Hoss Cartwright's '57 Merc. Turnpike Cruiser on eBay

Well, it was his parents' car, but he bought it new for them. The thing is, from what I've read he didn't start making money  'til Bonanza, and that didn't start til '59, and this is a '57, so I don't know how legit the provenance is. If it's genuine it doesn't seem like a bad price for a celebrity owned car. Also some '57 cars of various makes had quad headlights while others of the same make didn't. Might've varied from state to state per regulations. Could be it was a left over '57 sold late in the '59 model year.

When I first became interested in unappreciated Mercury's, I found the '57 and '58 models kind of vulgar looking, but now I think they're cool beyond cool. Very late fifties outrageous, and who doesn't like that? Mostly original color and paint, the ad say.

Hope you aren't getting tired of my odd eBay posts. I'm hoping they generate interest and conversation and help bring people to the cars-for-sale section, but I'm also genuinely thinking that they may find a potential buyer here.

1957 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser 4 Door Sedan | eBay

r640

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mike6024 said:

All it makes  me think is my dad loved that show and especially enjoyed Hoss.

I did a little reading up on Dan Blocker after seeing this ad last night, and it sounds like he was a genuinely decent guy, though just kind of a big kid in some ways, too.

• Like 1

He had a bunch of fake early brass stuff.......hot rodded and non authentic. I have come across some of it. Take anything with his name with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

I watched a really strange movie yesterday called Suburbacon or something like that. Matt Damon was in it.

A two year old movie based in around 1957.

One of the cars was a two door station wagon similar to this Merc. I would love to own that two door wagon.

https://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_1175789-Mercury-Voyager-1957.html

The movie itself sucked.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mike6024 said:

1957 Mercury Voyager

Both actress and car are beautiful.

We were discussing the Mercury Commuter-Voyager two door  wagon of this era on another forum, and we decided that it may have been the only true two door hardtop station wagon ever made in America. The Ranch Wagons, Parklanes, and Del Rios - or any other Ford I'm aware of -  don't qualify. (More of a "sedan" configuration.) The tri-five Safaris and Nomads also don't qualify (again, because of the B pillar.) The beautiful Buick Caballero was available only in four door, I think. If you're aware of any others that might qualify, however, please post them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

I am thinking Dodge had a 2 door hardtop wagon in 62-63? 1962 2 door Dart wagon passenger side

Awesome! Another true two door hardtop wagon. I thought Mercury ruled the roost in that respect, but I guess not.

I don't suppose you know the name of that model, Brooklyn Beer? Anyone else?

On 1/9/2020 at 4:46 PM, JamesR said:

I did a little reading up on Dan Blocker after seeing this ad last night, and it sounds like he was a genuinely decent guy, though just kind of a big kid in some ways, too.

Interesting guy - had a master's degree, was a Korea veteran, and started Bonanza and Ponderosa steak houses.  Dunno if the story is true, but I read that the Bonanza crew had a beat-up old fridge where they kept soda and snacks.  Blocker routinely helped himself until he found out the crew, not the producers, were paying for the goodies and no one had the courage to tell the star to chip in.  The next morning, a brand new top-of-the-line refrigerator had appeared and Blocker kept it stocked thereafter.

• Like 2

The popular and kind-hearted Blocker didn't start the Ponderosa/ Bonanze steak houses, but was a spokesman for them. Read his bio here. Here is an extract:

Blocker, a performance automobile fan, once owned a 1965 Chevrolet Chevelle SS396 "Z-16" (RPO Z16 option), as Chevrolet was the commercial sponsor of the show. He also owned a 1965 Huffaker Genie MK10 race car, nicknamed the "Vinegaroon". The car was run by Nickey Chevrolet in the 1965 and 1966 U.S. Road Racing Championship series, as well as the 1966 Can-Am championship.

Phil

59 minutes ago, MochetVelo said:

The popular and kind-hearted Blocker didn't start the Ponderosa/ Bonanze steak houses, but was a spokesman for them. Read his bio here. Here is an extract:

Blocker, a performance automobile fan, once owned a 1965 Chevrolet Chevelle SS396 "Z-16" (RPO Z16 option), as Chevrolet was the commercial sponsor of the show. He also owned a 1965 Huffaker Genie MK10 race car, nicknamed the "Vinegaroon". The car was run by Nickey Chevrolet in the 1965 and 1966 U.S. Road Racing Championship series, as well as the 1966 Can-Am championship.

Phil

Another excerpt from that link:

Also in 1963, Blocker started and received partial ownership in a successful chain of Bonanza Steakhouse restaurants (Ponderosa Steakhouses started in 1965),[1] in exchange for serving (in character as Hoss) as their commercial spokesman and making personal appearances at franchises.

And from another Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponderosa_and_Bonanza_Steakhouses)

In 1963, Dan Blocker, who played Eric "Hoss" Cartwright on Bonanza,[3] started the Bonanza Steakhouse chain.

His IMDb bio says the same so I dunno.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)

According to this article, there are only eight Bonanza steakhouses left in the US. I'm not sure if that includes the one referenced in the article  that was demolished in MS exactly one year ago. I presume it doesn't. They are owned by a larger company, so hopefully they can stay in business. They were everywhere when I was a kid, now my state doesn't have one. There's one in Iowa and one in Minnesota, and that's as close as they get.

See one of the last Bonanza Steakhouses demolished after standing for 45 years

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2020 at 9:05 AM, Brooklyn Beer said:

I am thinking Dodge had a 2 door hardtop wagon in 62-63? 1962 2 door Dart wagon passenger side

It turns out this is not the case. This page explains that this car was not originally a two door wagon, and that Dodge made no two door wagons at this time.

A 1962 Dodge Station Wagon Ramchargers Tribute is the February 2011 Mopar of the Month

The '57 Mercury Commuter and related vehicles may have been the only two door hardtop wagon.

Dan Blocker lived on Halstead Street, Northridge in the San Fernando Valley in the mid 60's. I remember he had a '67 Camaro in the driveway. Chrome decoration mimicking thru the hood carburetors. Don't recall the engine, though it would have been large. Yes, he was a nice guy. There is the Dan Blocker beach along Pacific Coast Highway not far south of Zuma Beach, Malibu area. I always thought it odd that he had a beach named after him.