Tire cost

nick8086

What the hell am I even looking at? $1800 doesn't seem at all unreasonable price for 4 wheels and 4 tires, ugly as they are. Tires are expensive. Good tires are more expensive and worth it. Tires with wheels inside them cost even more. Good tires with good wheels cost a fortune. Go price a set of 20-inch Fikse wheels and a matching set of tires and get back to me.

Tires for my '29 Cadillac were $460 each. And it uses six of them. Plus tubes @ $70 each, plus flaps @ $25 each. That's $3400 JUST FOR TIRES. I still need to supply the wheels and the labor and mounting and balancing and pay for shipping. It was close to a $4000 bill by the time the tires were on the car, and then they turned brown in a few weeks.

I paid AT LEAST $1800 for the tires and wheels on my Cadillac CTS when I installed snow tires a few years ago. New wheels and snow tires for my wife's Focus cost almost $1500 two months ago. 

Want to really be shocked, check out the prices of tires for a Bugatti Veyron, which are $42,000 a set and should be replaced every 2500 miles.

8 hours ago, nick8086 said:

FYI - i sold a kaiser for 200.00 a complete car..?????

If it's about relative prices of apples and oranges, I bought a toothbrush for $0.59 but they have the gall to charge me $2500 for a new TV??!? What's up with that?

• Like 3

The amount and type of "abuse" or hard knocks tires receive in use throughout their life span compared to all other motor vehicle components or parts, they are relatively speaking quite inexpensive.

This is also why I never understood some people (obviously not real car guys) drive on tires until they're beyond safe wear limit or past due their "use before" date.

The Kresge - Sears merger was a disaster for both, Craftsman tools are now sold at ACE (wonder about the lifetime guarantee ?).

Any more I buy batteries (AGM when on sale like now) and tires (BFG or Michelin also when at $160 off) from Sam's club.

Just succumbed to a Sam's Cyber Monday sale and bought a Philips (Funai made in Mexico) 75" 4K Android/Bluetooth  (first TV that needs a keyboard) TV for $600.00. Once figured all the "features" out it is much better than my aunchient Sony 1080 55" which is now in the guest bedroom. More comfortable than being in a cinema & with closed captions. Usable instructions would have helped particularly getting the digital optical audio to work. (If someone wants to discuss, this is not the place, PM is best).

Sets of tires (usually buy about a set a year) are usually in the $600-$800 with discounts range though did go square on my CTS with 235s on all four instead of 265s on the back. Used to buy only Michelins but these daze like BFGs better. Tread design on the Comp-2 A/S is great in heavy rain. Have more wheels than I know what to do with, at least two sets for each car except the Jeep.

It is the best of times.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gentleman I would suggest you stay away from brass era cars if you don't like those very cheap prices quoted above.

Rims,spokes,flaps,tubes,valve stems ,dust caps,rim nut for stem and tires for a 36 x 4 1/2 will set you back the price of a decent daily driver.  Don't' tell my wife LOL. Pete