Didn't know New York City had free long term parking!

marcapra

The 'Lac is a '70, not a '71.

Pulled into "The City" 30+ years ago in a long ramp 6-pack on the way to Massachusetts to fetch a Cadillac. Spent a few days sightseeing. Stayed midtown, and found free parking for my friend Steve's stretch ramp within a couple blocks of the hotel. Would have been about 6th Ave at about 44th street. Seriously ! Free ! There was a construction project with quite a bit of signage regarding prohibited parking, and otherwise. I read it ALL, and if taken literally, there was a sufficient space for the truck which was free and open. I guess it must have been, because we were never ticketed nor impounded for the duration of our stay. That would have been on a very late June, or the first  couple days of July. We came in by way of the G.W. Bridge at night. Late the next morning, with the truck secure, an unusual (to us), and unexpected, parade was going down 5th Ave, a 1/2 block from our hotel. So we checked it out. Many, many different, uhhhh, constituencies (?). One group was the old duffers, proudly cruising down 5th, smiling from beneath what was left of their white hair while waving from old pre-war cars. The parade did end on a very sad note. But not before a float went by with a couple of girlies on trapezes, one of whom looked almost like Steve's PITA redhead girlfriend. Oh "The City" ! More of everything,done better than anywhere else. And free parking to boot !     -    Carl 

5 hours ago, C Carl said:

The 'Lac is a '70, not a '71.

Pulled into "The City" 30+ years ago in a long ramp 6-pack on the way to Massachusetts to fetch a Cadillac. Spent a few days sightseeing. Stayed midtown, and found free parking for my friend Steve's stretch ramp within a couple blocks of the hotel. Would have been about 6th Ave at about 44th street. Seriously ! Free ! There was a construction project with quite a bit of signage regarding prohibited parking, and otherwise. I read it ALL, and if taken literally, there was a sufficient space for the truck which was free and open. I guess it must have been, because we were never ticketed nor impounded for the duration of our stay. That would have been on a very late June, or the first  couple days of July. We came in by way of the G.W. Bridge at night. Late the next morning, with the truck secure, an unusual (to us), and unexpected, parade was going down 5th Ave, a 1/2 block from our hotel. So we checked it out. Many, many different, uhhhh, constituencies (?). One group was the old duffers, proudly cruising down 5th, smiling from beneath what was left of their white hair while waving from old pre-war cars. The parade did end on a very sad note. But not before a float went by with a couple of girlies on trapezes, one of whom looked almost like Steve's PITA redhead girlfriend. Oh "The City" ! More of everything,done better than anywhere else. And free parking to boot !     -    Carl 

Carl,

Pretty interesting story, that was 30 plus years ago ti was a different city, now in the post 9/11 era it would not happen in mid town. There are still many pockets of small suburbia in the outlaying boroughs in NYC where to above mentioned Cadillac has been parked. If it has a current inspection and registration stickers there is nothing anyone can do and if parked legally, There are less and less of those places in NYC to be found 

I remember reading about that car in the N.Y. Daily News last week. Really strange, sometimes if you leave a car unattended for a day, it gets towed. This car has been in the same area for years and doesn't get towed. Been here for 72 years and I still can't figure New York out.

It was owned by an elderly man reportedly suffering from mental illness, who was unable to take care of it, according to local residents. Interestingly, the 1970s sedan had a current New York inspection sticker.

Yeah!  Sounds like me.  The mental illness is a love for old cars!  I guess to have a current inspection sticker it would have to run?  

"The luxury sedan from decades ago was stuffed from floor to roof with yellow newspapers and empty water bottles."

I thought NY charged for it's trash removal service? Evidently the NYPD's finest felt obliged to help out...🙄

It is getting harder for me to adjust to the old style media format when it shows up. It should have been a video with four inset boxes with automotive reporters from various news sources all speaking over each other.

Something like this:

image.thumb.png.849638fc315e32a1f0a883db29e9d721.png

• Haha 2

Here are the poll results so far:

If you lived in this neighborhood, would you want this car to be towed after 25 years of being parked in the same spot?

31%
Yes, absolutely

49%
No, absolutely not

15%
I wouldn't really care

5%
No opinion / Other

I'm one of the 15%.

Craig
  • Like 1

I have mentioned to my wife that many of the perennial cars in our area are missing. She says I am like taking the dog for a walk. If he finds a piece of pizza crust he never forgets the spot and sniffs around every time they go by. She thinks I am like that with cars and you get to know certain cars, roads, and neighborhoods where the cars sit.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, nick8086 said:

Did you see this :

That car is a staple in this community,” said a neighbor that goes by the name of Jake.

That's why they wanted to get it removed before it was declared a historic landmark because the bureaucratic red tape to then have it removed would be ridiculous. 

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

That's why they wanted to get it removed before it was declared a historic landmark because the bureaucratic red tape to then have it removed would be ridiculous. 

unless it is somehow determined to be related to the Civil War ;), then it will be taken away/down immediately :blink:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

I think you got that backwards,  only things pertaining to the civil war are being attacked,  or the revolutionary war or the founding fathers or fill in the blank. 

My wife no longer lets me watch any new TV series. Says she's worried about my blood pressure after my one-sided debates (she calls them tirades) with the small screen due to Hollywood's endless "revisioning" of historical facts.

However, I'm certain that I am correct as I've proven over and over, while shaking a volume of Encyclopedia Britanica at the glowing monster, but it just won't listen....

20 hours ago, GregLaR said:

"revisioning" of historical facts.

I thought the Civil War was a battle between the political aristocracy and the "new" money of the industrial north.

You know, a violent version of the 2016 elections.

2 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

So what's the big deal ? I have a car sitting in my garage that's been there for 50 years.

There are sections of NYC that anything goes, everyone minds their own, the problem is now Brooklyn went from being a a rundown outer borough to becoming the "place to live" for the "m generation" What was once a crappy area is not so crappy now, and this car could possibly be in the next up and coming area. Most likely some investor bought some property and wants it go up in value and that old Caddy sitting on the street is not doing anything for that value  

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2019 at 9:59 AM, 60FlatTop said:

I have mentioned to my wife that many of the perennial cars in our area are missing. She says I am like taking the dog for a walk. If he finds a piece of pizza crust he never forgets the spot and sniffs around every time they go by. She thinks I am like that with cars and you get to know certain cars, roads, and neighborhoods where the cars sit.

If the door is open I still look inside the garage were a T Head MERCER lived for years. 

Bob 

• Like 1