ACD Eckhart Park 8-31-19 PHOTOS

Brass is Best

It was a great time, and fun to take our car out to Auburn for its first time out of the barn in five decades;  bringing it back to its homestead. Good food, great times, and fantastic people. It’s a must do event for any car guy.......or gal. Two hundred Cord’s  and Auburn’s and twenty five Duesenbergs on the field, plus what was on display in the ACD museum. I met several forum members in person......it was great to put a face to all the names.

8D88E3B2-B335-413D-B54C-837691058D08.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Did anyone by chance record longest (driven) distance attendance by each make ? If yes, I wish to offer my congratulations to those owners and would love to see pictures of the cars they did it with + read about their journeys. 

1 hour ago, TTR said:

Did anyone by chance record longest (driven) distance attendance by each make ? If yes, I wish to offer my congratulations to those owners and would love to see pictures of the cars they did it with + read about their journeys. 

John M of this forum won the distance trophy for his Auburn, 380 miles one way if I remember correctly. 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

John M of this forum won the distance trophy for his Auburn, 380 miles one way if I remember correctly. 👍

Thanks for reporting and congrats to John M. 

Does anyone have a photo of it ?

What was the longest distance driven with a  C. or a D. ?

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

On this trip we hit 50,430 miles since restored - speedometer clicked over to 50K when on beltway outside of Fort Wayne on way up to meet.   We clocked back into the driveway at we think 712 miles round trip this year - lots of winding around Indiana and Ohio on State Routes.   1935 Auburn 851 Salon Phaeton 

69072728_10157782432347189_1217167223148249088_n.thumb.jpg.4a5bea856ddd59fd8759d0a3d948099d.jpg

• Like 3

Sidenote:  You can drive these cars fine if you are willing to put in the time and the money.  One trip home we did it just hitting the brakes 3 times as there were really none, one trip home we did it on a cracked cylinder head using 8 quarts of oil and  4 gallons of antifreeze (and then engine was started to be taken out and rebuilt the next day - I am not one to waste time).  Other trips were a flat tire, a broken starter bendix bolt, loss of 1st gear more than once, and ...  This year we had a leak at the fitting on the oil filter canister and it is pretty oil filmed under hood as a result - will start cleaning it up this week as promised to show car at Dayton Concours d'Elegance.

I forgot to mention this was the test drive for the new, new, new, new aluminum cylinder head (# 4 now on car in ownership) - same amount of antifreeze at Auburn as when when left home - hopefully same today to, but spent the day pretty much sleeping.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Sidenote:  You can drive these cars fine if you are willing to put in the time and the money.  One trip home we did it just hitting the brakes 3 times as there were really none, one trip home we did it on a cracked cylinder head using 8 quarts of oil and  4 gallons of antifreeze (and then engine was started to be taken out and rebuilt the next day - I am not one to waste time).  Other trips were a flat tire, a broken starter bendix bolt, loss of 1st gear more than once, and ...  This year we had a leak at the fitting on the oil filter canister and it is pretty oil filmed under hood as a result - will start cleaning it up this week as promised to show car at Dayton Concours d'Elegance.

Thanks for sharing, both the pictures and this side note. 

I would love to hear/read more about all your travel experiences with it, including your aforementioned mechanical "set-back".

Have you posted/published about them before, either here or elsewhere ?

If not, please consider, maybe on the thread I started few months ago right after joining this forum.

After having been involved with this hobby over 4 decades, both as an enthusiast and a professional, I don't anymore get much out of pictures of cars in static display at shows.

Printed media (books, magazines, etc) and now interweb has umpteen million of them already, but seems there's surprisingly few good and/or inspiring write-ups of first-hand experiences by owners actually using them "as intended", especially for long distance/touring driving.

• Like 1

Most years the Wakens drive their 812 up from Oklahoma.  It was trailered this year.   A club member used to drive up from AZ but he passed away this year so that trip is over.   Seems like it's fewer and fewer cars every year.  The owners are passing and the cars aren't around like they used to.  

A couple years ago the White Rolston drove down from Hickory Corners.  Depends on how many cars they bring.  That year it was one so it was easier to drive down.  I'm not aware of any Duesenbergs driven there this year.    I've driven that white Rolston around 50 miles in the past and it was fantastic.   I had the blue clear vision with aluminum belts in the shop last spring.  Fantastic car,  one of the best starting ones I've seen.  

My wife drives her Auburn coupe 90 miles each way every year while I follow with the camper.   She's been driving it down for almost 25 years and her grandpa before that.  She stays for the awards and I leave for home early.  It's only let her down twice and both times have been a cracked rotor that grounds out to the top of the shaft.  She fixed it the second time on the road.  It was a real head scratcher the first time.  

• Like 3

There are more people driving cars than many people realize, but the hobby is evolving and not as many people want to pound out miles on a pre war car for lots of good reasons. We put 2500 miles on a J in four months two years ago. All of the mileage was Club and tour events, not transporting the car from point to point. 

• Like 2

When we do a tour or a show the car gets driven there and home again.  It was the way we were taught.  Unfortunately that usually keeps us around within 300 miles or so from home due to time restraints.  Someday we will have more time to venture farther out.  

20 years ago other people had our same mentality but it's lost now.  We were probably the only car that drove to St. Johns this year and especially pre-war.    Meadowbrook used to have plenty of show cars in the hotel parking lots.  

If I could afford a J it would be driven to Auburn every year and would sit out every night just like our Auburn.  Wouldn't matter how nice or which one it was.  It's just how we do it.   The white rolston, blue clear vision, and our Auburn coupe sat out in the rain saturday night and believe it or not they didn't melt.  

• Like 2