. (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Peter R. said:

The picture was definitely taken in Switzerland, probably in the early 1950's. The bus appears to be a Saurer L4C Alpenwagen. The Federal Mail Service operated those buses to transport people and mail in alpine regions where localities are inaccessible by railways.

I imagine any journey in that area, especially in a closed-body bus, would be slow, with lots of engine and transmission noise, any vibration being transmitted back through the body structure,  and the driver having to make frequent gear changes.

Driving one of those big charas with no front brakes must have required a lot of skill - even at 20 kph.

1 minute ago, Peter R. said:

AFB973AF-EFA5-421A-8606-F111441D69FB.jpeg

ED4F59EC-8249-4FEA-8E90-6F1979A60BA6.jpeg

235F67CD-DE9B-4122-9E6E-133D817D26C5.jpeg

F0C21034-CCD5-4807-97F6-E6EE27E6D688.jpeg

Relatively rare Harley Sport Twin in the lower photo.

Interesting that throughout history have always been people on the move. In the current 'global warming' political climate there are those activists who would rather people stayed where they were.