Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Fascinating! So were the headlamps in that configuration from new?

I have always been interested in limited customs, especially from the classic era. This thread has been very enlightening. A whole lot of truly wonderful cars I have never seen or read about (and I have seen and read a lot!). I wish I could have spent a lot more time playing with such things myself.

6 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I have always been interested in limited customs, especially from the classic era. This thread has been very enlightening. A whole lot of truly wonderful cars I have never seen or read about (and I have seen and read a lot!). I wish I could have spent a lot more time playing with such things myself.

There was a lot of custom touches getting done in the 40s and 50s

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Apparently, it is a Packard !  Does it "float your boat" ?

Yes, it started out as a 1939 Packard.  The 1946 rebody was commissioned by Louis Reard, designer of the bikini swim suit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Réard and built by Henri Chapron. https://crankhandleblog.com/articles/le-yacht-de-la-route-and-bikinigirls/

There was a page in a 1981 Car Collector magazine about this Packard.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

A.J. the 1932-1933 Franklin Airman ( Walker bodies) had a 4 door hood panel at the side and very similar molding line at the hood/cowl into the body area. I thought Franklin too but the door handle isn't correct if it is. The handle Franklin used was curved and "swoopy" , and perhaps it is just the angle of the car/photo , but something about the moldings around the window just don't seem correct for a Franklin.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

A.J. the 1932-1933 Franklin Airman ( Walker bodies) had a 4 door hood panel at the side and very similar molding line at the hood/cowl into the body area. I thought Franklin too but the door handle isn't correct if it is. The handle Franklin used was curved and "swoopy" , and perhaps it is just the angle of the car/photo , but something about the moldings around the window just don't seem correct for a Franklin.

agreed.  The belt molding and door handles are odd.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

No, someones handiwork as an "improvement" to modernize their car 

3 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Not actually slanted I think. It is just the way the hood side is sitting.

It is a Marmon V-16 with LeBaron Body (which sounds fancy, but it was the standard body offering for a closed car - Sedan, 7-Passenger Sedan, Limousine, and Club Sedan, as well as a Coupe, plus Convertible Coupe or Convertible Sedan for that matter)

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

It is a Marmon V-16 with LeBaron Body (which sounds fancy, but it was the standard body offering for a closed car - Sedan, 7-Passenger Sedan, Limousine, and Club Sedan, as well as a Coupe, plus Convertible Coupe or Convertible Sedan for that matter)

is it known when and where that photo was taken?  Where, meaning was it a wrecking yard or a private person saving such high end cars back when they had no value?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Thanks!   The door handles should have given it away.      I believe there are no Lebaron tags on those bodies and they built in bulk "in the white" for Marmon.

Walt and I will give up our spotters badges.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/16/2020 at 2:16 PM, John_Mereness said:

Car of the Week: 1934 Auburn Salon Speedster - Old Cars Weekly

22 hours ago, alsancle said:

The car on the left is a 12 Salon speedster.  One of three or four real cars known to currently exist.  It has been restored and is owned by a very well respected restorer.

18 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

7 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

No, someones handiwork as an "improvement" to modernize their car 

That is what I thought. If the car still exists? Has it been restored? Returned to original configuration?

The Duesenberg sedan shown and discussed above is also very interesting! The era photos of its interior are incredible. If that car does still exist, I can't understand why someone of means hasn't taken on such an gorgeous (even a sedan?) automobile.  I shudder to think what duplicating that interior would cost if done properly.

German three-wheeler in New York. Cyclonette tried to got a foothold  on the American market in 1910, too. The similar Phänomobil is perhaps better known, it's founder Gustav Hilleri n Saxony had no intention to pay royalties to the Cyklon company in Berlin. But I suspect that it was orginally a French design from 1901. The name  Levassor's Widow & J. de Boisse is somewhat confusing, my source indicate that it's the same madame Levassor as in Panhard & Levassor. 

Of course the German devolopement has a sturdier frame with straight tubes, enventually the Cyclonette/Phänomobil went up to a 1,5 litre straight four, still air-cooled.

Darrés German invasion (2).jpg

Witwe levassor (2).jpg

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)

16 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

The Duesenberg sedan shown and discussed above is also very interesting! The era photos of its interior are incredible. If that car does still exist, I can't understand why someone of means hasn't taken on such an gorgeous (even a sedan?) automobile.  I shudder to think what duplicating that interior would cost if done properly.

It is currently for sale - it was slated as a new coachwork project as apparently the body must be pretty bad and given the reference to 1996, it was still all the rage to rebody.   Unfortunately, the topic keeps coming up of  "no single (or very few) restoration shop can cost effectively restore" a rough large 20's/30's CCCA car in its entirety - even the most resourceful and "thrifty" fellow I know farms stuff out as says people cannot afford his "in house" rate to complete a project that needs woodworking, heavy fabrication, engines with serious issues, and ... (just like most shops do not do their own plating) - ie notice the first line about a DIY enthusiast.   

https://www.olympiancars.com  

1926 Duesenberg Model A Torpedo Project  $64,900.00Price  Here's a special opportunity for the DIY enthusiast!

I have available a complete Model A Duesenberg restoration project at an affordable price. Her original Schutte sedan coachwork with stunning ornate interior (pictured here) needs a lotta TLC and that process is certainly an option for the right buyer. Or why not have some fun and build a special you can enjoy on your own terms? With that I can offer the illustrated concept from the noted automotive designer Strother MacMinn. It was "Macs" last commission from 1996 when I retained his services for another project (Mac died in January 1998). This design is precisely calibrated for the Model A chassis allowing for four passengers, extended hood and fully disappearing top. I also have other concept drawings for the lucky buyer including a two-passenger roadster

The engine was rebuilt some years ago while the remaining components will require a full restoration. Chassis 1156, engine 1549.

Last year, a Model A Duesenberg chassis was donated to the ACD Museum in Auburn, IN for a valuation of over $200,000. In 2017, a rebodied Model A sold for a world record $407,000 at the RM-Sotheby's Monterey auction. Stictly as a parts car, this offering is a sure fire bargain!

Model A Duesenberg parts are virtually unobtainable where engines alone may cost $30-40,000... if you could find one!

Please call to arrange a viewing!

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)