Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

5 hours ago, ron hausmann said:

It’s not a seat drawer as a Kissel or Paige would have. That door is likely for golf club stowage. I’m not aware that Stutz ever used a side-seat configuration as Kissel, Paige, or Pilot did. Quite rare. And dumb.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

All,

I’m still not convinced that that fold-down door is a side seat.
    If it is a seat in there, the mechanics of the exposed bottom hinges, besides being unsightly, would not operate easily to make it a seat. It could of course be an add on. The mechanism on the running board could be a footrest, or something else. And again, except for custom jobs or prototypes, American production cars which had “suicide” or “outrigger seats” were Pilot Roadster (one seat 1920-1922 ish), Paige Daytona (one seat 1922-1924 ish), and Kissel (two seats 1919-mid 1923).

Like many of you, I’m stumped by the picture too.

Ron Hausmann

I would bet money that’s a fold out seat...........also, look at the spare tire peeking up on the back of the rear boat tail..........

1 hour ago, ron hausmann said:

All,

I’m still not convinced that that fold-down door is a side seat.
    If it is a seat in there, the mechanics of the exposed bottom hinges, besides being unsightly, would not operate easily to make it a seat. It could of course be an add on. The mechanism on the running board could be a footrest, or something else. And again, except for custom jobs or prototypes, American production cars which had “suicide” or “outrigger seats” were Pilot Roadster (one seat 1920-1922 ish), Paige Daytona (one seat 1922-1924 ish), and Kissel (two seats 1919-mid 1923).

Like many of you, I’m stumped by the picture too.

Ron Hausmann

The examples you quote are all from 1919 or later. Our mystery pic was taken in 1917. I guess we will just have to hope some more pics from that event show up sometime.

Some great photos taken in Spain of the 1912 Hispano-Suiza owned by Dr Carulla of Barcelona. Photo credit to the Hispano-Suiza Society facebook page.

I think that photo three may have been taken some time after photo two as the women's skirts are shorter.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, nzcarnerd said:

The examples you quote are all from 1919 or later. Our mystery pic was taken in 1917. I guess we will just have to hope some more pics from that event show up sometime.

Nccarnerd and edinmass,  

Yes it could be a side seat - I’m just thinking that if it is, it’s not a production model but a custom or prototype. 
    Ron

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ron hausmann said:

Nccarnerd and edinmass,  

Yes it could be a side seat - I’m just thinking that if it is, it’s not a production model but a custom or prototype. 
    Ron

I suspect almost every car at that event may have been a custom of some sort.

Ron......I agree......that’s why I called it a special-special.  The probable side seat, spare in the rear taper tail, size and scale........all point to an interesting car. Steering wheel and controls make me think very high end......

The Ruth McDonald mystery car does not appear to be a Cunningham.  The Cunningham 1917 Model V-1 is not the mystery car (photos of two car).  And the 1920 Cunningham eight cylinder speedster is not correct either.

I have attempted to search Ruth McDonald as being a "matron", associated with politics, and a few other possible explanations for her apparent station in life.  This a tough way to research, and there are a lot of Ruth McDonald people.  Perhaps identification of who Ruth McDonald was could lead to identification of the automobile.

17 Cunningham Model V-1 001.jpg

17 Cunningham Model V-1 002.jpg

20 Cunningham 8Cy speedster Clymer Scrapbook Nr 6 p193.JPG

Camping was a big fad all over the USA once the motor car became more popular and affordable , especially by the early 1920s when WWI had ended. Cars were packed with cots, tents, portable stoves, water bags, and running board mounted trunks to hold equipment to be sort of comfortable out in the great outdoors! Yeah sort of. 🙄 In a Durant factory in house publication from August 1923 this photo of their showroom in San Francisco of the Durant-Steves Motors, Inc.

Elaborate window displays were designed and created to show a scene that drew in people walking by to see and hopefully further into the building where they could be pounced upon by an eager salesman.

DURANTshowroom1923.jpg

• Like 5

Ed, thanks for the photos of the Derham bodied convertible sedan that was based on a Hibbard & Darrin design. Love the styling and probably a car with the top up it was near impossible to see out the rear of . That Packard with the elaborate ( perhaps funeral coach) coachwork just has to be considered for a full classic by CCCA, I mean come on this is concours level craftsmanship !!! Just picture that puppy on the lawn at PEBBLE. Or perhaps sinking into it......................😇

A 1908 Corbin taxi - posted by Mark Johnson on facebook -

"Pictured here is a New Britain, Connecticut made 1908 Corbin Taxi. It is parked in front of the Corbin Motor Vehicle Corporation Showroom at 1888 Broadway in New York City. Broadway was the automobile mecca in the early 1900, where manufacturers needed to have a presence to make it in this new industry. Next to Corbin was the Matheson showroom on one side and Lozier showroom on the other.
This Corbin taxi looks well worn. Notice that it has no radiator cap; 1908 was the last year of Corbin’s air-cooled motors, in 1909 to 1912 they were only water-cooled. The gas headlamps were removed even though the holders remain. I assume they only used the taxi during the day.
In 1908 the streets of New York were filled with both horses and automobiles.  You can see evidence of a horse beside the Corbin and that’s why the automobiles were a welcome replacement.
Reminder, the remaining Corbin Automobiles will be gathering at Klingberg Motorcar Event on June 18th. www.KlingbergMotorcarSeries.org"

20s autos Mark Johnson Corbin on Broadway NY.jpg

• Like 2

Can anyone imagine that EATON tank truck at Hershey, the rear doors open and the inside filled to the top with cool pre war parts and accessories?  And all the "impoverished" car enthusiasts ( I was going to say cheap) coming up and stating in great authority " Can ya do bedda?,  I'll Give yaz" and then getting annoyed when you decline their offer of $3.34 for a item marked $67.56.................. Yes, I am starting the day off with some mild sarcasm. 🤐

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Can anyone imagine that EATON tank truck at Hershey, the rear doors open and the inside filled to the top with cool pre war parts and accessories?  And all the "impoverished" car enthusiasts ( I was going to say cheap) coming up and stating in great authority " Can ya do bedda?,  I'll Give yaz" and then getting annoyed when you decline their offer of $3.34 for a item marked $67.56.................. Yes, I am starting the day off with some mild sarcasm. 🤐

I'd think it would be better loaded with free beer or gin & tonics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sharing this one because the car is relatively uncommon.

The folks are the grandparents of Bill Hall, somewhere in Western Colorado.

I think the car is a 1926 Willys Overland Six.

May be a black-and-white image of 1 person, child and standing

By coincidence I found there is one for sale -  1926 Willys Overland rare six cylinder two door for sale in East Palatka, Florida, United States for sale: photos, technical specifications, description (classiccardb.com)