Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

This one makes frequent appearances on facebook.  There are those who think it is photoshopped but I think it is for real.

Location the end of the St Angelo bridge in Rome looking towards the Castel Sant'Angelo. We were driven across that bridge on our Rome city bus tour in 2014. It is only a short distance from St Peters.

old photos Sophia Brett Forester.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Maybe a repurposed Turcat-Mery from circa 1912?

I think the photo date could be circa 1930.

Ballston Spa. NY state?

old rides Ken Sanders horse.jpg

Ballston Spa, NY is just a stones throw from the Saratoga Springs Race Course a famous historic thoroughbred horse racing track here in NY(fourth oldest in the US). Great photo, I love the padding on the inside of gate! 

8 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

This one makes frequent appearances on facebook.  There are those who think it is photoshopped but I think it is for real.

Location the end of the St Angelo bridge in Rome looking towards the Castel Sant'Angelo. We were driven across that bridge on our Rome city bus tour in 2014. It is only a short distance from St Peters.

Gina Lolobrigida.  Still alive - in her 90's - and still making movies.

Just stumbled across this on eBay and was tempted to buy it just for the Old 16 story not only because the car and area are connected to my youth but also I lived there for years and never knew Carmel, NY once had a fairgrounds and a race track. Anyone have any other photos relating to this?

Howard Dennis

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPEED-AGE-1947-AUTO-STOCK-CAR-RACING-DAYTONA-BOATS-MOTORCYCLE-MIDGET-BRASS-ERA/265067970646?hash=item3db7484056:g:llEAAOSwURNgKgN-s-l1600.thumb.jpg.bb15de2b7efe08c16a7d34c6fc6686c4.jpg

1 hour ago, 30DodgePanel said:

So that's where all the  36 Dodge grilles went...

view

I wonder if this isn't possibly a view how cars were shipped from the auto manufacturers across the Great lakes to Buffalo, NY to unload onto train cars to then disburse them to assorted cities in the North East section of the USA. The regular use of tractor trailers to haul new cars across the country was not really well established until Eisenhower became President and the national highway system was worked on/ built to accommodate seriously and promote transportation. Up until that time delivery by train was the way things were done, cars arriving n box cars ( I have period photos of that someplace of Packards being delivered in 1932) or there were also big" drive-aways"  , where hoards of men would take the train to the city where the cars were built and then get in and have a "drive away" of 50+ cars all at one to deliver cars to the dealerships. I know Chevrolet did that as did Franklin.

51 minutes ago, Walt G said:

I wonder if this isn't possibly a view how cars were shipped from the auto manufacturers across the Great lakes to Buffalo, NY to unload onto train cars to then disburse them to assorted cities in the North East section of the USA. The regular use of tractor trailers to haul new cars across the country was not really well established until Eisenhower became President and the national highway system was worked on/ built to accommodate seriously and promote transportation. Up until that time delivery by train was the way things were done, cars arriving n box cars ( I have period photos of that someplace of Packards being delivered in 1932) or there were also big" drive-aways"  , where hoards of men would take the train to the city where the cars were built and then get in and have a "drive away" of 50+ cars all at one to deliver cars to the dealerships. I know Chevrolet did that as did Franklin.

Exactly right, the Detroit made batch headed for Buffalo with hundreds of drive-away men doing their part along the way...
Good ship Sonoma of the  Nicholson  Universal Line dated June 23 1936

Would love to see those Packards being unloaded if you come across your lot.

Here's another one a few years later 

William F Fitch freighter heading to Cleveland March 15 1939

view

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Cool picture but it does have a fabricated look to it.   Specifically the shadow around her foot and ankle do not look right to me.