2020 Corvettes NOT sold out...

barry22

The Loszewski article appears to have branded itself as "Fake News".   I'm not interested in the topic enough to expend effort searching for the truth of the matter.

Oh, well.

Now what?

Christmas Cheers,

Grog

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My Corvette was a genuinely fun car to drive.

And if you are a fan of advanced car tech then there is plenty to drool over in the new Corvette.

There are lots of places to mingle with other Corvette owners and talk shop as well.

Your same question could pretty much be asked about almost any collector car, really.

I mean, what is my Rickenbacker good for, really?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

That's a car with a pickup bed.  You can only go so fast.  My concern is what you can bring along. Parts, a Camper, Boat, 3 or so cars. The bed filled level with 16 foot pressure treated lumber that's so wet the boards are actually dripping a pallet of stone. ;)  That's what you buy a pickup for. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

That's a car with a pickup bed.  You can only go so fast.  My concern is what you can bring along. Parts, a Camper, Boat, 3 or so cars. The bed filled level with 16 foot pressure treated lumber that's so wet the boards are actually dripping a pallet of stone. ;)  That's what you buy a pickup for. 

I know, that’s what I had but not everyone seems to be of that mindset.  Remember the Dodge pickup with the viper v10?

16 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Honest question, other than the speeding tickets, and power parking at the local cruise in what is a Corvette good for? Bob 

I don't like Model Ts. Actually, I hate them. What good are they? I think they're awful cars. They're terrible to drive, too slow, marginal brakes, they feel dangerous in traffic, and I would never in a million years want one for myself. I'd rather walk. 

Nevertheless, I'm happy that there are guys who love them and I support them 100%. Have fun doing your thing, whatever it is. It's awesome. I salute the guys who drive them regularly on tours and have a great time doing it. That's 100% good.

I don't get fishing or bowling or golf or dumping all my money into slot machines, either. Nevertheless, there are millions of people who derive great pleasure from such things. Who am I to judge their preferences and desires?

Just because I don't personally get it doesn't mean there's no merit to it. 

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, TerryB said:

The truck lists for just under $97k, about 40% more than the base model 2020 Corvette.

Just another piece of evidence of what a great bargain the Corvette is.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Looks very nice, I'd be happy with a stone stock Ford engine and trailer hitch. Bob 

Any half ton pickup is just a car with a bed.

Chevy even has struts on the front of their 1500 Silverado.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 11:32 PM, 1937hd45 said:

Honest question, other than the speeding tickets, and power parking at the local cruise in what is a Corvette good for? Bob 

Bob, having had a 71 Vette and 73 TR-6 close to back to back I will say overall, I liked the TR better.  It was more engaging to drive, and sportier feeling if nowhere near as fast.  Also, no PS, etc.  In fairness, vette as auto, and not in as good shape.  Both roadsters.  I like the early C3 but if I could have either of them back I think I would take the TR.  Oh, having a small trunk and place for the dog  helped a little.  🙂

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Bob, having had a 71 Vette and 73 TR-6 close to back to back I will say overall, I liked the TR better.  It was more engaging to drive, and sportier feeling if nowhere near as fast.  Also, no PS, etc.  In fairness, vette as auto, and not in as good shape.  Both roadsters.  I like the early C3 but if I could have either of them back I think I would take the TR.  Oh, having a small trunk and place for the dog  helped a little.  🙂

One of my uncles had a 74 1/2 TR-6.

I got to drive it for an entire summer years ago.

While it was a very fun car to drive and a very unique car with a great exhaust note, I think I would still rather have the '78 Corvette I owned.

The Corvette was a much better overall driver.

It shifted better and just felt better overall.

Don't get me wrong, the TR-6 was a blast to drive and even back in the mid 80's it turned a lot of heads.

My uncle was meticulous about his car, only used Lucas electrical parts and Michelin red-line tires.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zepher said:

One of my uncles had a 74 1/2 TR-6.

I got to drive it for an entire summer years ago.

While it was a very fun car to drive and a very unique car with a great exhaust note, I think I would still rather have the '78 Corvette I owned.

The Corvette was a much better overall driver.

It shifted better and just felt better overall.

Don't get me wrong, the TR-6 was a blast to drive and even back in the mid 80's it turned a lot of heads.

My uncle was meticulous about his car, only used Lucas electrical parts and Michelin red-line tires.

I had mine 86 to 92 - ish.  I could not go around the block without compliments and questions, maybe due to the lack of true two seat roadsters in that time frame.  You could get the Michelin red lines back then brand new!! Unrelated to a direct vehicle compsrison, we belonged to an active club, maybe the best of the clubs I have belonged to, that really enhanced the experience.

The vette had a hard life, if I ever got another I would buy a perfect one as Matt suggested... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I had mine 86 to 92 - ish.  I could not go around the block without compliments and questions, maybe due to the lack of true two seat roadsters in that time frame.  You could get the Michelin red lines back then brand new!! Unrelated to a direct vehicle compsrison, we belonged to an active club, maybe the best of the clubs I have belonged to, that really enhanced the experience.

The vette had a hard life, if I ever got another I would buy a perfect one as Matt suggested... 

One time, I asked my uncle if he ever thought about putting a roll bar in his TR.

He said, 'It would ruin the car and besides, if you go around a corner fast enough to flip this thing over, you deserve to die'.  Haha.

3 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I'd still like to find a place to rent a Mini Cooper for a weekend

Here you go:

https://www.sixt.com/mini-rental/mini-cooper-hatchback/#/

Oh, did I mention you might need to take a plane ride first?😁 

I saw Sixt in Europe a few years back, now I see they have locations here in the US, even one just north of me at Dulles airport.

Looks like they have the station wagon version, Countryman*, at Dulles. So figure a few hundred more for the plane to get here.....😄

https://www.sixt.com/#/reservation/offerlist?isInitial=1

* or similar, of course, weasel words.....

Should be some affordable ones around soon, I read their repair record is lousy.☺️ Daughter test drove some a year ago and liked them until she read the reviews of owners after a few years and over 50 K miles.....

4 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Looks like Coker Tire sells a red-line tire.

No idea if they are comparable in any way to the original Michelin red-lines.

https://www.cokertire.com/185r15-coker-classic-3-8-redline.html

38 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Guess that won't happen, can't work the website. If I'm around in 20 years maybe an affordable one will turn up, so much for new cars. Bob 

Used minis are dirt cheap once they are out of warranty.

They do have a reputation as being maintenance problems as they age, much like most BMWs.

18 minutes ago, zepher said:

Used minis are dirt cheap once they are out of warranty.

They do have a reputation as being maintenance problems as they age, much like most BMWs.

My sister got tired of her Bring My Wallet and bought a Dodge.  Maybe someone shot a Video of someone driving a Mini, would save the time finding one. Bob 

• Like 2