Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

3 hours ago, ply33 said:

The gents on the bicycles appear are wearing uniforms that might be for police. And the equestrians are wearing what look like military uniforms. A few people watching the procession but not enough for a holiday parade. I wonder if that was the equivalent of a modern VIP motorcade? If so, who were the people in the motor vehicles?

Looks like it was DC 

More about it on Shorpy:

Childs Restaurant: 1918 | Shorpy Old Photos | Photo Sharing

This is from the very end of the Willoughby companies life span as the Great Depression had been hitting hard at the auto manufacturers as well as individual coach builders for 7 years. Chassis illustrated is Pierce Arrow, I believe is a "fantasy" or ' hope some one orders one' illustration. For sales in the mid 1920s Willoughby had printed up on coated stock paper a single sheet advertising flyer that they distributed to customers and dealers, but it was much more detailed then the image here. This looks more like a "possible perspective, let's try it" venture on Willoughby's part. The other printed sheets I mentioned , plus a lot of Francis Willoughby's personal photo albums of their companies work and production signed by him in ink wound up at an antique show on Rt. 20 in Central N.Y. state about 35 years ago and I purchased those then. It shows their commercial bodies as well as motor car coachwork. Guess I need to get going and do a history of that company and use the photographs and information that is in that mound of material.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, alsancle said:

Walt probably knows where these drawings are coming from.   Ed can confirm it was never built.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-1930s-WILLOUGHBY-COACH-CO-PIERCE-ARROW-VICTORIA-FACTORY-DESIGN-PRINT-/233889301557

WilloughbyPierceArrowVictoria.jpg

While the notes describe it as:
Convertible Victoria

Especially Designed for Mr. C. C. Walker

By Willoughby Company

on Pierce Arrow 12 Cylinder Custom Chassis

it seems to have a Pre-WWII Mercedes-Benz "feel" about it,

other than the headlights

23 hours ago, alsancle said:

Walt probably knows where these drawings are coming from.   Ed can confirm it was never built.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-1930s-WILLOUGHBY-COACH-CO-PIERCE-ARROW-VICTORIA-FACTORY-DESIGN-PRINT-/233889301557

WilloughbyPierceArrowVictoria.jpg

First time I have seen this, and if it was built, no one knows about it. I can tell from the drawing that some of the proportions are off in the hood, cowl, and side mount. Also, the Pierce factory wouldn't have done a windshield that way....even on a one off. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, edinmass said:

First time I have seen this, and if it was built, no one knows about it. I can tell from the drawing that some of the proportions are off in the hood, cowl, and side mount. Also, the Pierce factory wouldn't have done a windshield that way....even on a one off. 

If it is a coachbuilt car,  wouldn't the body be fully custom from the firewall back?  

21 minutes ago, alsancle said:

If it is a coachbuilt car,  wouldn't the body be fully custom from the firewall back?  

From 1934 and later, I have only seen cars.......full customs, with a factory cowl and windshield. For some reason, they must have only sold a chassis with the entire nose, cowl, and open car windshield.........which were diffrent than the closed cars.......and 1934 and later open cars were essentially all hand built......even with factory coachwork. I think it might be related to the hearse/ambulance platforms. You probably had to take what they were willing to offer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I cross posted this from the Rolls Royce thread,  although all of you guys should be paying attention down there too.

This picture was taken in 1951 at the Studebaker Proving grounds.   A Springfield Ascot with late headlights and bumpers but early fenders.   Anyone know which car it is?    I don't like phaetons but LOVE Ascots for some reason.

AJ273-Web.jpg

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I cross posted this from the Rolls Royce thread,  although all of you guys should be paying attention down there too.

This picture was taken in 1951 at the Studebaker Proving grounds.   A Springfield Ascot with late headlights and bumpers but early fenders.   Anyone know which car it is?    I don't like phaetons but LOVE Ascots for some reason.

AJ273-Web.jpg

In about 1931 R-R in the USA would take a late 1920s Phantom I and update it . Most often with a new body by Brewster . at the same time would update the fenders , bumpers and lamps. I had a Springfield built Phantom I ( S74PM) that was sold new in 1927 with a Huntington limousine body, it was updated in 1931 to a Trouville town car body and the drum lamps replaced as well as the older style fenders and bumpers that looked out dated 4 years later.

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

From 1934 and later, I have only seen cars.......full customs, with a factory cowl and windshield. For some reason, they must have only sold a chassis with the entire nose, cowl, and open car windshield.........which were diffrent than the closed cars.......and 1934 and later open cars were essentially all hand built......even with factory coachwork. I think it might be related to the hearse/ambulance platforms. You probably had to take what they were willing to offer.

Ed:

Very good likelihood that was the case, though examining images of the windshield pillars of factory-supplied convertibles and the Metropolitan Town Brougham by Brunn, that company must have replaced the factory windshield with their own cast design.   Have you had the chance to examine a Brunn in detail to ascertain what method was employed?

On 2/19/2021 at 9:10 AM, alsancle said:

AJ273-Web.jpg

And the answer is..........S398KP. 😎

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

And the answer is..........S398KP. 😎

Ed,  those cowl lights on S398KP are cast in to the band.   They would be a tough add on.   Also,  I would be surprised that someone would put the old style drum lights back on and tube bumpers.

Not to mention the big tell which is S398KP  has the hidden door hinges and the car I posted from 1951 has exposed hinges.

I was going from info supplied to me by a Rolls guy. I think the reason he gave the number he did is from the unusual top........on my tablet, the photo isn’t clear enough to make out most of the small details. But you must be correct.....back to the drawing board.

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

How did you figure that out?    It looks better with me sitting in it.

RollsAscotWithMe.jpg

Sorry about the face......you should be in radio.  Nice car. Wish it were mine.