2021 Regal pics leaked

retirednow

Guys.....brand loyalty is, or should be, dead. I mean, why bother?  Todays cars are meerly assembled from third party global suppliers that supply parts to the highest bidder. The ony thing distinctive about a buick is the badge and it appears even that means little and will soon disappear........bob

On 10/21/2019 at 3:48 PM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Me too. I might get excited when a BUICK, not a rebadged, is built.

Ben

By the look of things, Buick probably won't be around much longer anyways. 

Only 9000 units sold? That's actually really sad. I wish this crossover fad would die off, because its seeing a huge decline in sedan sales across the board, but... its what is selling right now.

8 hours ago, Beemon said:

I wish this crossover fad would die off,

The crossover buyers are dying off. That market is for the aging population that can't get in and out of low setting vehicles. The height of my '60 Buick and the contour of it's seats make it about the lowest vehicle my wife can handle. I am still flexible enough for any container on wheels, but for a new one I would have to be looking at something with an ass high seat. She has a Tahoe now and that will probably be her last personal car.

Gearing up for the millennial market will be interesting. I think you will see two car couples. The low mileage driver will lease and the higher mileage driver will buy an off lease 36 month old car. That seems to be the new routine I have seen develop. A clean off lease car is selling for a little less than sticker price on the used car market. For a couple of years I have been watching $70,000 trucks coming of lease at $35,000 in nearly new condition and under 30,000 miles.

Bernie

• Like 1

Considering that most of Buick's sales gains happened after the Encore and Envision were introduced, that relates to a younger buyer demographic than Buick has seen in quite a while, by observation.  As a result, it will be decades before those buyers "die off", as things normally go.  I believe the Encore is built in China and imported into the USA?  For the size it is, it has an impressively nice ride.  Not sure how that happened, but somebody obviously did some great work in that area.

After GM sold Opel, I knew that the new owners would be contracted to build the Regals until the contract ended a few years later.  When done, no more of those cars.  Opel had been charged with developing the smaller GM global cars, including the last Holdens.  With Opel gone, that function would have to be shared with other GM entities, obviously.

I know the marketplace is changing, but it also seems to me that GM has made some massive blunders in product decisions over the past decade.  Maybe a bit longer?  Unfortunately, that pattern seems to be continuing.

USA buyers want SUVs?  Maybe so, in this time of homeowners wanting to make "Home Depot runs" many weekends.  BUT look at what Volvo has become!  Stylish SEDANS, plus a compliment of SUVs, too.  AND, by observation, a buyer demographic and orientation that USED to be what Buick had, by observation.

I feel that one reason the PTCruiser did so well was that it was an economy car that didn't look like one, back then.  The Chevy HHR tried to cap into that vibe, but it didn't work nearly so well.

Kind of funny how that these small SUVs serve the same purpose as "station wagons" used to.  Then we got small sedans with rear hatches rather than deck lids (for greater utility).

Take the side profile of a modern SUV, then trace a line over the rear section to make it a sedan with a deck lid.  THEN you realize just how short the whole vehicle is!  Or compare the side profile of a Dodge Magnum to the similar Dodge Charger sedan.

In the mean time, I'll keep my fwd Chevy Impala with the fold-down back seat and large trunk.  Which will handle 6' lumber with no problem.

Interesting thing is that the Dodge Charger has become the highest selling sedan in the USA market, as GM and others focus on "utilities".  As the IMPORT brands still build some great sedans and sell them in good volumes.  A VW sedan with a $159.00/month lease, too!  Detroit has once again handed the import brands some good market segments as Detroit allegedly builds what Americans wants (and Detroit can make massive profits on).

Y'all enjoy and stay warm this season!

NTX5467

On 10/23/2019 at 4:21 PM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

"Hated" may be a bit harsh for me. I will never own one. Period.

Ben

I agree, just completely ignored is more appropriate.

Spend 25 bucks and read about one business man's experience. Then go car shopping.

https://www.littlebrown.com/titles/beth-macy/factory-man/9780316231435/

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:13 PM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

What vintage Roadmaster?  

Ben

Well Ben, since Bill Mitchel's stretched and lowered Riveria is not available,  and the newer ones are just "stick on's"  I guess it will have to be the silver / charcoal '55 Roadmaster listed on "Classic Cars .com" for a mere 20K.

I think '55 was the last year the ports were open, so I can route the headers up to them for real, rather than Ned's flashing lights.

Mike in Colorado

Ooops, it's gone. well back to the hunt............

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Buick didn't ask my opinion on any of their cars,  so I will keep that opinion of their new cars to myself. 

If I was in the market for a new "car" or other vehicle,  I would strongly consider the Korean cars.... good selection, sizes, and the interiors (where you spend your time) are better looking than

vehicles costing thousands more.

My daily driver is a 2014 Chrysler T&C minivan.

At 29+ MPG and room to haul  a lot of the castings and machined parts I still have to deliver, and a beautiful black leather interior, I could not be happier.

Sold the '07 Lincoln Towncar last year as I'm getting too old to lift parts up out of the trunk, though it did have a better sound system, which I kind of miss.

Looked at the new Chrysler Pacifica and though they are a bit less "boxy", I could not justify the cost, of the car + insurance + license fee, here in Colorado.

I also did not think they were as roomy as my '14.

When I take customers for lunch, they think it is a new car, and have given it lots of positive compliments.

I do keep it well "sorted", as on a moments notice I'm off to Salt Lake City, Kansas city, or Casper Wyoming. to see customers or make a delivery.

That's just the way we roll.

Mike in Colorado

PS, Boy was that off topic.............

For $ .02 I would buy Sandy Jones' 1933 series 90, but I think the '31 Imperial would get jealous, and I just do not have the room to properly store it, Bloody shame !!!

img230.jpg

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)

That Chrysler T/C .....Pacifica model change is interesting........why?   The TC sold really well and the Pacifica was smaller and with the wave of the magic marketing wand ****** The Pacifica is not top of the line and the TC is the also ran.

On 10/23/2019 at 3:21 PM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

"Hated" may be a bit harsh for me. I will never own one. Period.

Ben

In 2018, the ROA had its annual meet in Overland Park, KS. Close enough to GM's Fairfax assembly plant in Kansas City, Kansas for a guided tour.  There they were  building the Chevrolet Malibu.  About every 10th car to come down the line was a Cadillac XT4.  If you take GMs word for it Cadillac is THE quality built GM product.  I didn't see any change in personnel when a Cadillac came to a certain place on the line.  The same UAW employee was doing his/her thing to each car regardless of make.  But they all wound up at the same place in the end where a bunch of big guys with big hammers and long pry bars were adding that final tweak to the fit and finish.  That was hard to believe. Now I know why picture taking is not allowed inside the plant.  Makes me wonder if somehow or another a Buick badge might get stuck on a Cadillac or vice versa. 

I've attended some classes on the Asian "Just in time" assembly methods. 'Not too soon,  not too late.'  Products come from smaller shops in small quantities. If there's a fault in something any person on the assembly line can shut down the entire line until that batch of product is replaced with another batch.  No million part recalls after the car has been delivered. No big hammers and pry bars at the end of the line. It fits right the first time.

You've got to remember. The products you buy from Asian plants were designed in the USA, and the build quality was prescribed by the designers and corporate accountants in accord with the administration to maximize profits.  You should also do some studies on the Asian culture and the pride they take in themselves. 

I once worked with a guy whose brother-in-law worked at the TWA overhaul base in Kansas City, MO.  This guy told me that his brother-in-law told him that they'd go on strike not to get what they were worth but to get what they wanted. They knew that by going on strike they'd cut into corporate profits and eventually get what they wanted.  The quality of their work did not increase proportionally with their pay. They just got more money for doing nothing more than they had been doing. The American way.

Sure, I'll get another Buick when the lease is up on the current one. But I'm going to look at the whole product and not worry about where it was built and who assembled it.  

• Like 2

Finally convinced my Mom last year to get a new car ... She had a 1995 LeSabre that was the last car my Dad bought her before he passed away . We have had a lot of Buicks over the years and they were damn fine cars ... But when we went new car shopping for her is when I realized Buick no longer makes interesting cars . We got her a Chrysler 300 , and she loves it . Hemi V8 in a bona-fide rear wheel drive SEDAN.

Oh , and to get back on topic , I had a 1986 GN , That was a Regal .

• Thanks 1

My wife's last car was a PT Cruiser originally bought for my daughter.  She picked it because she liked how it looked.  It was a 'program car' with under 20K miles when bought.  Being a Chrysler, I was leery of reliability so I paid for the extended warranty (particularly since it was my daughter's car).  We wound up buying it from her 4 years later with about 60K miles.  My wife drove it another 80K miles with nothing but routine maintenance.  (The biggest job was timing belt/water pump replacement at 100K mi.)  My niece now has it as her car...

Anyway, my wife loved the car as it was basically a compact station wagon.  With the rear seats folded down she could pack it with plants, furniture, or whatever.  When I decided it was time to replace it she wanted another -- but they were no longer being built, so I suggested a Kia Soul as the closest alternative.  Well, I think she likes the Soul even more than the PT.  I will say, every time I am under the hood or the car, I am impressed with the way that car is put together.  No doubt it is an inexpensive car, but the things that were 'optimized' for cost are still well executed.  It has changed my opinion of 'cheap' Korean-built cars.

I just put front struts, and rear shocks on the DW's 2002 Dodge minivan to celebrate rolling over 250K.

Here in Colorado, they do not rust out, and we see a lot of older cars that still look good.

I'll admit that it only gets about 25 MPG, but the savings in license fees and insurance makes me feel good,

and I would not hesitate to start a cross country trip in it tomorrow.

Mike in Colorado