Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

5 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

image.png.c069144c394b632dce8777008bf44a1d.png

Out of curiosity I tried to work out where in Nottingham this is. St Peters Church can be seen in the background. I think the are where this photo was taken has been redeveloped and is now part of the local university. (As an aside, in a similar manner, the area where the house where my forebears lived in in Lincoln, UK, has been swallowed up by the local university.)

Web capture_21-3-2022_204117_www.google.com.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2022 at 1:22 PM, twin6 said:

No pitchforks, just an Arrow.  Ed can tell us more about the car.

1934.JPG

1930 Series A Seven Passenger Touring.........to pick up from Walt.......

Monochrome Paint, Single Horn, Wire Wheels & Sidemounts, Painted Winterfront, Sidemount Mirrors, Plate Surround..........probably a local hotel’s car.........and with a four digit plate........possibly borrowed from a prominent citizen. Great photo........

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

Looks like Austins on that trailer

They do but I'm guessing those are 1928-32 Dixi models, probably taken when they first started producing them (I'm guessing). I'm not familiar with all the early BMW models but here are a few.

The youtube link shows it next to a Model A as it looks almost half the size next to a Ford.

1932+BMW+320+PS+Tourer+Classic+Car.jpg

R.3c8e43ba9e33d6764fce19edd3203669?rik=mGiyVwG9jWadhw&riu=http%3a%2f%2fzombdrive.com%2fimages1600_%2fbmw-dixi3-2.jpg&ehk=Ek69zWvl5C%2fXHagaCTtXE5Pmrt8vEC%2bMgmyX5LkkobM%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

OIP.zwcY25JJ9uiBzmx1Z4ObTAHaF7?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

4 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

AL and AU are Nottingham, UK, registrations. I think the cars are Minervas, although the one behind looks earlier than the front one. Location Nottingham confirmed here - A. R. and G. Atkey. Tyre Company and Motor Engineers (picturenottingham.co.uk) and more - A. R. Atkey and Co - Graces Guide

The first car seems to be a Brasier.

On 3/19/2020 at 9:52 PM, W_Higgins said:

A more extensively modified '59 Continental Hess and Eisenhardt -- this was built for the Queen's Royal Canadian Tour in 1959.  There were two others, an Imperial and a Cadillac, and they were rotated throughout the tour.  The Imperial survives and is restored.  I think the Cadillac also still exists.  However, this one has been elusive.  I have many photos of it from the tour but have never seen any taken thereafter.  I also don't think I have any showing it with the top up.  The rear seat is split so the Queen's can be elevated and that feature shows in some of the other photos.  If it is out there it is quietly squirreled away somewhere.  I have never even heard a rumor of its existence.    

img122.jpg

20200319_210837.jpg

20200319_211034.jpg

The Cadillac does still exist and is being restored in Ohio I believe.

WOW, I like cars with more seats then just a roadster accommodation but this brass era one just is about perfect. NEATO !!!

The huge wheels , light colored tires and the hood /body profile level/line is just perfect. Everything  about it is cool.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, edinmass said:

1930 Series A Seven Passenger Touring.........to pick up from Walt.......

Monochrome Paint, Single Horn, Wire Wheels & Sidemounts, Painted Winterfront, Sidemount Mirrors, Plate Surround..........probably a local hotel’s car.........and with a four digit plate........possibly borrowed from a prominent citizen. Great photo........

Agree with the ID, but on 1930 cars the shutters were standard, not a winterfront.  The tarted-up Salon models were added midyear and usually included plated shutters, and this car lacks other Salon features as well.

• Like 1

George.....my bad, as I use the two terms as interchangeable, and they are not. I’ll try and be more selective with my words and nomenclature...........you gotta remember the source! 🥸

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Does anyone know what make lights those are?

Yup.......expensive! Then and now! 😎

Sorry.... Crown Royal for lunch......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like a 15 or 16 Oldsmobile.  ?  Two running boards and a driver's side door against the two levers.  Not sure I understand what is going on with that engineered design.  But as Wall mentioned, it is pretty cool.

Olds.jpg.a5500955f64a4d989888aa6255d78884.jpg

15-16 Oldsmobile ad.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Looks like a 15 or 16 Oldsmobile.  ?  Two running boards and a driver's side door against the two levers.  Not sure I understand what is going on with that engineered design.  But as Wall mentioned, it is pretty cool.

Olds.jpg.a5500955f64a4d989888aa6255d78884.jpg

15-16 Oldsmobile ad.jpg

Looks to have gas lights which made me think of the earlier date. It may actually be a 1912 Autocrat as I can't find any evidence of double running boards after 1912.  As far as I can work out the ad with the red and green cars is from 1912.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, twin6 said:

Forty horse Pope Hartford chief's car with electric lights.  Does anyone know what make lights those are?

KC.jpg

The lights shown on this car are likely later Gray and Davis electric lights circa 1912-1914.  Gray and Davis supplied conversion kits for earlier cars which typically included a large, chain driven starter and generator assembly, as well as a full, electric lighting. The kits even came with their own battery boxes. These conversion kits became available around 1912,and were available to be retrofitted onto a variety of different cars. The original headlamps for this car  were also made Gray and Davis and, were of course, acetylene gas, with oil side and tail lights.

The car is a 1909-1910 Model T 40HP Pope Hartford. (Sorry Walt for my previous posting)

gdad1.jpg

gdad2.jpg

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

Nice  🙄 ?? you mention you can supply/sell but isn't that supposed to be in parts for sale? Can we please keep this to its original intent ?!?  And relocate the - hint - hint for sale stuff in the proper section? If this is going to branch out with for sale stuff when a period photo is posted then I am just not going to continue to contribute further.

13 minutes ago, JFranklin said:

Walt, what post was that referring to?

The post in question has disappeared.

Looks like they are getting ready to run an economy test from that Shell station with a measured amount of fuel being put into that container hung on the windshield post and a tube from the container running into the engine compartment. Neat!

3 hours ago, JFranklin said:

Photo from Shorpy.com

SHORPY-833A.jpg

Plate is a 1919 California plate but the Maxwell is a 1920 so must be late 1919 and appears to be starting a measured miles per gallon test on a new car.

Howard Dennis

16 hours ago, JFranklin said:

Photo from Shorpy.com

SHORPY-833A.jpg

I have seen this photo before. I am very curious how it came to "Shorpy"?

I am sticking my neck out here, WAY out! I didn't believe it to be an era photo the first time I saw it, and I still don't. I "think" I know where it was taken, but since I haven't been able to go there for about ten years now? I cannot at this time confirm it.

Anybody know anything about this photo for certain?

14 hours ago, twin6 said:

This sort of horseplay is not tolerated at most concours events today.  The monkey is not distracted in the least.

Farmers Hotel.jpg

This however is a semi-famous photo from the era. I wish I could find the whole story I read several years ago, but alas, a computer partial meltdown a few years ago wiped out a couple thousand bookmarks I had saved.

The photo was staged, note the box and blocks under the running board to support the horse's weight. The man was a hotel owner in Nova Scotia, and noted for his pet monkey which often played in the hotel lobby. The man, according to a historical website mr google found for me on a somewhat quick search, was a Bill Edwards. 

https://annapolisheritagesociety.com/sinclair-inn-museum/the-later-history/

Interesting comment on the era with the photo of the toll being collected. Imagine today paying a person to be a full time collector of a 15 cent toll for a car going over a bridge - would that toll collector even collect enough money every day to pay for his salary? or for the uniform he was wearing?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I have seen this photo before. I am very curious how it came to "Shorpy"?

I am sticking my neck out here, WAY out! I didn't believe it to be an era photo the first time I saw it, and I still don't. I "think" I know where it was taken, but since I haven't been able to go there for about ten years now? I cannot at this time confirm it.

Anybody know anything about this photo for certain?

Wayne, Check about 3/4 down on this page and see the photo is credited to a family archive.  

https://tillmannfamilyarchives.com/longer-writings/shell-oil-baron-van-eck-and-the-1915-panama-pacific-international-exposition/

Howard Dennis

Walt, your comments about the toll and toll collector are interesting.  Regarding the 15 cent toll, perhaps there was enough traffic that supported the operation.  I do remember a time when my brother and I pooled 25 cents to put a little gas for his car so that we could get to work before payday.  I remember the attendant at the gas station: "How much you want?"  My brother: "Twenty-five cents please."  That's a time that became a memory.  😁  While today it costs a $72 American dollars nightmare to fill the tank on my truck.  😩

Charlestown.JPG.431ed7bfccc6b5293aa151db7b7693a6.JPG

• Thanks 1