Restoration of Victory Six sports roadster.

Mattml430

4 hours ago, Mattml430 said:

Thanks Ian I’m just dying to be allowed to go out and use it now. I just sit in the garage with the engine running bouncing up and down on the seat, sticking my head out the door pretending to yell a P platers. 😂

Make sure the garage door is open, we can't come to your funeral. And some of us Yanks need a translation for P platers.

• Haha 1

A new, inexperienced but qualified driver is regarded as a provisional driver (P plater) for a period of time (the time period differs from state to state as can the colour) 
A “P” plate is displayed front and rear.

CD43F408-4391-46F2-BF4B-A247305A8808.jpeg.a80133265c9c4cc78fac1c7c2e85b675.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nigal has described them politically correct, I would describe them as drivers (dickheads) that think we are just in there way no matter what lane we’re in and we all drive to slowly for them. They abuse you for abiding by the road rules or speed limit. 
“P”basically stands for prick behind the wheel and stay out of my way because I’m a way better driver than you’ll ever be with my 6 months of experience. 
we have red and green P platers here in Victoria. 
green just means your a bigger dickhead than a red p plater. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Ian_Greenlaw said:

OMG thats so funny Matt.......but probably describes it to a tee. The exception is a P Plater in a Ute with "Jet Pilot" sticker on the back window. You usually see them wrapped around a tree at some stage.

Don’t get me started on p plater twin cab Ute drivers. 

Of course we do have a plethora of underage, unlicensed drivers who are coming to grief on a far too regular basis in stolen cars often killing their friends and leaving the scene of the accident if they can. I blame the modern parenting model where respect for all things is non existent in some and consequences for their criminal actions equally so.

• 1 month later...

After a couple of hundred miles on the roadster now I’m going to change the weight of the oil in the shockers. It tends to bounce back a little to quick over bumps. The idea of the breathers on top of the shockers has worked out really well, there has been no leaks out of the seals whatsoever. There is also no sign of oil coming out the breathers. 
I’ll be interested to see if it improves the ride at all. 2AA81336-FE94-4AA0-BE22-7E1F3B6E3357.jpeg.f8d4b931f520ed532cd36df5d98cc7ce.jpeg

• Like 2

G'day Matt,

Great to hear and see, I think I'll do the same trick when I start work on restoring my shocks, I have been told by a few old Timers if you really want to stiffen up the shocks an old trick was to fill them up with grease, would be interesting to see if that would work.

• Like 1

Grease is semifluid so just like a grease gun it would get squeezed through the valve (or transfer port) when compressed by a bump as if you were greasing your bearings and bushes.

The standard oil used is very thin so using grease would increase the restriction provided at the valve so providing a stiffer effect.

On bumpy roads the travel would be too quick for the grease to keep up so before much went through the port the rebound would be pushing back the other way. 
Perhaps the suggestion was more for worn out shockies which allowed all the oil to leak out?

I ended up using 40/70 motor oil. Really slowed them down and took the bounce out of it. 
I also removed 2 small leaves out of the rear springs to soften it a little.

I think using grease in them you would run the risk of braking the straps.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

We were off to the club this morning for coffee and chat and halfway there my electric fuel pump died. 
It was a quite expensive 4-7psi pump to but it hasn’t lasted long. 
One!! was wishing at the time he’d left the old vacuum tank in there instead. 🙄
The electric pumps are normally pretty reliable but not this time. A good mate of mine grabbed another one for me from the auto parts shop and dropped it off to us, and in 5 minutes we were on our way again. It took an hour and a half for him to get to us though. We were very thankful he did that for us. Sitting on the side of the freeway for almost 2 hours with probably close to a 50,000 cars going past us not one of them stopped. WTF!! Is wrong with people today. One guy tooted us and another young fella yelled abuse at us out of his window. Anyway she’s all good again and I’ll keep a spare in the tool box just in case. The joys of old car motoring with modern components and some hidden Phillips head screws. 🤣😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Mattml430 said:

We were off to the club this morning for coffee and chat and halfway there my electric fuel pump died. 
The electric pumps are normally pretty reliable but not this time. A good mate of mine grabbed another one for me from the auto parts shop and dropped it off to us, and in 5 minutes we were on our way again. It took an hour and a half for him to get to us though. We were very thankful he did that for us. Sitting on the side of the freeway for almost 2 hours with probably close to a 50,000 cars going past us not one of them stopped. WTF!! Is wrong with people today. One guy tooted us and another young fella yelled abuse at us out of his window. Anyway she’s all good again and I’ll keep a spare in the tool box just in case. The joys of old car motoring with modern components and some hidden Phillips head screws. 🤣😂

The bloke that yelled abuses at you was just jealous.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mattml430 said:

It’s a shame, people now a days are just self centered, lazy & in a hurry.  I’ve met some really nice down to earth folks by stopping and lending a had before.   Glad it all worked out. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Me thinks John and Horace are getting even for hotrodding one of their cars. 

Your probably a 100% right there Doug. 

Yeah Rich we were about 300m past your turn off.😂🤣

• 2 weeks later...

Did a little bit of hot rodding on the roadster today. Fitted new vein type fuel pumps to it today. I’ve plumbed in a spare in case another one shits itself. This way it’s just a matter of changing the wire over. I’ll probably cycle them every 6 months to keep them moving. 
Also added a couple of leave’s to the rear springs as it was a little soft going over bumps at speed. 

6BB11D7D-B635-4B05-84FB-9906B15ED240.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Ron, I have a question. Have you ever seen a DB with TWO vacuum tanks? 

Hahahaha I don’t think I have Doug but what a great idea. You old fella’s think of everything. 😂

7 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

No Doug I haven't But I do have one off a Cadillac V8 and it is about 8 inches in diameter The ironic thing about it is the top and the inner tank is the same size as the one on my Senior

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Yes, a a 4 cylinder Graham Brother truck , may be 2 toner about 35 years ago that once ran the Toowoomba range from Gatton . I do not know if it was original or not , but I do know that I run out of fuel in the 1928 series 128 if one held the throttle open to wide to long. The range is about 2 miles long and rises about 2000 feet

• Like 3

3 hours ago, robert b said:

Yes, a a 4 cylinder Graham Brother truck , may be 2 toner about 35 years ago that once ran the Toowoomba range from Gatton . I do not know if it was original or not , but I do know that I run out of fuel in the 1928 series 128 if one held the throttle open to wide to long. The range is about 2 miles long and rises about 2000 feet

I remember my old FB Holden with the 138 in it would struggle going up the Toowoomba range. It’s a long hill, it had a mechanical fuel pump though. 

Bit like the old vacuum wiper’s they go flat out when your stopped and then stop when your flat out. 

Edited by Mattml430 (see edit history)

Since I’ve had the roadster back on the road and after an hour or so of driving I had found the oil pressure was dropping below what is normal. Which is about 30 psi at cruising speed. It wouldn’t change with adjusting the oil pressure valve. 
So while I was working on it the other day I removed the sump to just check it out in there. Starting with the pump I pulled the bottom off and found the gasket on it was .5mm or .020”. I don’t think I actually replaced it when I had it apart cleaning it all as it came of in one piece and still looked good enough to re use. Also found a couple of the screws that were not as tight as I would of liked them. I changed the gasket to a 0.1mm  thick gasket. Basically like a sheet of paper and did all the screws up with a 1/4 drive ratchet. My oil pressure is a lot better now and running just above 30psi after full temp. The engine still looks brand new inside as it should. Much happier to have that oil pressure running correctly now. 
I figured once the oil had got to a watery consistency it was bypassing the cogs ⚙️ and slipped down between the bottom plate. 
Just wanted to post this in case anyone else ever has a similar problem. 

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Mattml430 said:

Since I’ve had the roadster back on the road and after an hour or so of driving I had found the oil pressure was dropping below what is normal. Which is about 30 psi at cruising speed. It wouldn’t change with adjusting the oil pressure valve. 
So while I was working on it the other day I removed the sump to just check it out in there. Starting with the pump I pulled the bottom off and found the gasket on it was .5mm or .020”. I don’t think I actually replaced it when I had it apart cleaning it all as it came of in one piece and still looked good enough to re use. Also found a couple of the screws that were not as tight as I would of liked them. I changed the gasket to a 0.1mm  thick gasket. Basically like a sheet of paper and did all the screws up with a 1/4 drive ratchet. My oil pressure is a lot better now and running just above 30psi after full temp. The engine still looks brand new inside as it should. Much happier to have that oil pressure running correctly now. 
I figured once the oil had got to a watery consistency it was bypassing the cogs ⚙️ and slipped down between the bottom plate. 
Just wanted to post this in case anyone else ever has a similar problem. 

Glad that you have found what is more than likely the problem The consequences would have been catastrophic if left unsorted 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ron Lawson said:

Glad that you have found what is more than likely the problem The consequences would have been catastrophic if left unsorted 

It still had oil pressure but not as good as it should’ve been. At start up it would hit 60 but slowly drop to about 20 after an hour or so. Having that bit of extra pressure there does make me happier though. I’m sure the big ends and mains will enjoy it more than me. 

• Like 1

Well done Matt, I am a great believer in maintenance, prevention is better than the cure. It makes your car more reliable and therefore more enjoyable to drive. It also helps us enthusiasts knowing what to look out for and how to  fix it. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just read your article on the restoration of your roadster in the latest Dodge Brothers Club News.  Great job!  It was fun to see it in print after watching your work on here.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jari12 said:

I just read your article on the restoration of your roadster in the latest Dodge Brothers Club News.  Great job!  It was fun to see it in print after watching your work on here.

Thanks mate, Tracey asked if I could do a follow up article on the original to show it finished. I’ll have to get Doug to send me a copy.