Where to Find Car Museums

3macboys

There are good odds that I'm just not looking in the right area but is there a listing on here for car museums.  I'm a bit late in my planning since we are leaving on a road trip in the morning from Woodstock, Ont down through Roanoke, Va and down to Asheville, NC before heading back home.  I'm planning on taking in the Pierce Arrow museum in Buffalo but just wondering what else may be along the general route that may be worth taking in.  It does help that I have a very understanding wife who tolerates a couple of such visits with each trip.  Thanks in advance,  Don  

The Antique Car Museum at Grovewood is a small museum (less than 20 cars) in Asheville,  NC.  But the only admission fee is a donation. 

https://www.grovewood.com/antique-car-museum/

How far are you willing to go off the route you mentioned? And will you go home by the same route?

Edited by Phillip Cole
Changes (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If you can get to Rt 81 north through Pennsylvania get off in Binghamton NY onto Rt 12 north to Norwich NY. The North East Classic Car museum.  https://www.classiccarmuseum.org/    Over 170 vehicles, plus aircraft engines and more to see. 

Norwich is about halfway between Binghamton and Utica NY.   From Norwich there are several ways you  can head north and west to get to the NYS thruway to Buffalo.

Paul

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions - we aren't committed to anything other than a Biltmore tour on New Year's Day and we rarely take the same way twice.  What we don't catch this trip we will on future ones.  Hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Years!

Don

• Like 1

If you're into racing there's the NASCAR Hall of Fame in Charlotte, NC, and several of the racing teams have museums and visitor centers in the Charlotte area.

The NC Museum of Transportation in Spencer is aimed primarily at trains but has a car exhibit. It's been several years since I was there; I don't remember how many cars. The train exhibits include working shops, a working round-table, many diverse railcars and rides with a steam engine. It's well worth a visit even if you're not that much into trains.

Again, it's been a while since I was there, but the C. Grier Beam Truck Museum in Cherryville, NC has a variety of trucks used by the Carolina Freight Corporation. The large tractor trailers are impressive. The museum is open limited hours so check ahead.

Have a safe and fun trip.

Don

• Thanks 1

Not a huge museum but has some interesting cars. A bit off your path in Greeneville TN City Garage Car Museum http://www.citygaragecarmuseum.com/

Lots of other things to see in and around Greeneville, You can even stop by the Bristol Speedway on your way back North.

Now if you want to go way off path I highly recommend the Lane Museum in Nashville.

https://www.lanemotormuseum.org/

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jim Bollman said:

Now if you want to go way off path I highly recommend the Lane Museum in Nashville.

https://www.lanemotormuseum.org/

1 hour ago, DLynskey said:

If you're into racing there's the NASCAR Hall of Fame in Charlotte, NC,

4 hours ago, Walt G said:

AACA Museum in Hershey, PA

I see many years of travel ahead to catch all these!  We actually took in the Lane last year and highly recommend it along with the Nascar Hall of Fame and AACA Museum.  

The Saratoga Automobile Museum in Saratoga Springs NY is a great Museum, although not the largest. There are several rarities on permanent display upstairs, the downstairs exhibits change two times a year. It's probably off your itinerary by a wide margin however, being circa six hours east of Buffalo. It's my home museum despite the fact that it's two+ hours away.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your destinations.  As things played out we couldn't visit them but they are on my list for future stops.  We had a great week away and stumbled across a few finds.  The Pierce Arrow Museum in Buffalo is well worth the visit.  Sometimes I think that my wife only tolerates the cars but she always something of interest in the museums and she also enjoyed this stop.  The drive along US 11 from Winchester Va to Staunton Va has an incredible number of 20's and 30's era gas stations including one that I that I should have stopped to photograph with lead glass windows.  In Staunton there was this museum that was closed when we were there but looks well worth the visit.  It's only open on Fridays and Saturdays but for 5 bucks how can you go wrong?

20191229_130500[1].jpg

Next up was Roanoke Va where we took in the Virginia Museum of Transportation.  It's fairly small but at $10 worth the visit.  The cars are more preserved than restored but still worth the visit.  There are aviation and rail displays as well.  Being a Mopar guy I had to take a closer look at these two, a Chrysler powered Sno Cat and a 34 Dodge school bus

20200104_231537[1].jpg

20200104_231559[1].jpg

To who ever we passed in the 36-37 Packard in Roanoke on New Year's Eve it looked like a very nice car!  As I told my wife it was a good thing that we had her car and not my truck or this would have been coming home from us.  For the Ford guys, someone needs to got get this, it's at Charlotte's Web Antique Mall in Salem, Va for $135.  Hint it's outside in the salvage item area.

20200104_231619[1].jpg

Wishing everyone a very Happy 2020 and may miles of happy touring!

Don

Edited by 3macboys (see edit history)
  • Like 1