Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Can somebody comment on the "safety glass"?    Something I've never seen before.

I have seen wire in the glass like that but not in a box pattern, just horizontal strips in a Stutz sedan many decades ago. Car was in storage but I can't recall details ( brain fade) It was of the 1927-28 era. Perhaps in a car collection in the Whitestone , Queens area of NY? owner may have been Howard Christiansen? this was all 50 years + ago. Cars were all stored in what had one time I believe was a firehouse that was converted to a commercial laundry and then eventually a place for the collector who owned the cars to keep his collection.

Edited by Walt G
typo correction (see edit history)
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Walt G said:

I have seen wire in the glass like that but not in a box pattern, just horizontal strips in a Stutz sedan many decades ago. Car was in storage but I can't recall details ( brain fade) It was of the 1927-28 era. Perhaps in a car collection in the Whitestone , Queens area of NY? owner many have been Howard Christiansen? this was all 50 years + ago. Cars were all stored in what had one time I believe was a firehouse that was converted to a commercial laundry and then eventually a place for the collector who owned the cars to keep his collection.

Stutz was the first or one of the first cars with "safety glass".   In fact, their marketing was "Saftey Stutz".   I think the performance angle would have served their marketing better.

StutzSafteyAdvetisement.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Stutz was the first or one of the first cars with "safety glass".   In fact, their marketing was "Saftey Stutz".   I think the performance angle would have served their marketing better.

Ford also found out safety didn't sell in 1956.  That year, they pushed their 'Lifeguard Design' safety features in their advertising.

Craig

Automobile safety glass is an interesting subject.  The Stutz safety glass reminds me of many years ago about a 1932 Chevrolet that I towed into the home place from 5 or 8 miles in the farm country.  The right front passenger door window was broken nearly in half, with the top half apparently firmly lodged in place at the top of the window channel, and the lower half of the window glass missing.  The Chevy survived towing and jostling into place and sat at its new home for about a week before I could do something with it.  I got into the car, sat on the seat and was examining the door's window channels and contemplating how to safely removed the broken piece of window glass.  It was interesting to see the thickness of the plate glass; the edges were sharp as knives.  Deciding to get out of the car, I reached through the open window to turn the door handle.  In that split second, with my arm through the open window section, the glass that had been firmly stuck at the top of the door let loose and fell down like a guillotine blade and stopped about a quarter inch above my arm.  The falling glass became stuck in the window channel and my arm was spared a trip to the hospital.  There are some events that remain forever in one's memory and this is one of mine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 2/9/2021 at 2:28 PM, LCK81403 said:

Anybody know the skinny on this '32 Cord E-1 prototype?  It's turning radius probably would not be compatible with Boston's streets.

32 Cord E-1 prototype.jpg

I ran across an obscure reference to this Cord in an aviation club publication. Some aircraft owners were noticing similarities between Art Deco Era aircraft and autos, and proposed a meet with things like 1936 Auburns and 1936 Beechcraft Staggerwings in the same venue. Two people at this California auto-aviation show got to talking; the article said one was a doctor from Atchison, Kansas, and one identified the other's accent with a rural Illinois style of speaking from the Dekalb-Hampshire-Elgin area. The doctor said that's where he found "The Cord Prototype", this car. It was in a field full of Packards, Peerlesses and other high-end pre-war cars over by Pingree Grove in Kane County. Evidently, he had an extensive restoration done 20 or 30 years ago, and loaned it to the A-C-D museum in Auburn for awhile. I gather it was supposed to bridge the gap between the L-29 and the 810 Cords, but never got beyond the prototype stage. I talked to A-C-D collector John Baeke about 10 years ago, and he said he had coffee with the person who restored what was left of the the E-1 Cord every week, in Kansas City.

Stuff the Bus.......image.jpeg.d8867569d223b0bbc9e6264ecdae9cb9.jpeg

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)