1938 Desoto on BAT

That is a lovely car. If I were close to CA it would be difficult for me to refrain from bidding. 

Looking at the rims I see the yellow pin stripe around the hub caps. Interesting. Recently I was sandblasting the original rims of my 1938 Plymouth. I cannot say 100% if my rims were possibly painted over from stock. They were matching the body color. A darker green. Under the paint I did find a lighter lime-green circular pin stripe. Same as seen on the red Desoto listed on BAT.  I wonder if the rims were originally destined for another car and the pinstripes got painted over? I am not sure if a new, stock 1938 Plymouth would have had these pinstripes. 

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)

Bring-A-Nitpicker is so amusing. It's a $10,000 car at best and there are guys demanding that he remove the interior to show the floors and do a driving video and detailed photos and asking for detailed restoration receipts. Then there are the usual knotheads saying they'd have to upgrade the brakes to make it driveable. Oh, and when dealers post photos taken in a studio, they usually complain that they want photos taken in broad daylight so they can really see what's going on, yet on this car they say they're the most perfect photos they've ever seen despite A LOT of heavy Photoshop editing. Have they had the "documentation fee" whine-fest yet? That's always fun, too.

Just another reason why I'd never let any car I'm trying to sell anywhere near that site. Too many know-nothings lobbing virtual hand grenades into the discussion that poison the well for any potential buyer.

On the topic of that Desoto--if you're looking for something like that, bid $10,000 and get a car you can enjoy. Don't worry, for $10,000 it won't hurt you no matter what surprises it might have under the skin (I suspect very few). That is a lot of car for the money, even if you have to ship it across the country.

And always remember when you're buying a car: it's never a total loss. It's not like you're gambling $10,000. You're gambling $10,000 minus whatever you sell it for later. Buying a durable good is never an all-or-nothing proposition and it will always have some value. Everyone frets that they're going to lose their shirts. Nah. On a car like that at $10,000, if it's really dreadful (again, I doubt it is) it's still going to be worth $5000. That's your exposure. Why not jump in and swim?

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Yes, Matt,

I had to respond to the individual who "needed" a disk brake "upgrade" for this DeSoto.

Just wondering if it also "needs" an electric power steering unit, to be "safe to drive", and maybe a Sound System "upgrade", and then maybe a Small Block Chevy engine to be safe in traffic ???

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I will be watching to see the final sell price for this car.  The “Average Joe” comments are not encouraging and unwarranted.  Anything less than $10K seems like a good deal to me. I am currently in the middle of reviving my 1938 Plymouth. A cousin,  and very similar to this Desoto. I can assure you $10K could easily be spent and it still wouldn’t be near where that Desoto is, as it sits. Interior, body work, paint, & small details pretty easy to pass $10K. 

As many of you here know...
Even if you have a shop, and get set up with compressor, welder, related tooling, upholstery sewing machine, all related parts and supplies, performing all the work yourself, you’d still pass $10K.  Good deal on this Desoto here for someone wanting to enter the vintage car scene without spending a lot. 

I may have convinced myself to bid!

On 2/24/2020 at 11:24 AM, Marty Roth said:

Yes, Matt,

I had to respond to the individual who "needed" a disk brake "upgrade" for this DeSoto.

Just wondering if it also "needs" an electric power steering unit, to be "safe to drive", and maybe a Sound System "upgrade", and then maybe a Small Block Chevy engine to be safe in traffic ???

There's a regular to these forums who once was dismayed that he would have to install a dual chamber master cylinder in a similar car for it to be safe.

On 2/24/2020 at 12:12 PM, Matt Harwood said:

Bring-A-Nitpicker is so amusing. It's a $10,000 car at best and there are guys demanding that he remove the interior to show the floors and do a driving video and detailed photos and asking for detailed restoration receipts. Then there are the usual knotheads saying they'd have to upgrade the brakes to make it driveable. Oh, and when dealers post photos taken in a studio, they usually complain that they want photos taken in broad daylight so they can really see what's going on, yet on this car they say they're the most perfect photos they've ever seen despite A LOT of heavy Photoshop editing. Have they had the "documentation fee" whine-fest yet? That's always fun, too.

Just another reason why I'd never let any car I'm trying to sell anywhere near that site. Too many know-nothings lobbing virtual hand grenades into the discussion that poison the well for any potential buyer.

On the topic of that Desoto--if you're looking for something like that, bid $10,000 and get a car you can enjoy. Don't worry, for $10,000 it won't hurt you no matter what surprises it might have under the skin (I suspect very few). That is a lot of car for the money, even if you have to ship it across the country.

And always remember when you're buying a car: it's never a total loss. It's not like you're gambling $10,000. You're gambling $10,000 minus whatever you sell it for later. Buying a durable good is never an all-or-nothing proposition and it will always have some value. Everyone frets that they're going to lose their shirts. Nah. On a car like that at $10,000, if it's really dreadful (again, I doubt it is) it's still going to be worth $5000. That's your exposure. Why not jump in and swim?

I agree with Matt. BAT is full of tire kickers and just seems like a horrible place to sell a car. I've seen a number of "potential buyers" getting into pissing matches with sellers, making accusations and derogatory comments. Plus too many lowballers. It seems like most cars never fetch fair market value on there. I would never sell a car on there. 

1 hour ago, MoparMadnz said:

I agree with Matt. BAT is full of tire kickers and just seems like a horrible place to sell a car. I've seen a number of "potential buyers" getting into pissing matches with sellers, making accusations and derogatory comments. Plus too many lowballers. It seems like most cars never fetch fair market value on there. I would never sell a car on there. 

Depends on the car.

Seems like BAT buyers spend freely to acquire Alfas, Porsches and Ferraris.

And the DeSoto being discussed here seems to have done well for the seller!

Edited by 95Cardinal (see edit history)

35 minutes ago, 95Cardinal said:

Depends on the car.

Seems like BAT buyers spend freely to acquire Alfas, Porsches and Ferraris.

And the DeSoto being discussed here seems to have done well for the seller!

You've got a point there. European sports cars are bringing top dollar on BAT, for sure. It's probably just the cars I'm interested in that don't always seem to do very well. The Desoto did well though. I guess it's a hit or miss for some cars. 

For $95 it is an easy way to test interest in your car.  If a real buyer shows up you can always lift the reserve.   I purchased my 66 GTO clone on BAT a year ago and have been very happy with the purchase.  I was able to interact with the seller and contact the shop that did $9800 of mechanical work after the car had been sitting since the early 90's including a copy of the parts list. I agree about the individuals who comment on the car but some of them are constructive.  I much prefer BAT over the auction scene.

Edited by Robert G. Smits
Addition (see edit history)