1940 Ford Coupe Older restoration that still looks good with fresh mechanicals

I was trying to market this to a local Audience but have had alot of request to list it here.

Here she is.

A 1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe sporting an older but looks like pretty much unused restoration.  It was very well stored in a climate controlled garage after the restoration so everything is still in pretty fresh looking condition.  

She looks to have had a frame off restoration,  though not to concourse standards.  Chassis is painted, but the underneath was lightly undercoated and then mated back together.  

Whoever did the restoration spent the bank.  All new chrome throughout including accessory wing tips and grille guard twin mirrors, they even replaced all the dash chrome. It's still in beautiful shape with no pitting.  

All rubber was replaced as well in and out along with all new window glass.  They even woodgrained all the moldings and dash inside. 

It looks like she was completely disassembled as well in and out during the restoration.  Everything under the dash is brand new, Cowl vent mechanism, wiper assembly etc.  including a complete correct cloth wrapped wire harness. 

I even think the gauges may be new or NOS.  All switches were replaced and everything is in working order, except one fog light,  which I need to investigate. 

New rubber matt upfront and in the trunk as well as a trunk liner kit. 

Though I have no paperwork on the engine,  it looks like it might have been rebuilt as well as every bolt is cadmium colored and the engine is fully painted,  so you can only do that with it apart. 

Of course they also installed a full correct style interior kit during the restoration that shows no wear. 

She runs well and stays cool even idling in the hot sun for prolonged periods of time. 

To get her ready for her new owner,  I just installed a complete new set of wheel cylinders Hoses  and master cylinder as well as addressed the emergency brake so everything is functioning properly.

Everything done with Dot 5 Silicone Fluid so you will never have to worry about it. 

Complete fuel system was addressed as well with brand new Gas tank Fuel Pump and Carburetor. 

She looks to have had a very solid body to start with so you aren't buying some patched up old field car. 

While not perfect she still looks great and will get plenty of looks at your local cruise night or car show. 

Asking $30,000 But trades actually strongly encouraged full or ideally partial.  I would even consider multiple trades. 

I'm located in Lake George NY.  a popular summer destination area so stop in and take a look while you are up with the family. 

I have many auto and truck related interests and will consider most pre 70's stuff with greater interest in older cars/ trucks.

IMG_6544.JPG

IMG_6515.JPG

IMG_6516.JPG

IMG_6518.JPG

IMG_6519.JPG

IMG_6520.JPG

IMG_6526.JPG

IMG_6527.JPG

fullsizeoutput_11fe.jpeg

IMG_6532.JPG

IMG_6533.JPG

IMG_6534.JPG

IMG_6535.JPG

IMG_6536.JPG

IMG_6537.JPG

• Like 4

very nice deal Randy. Your car should sell very quickly. Well kept.

I sold a 40 last week on the bay wo motor and trans and plenty of rust-needing everything! it went for 5500. and was a #5 car..........only good thing it had was "patina"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mercer09 said:

very nice deal Randy. Your car should sell very quickly. Well kept.

I sold a 40 last week on the bay wo motor and trans and plenty of rust-needing everything! it went for 5500. and was a #5 car..........only good thing it had was "patina"

As we always tell the new guys,  it's best to buy the best you can afford.  I can't imagine guys buying one like the one you sold and restoring it to one along these lines or even better.  What a long road.  Even the cars I have seen for say upper teens usually need it all. 

I imagine the guy that bought it is going to rod it.  Did he tell you his plans? 

• Like 1

Anyone have $30K they can loan me?

cmon George, step up to the plate. last month you were on a car buying spree- or so you said........

LOL!

Randy, can only imagine my car is getting rodded. too much work for a purist. the frame has rot at the perches in the rear and will need to be totally boxed or a new frame dropped underneath- the body looks "cool" but that is about it and so much work.

as you said, buy the best you can afford and 40 fords are the darling of the car collector world, along with 57 chevys.

Love the trades idea, but have seldom seen it work.

so my 37 812 is going to be available........... runs and shifts, but needs EVERYTHING............

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................. could give you all the parts you need for your cord. then sell the surplus.

:)

2 hours ago, mercer09 said:

so my 37 812 is going to be available........... runs and shifts, but needs EVERYTHING............

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................. could give you all the parts you need for your cord. then sell the surplus.

So you've been holding out on me? ;) 

• Haha 1

Or you could buy my Cord and fulfill that wish. You have the parts to build one.  I take trades.

would love to, but never spent anywhere near the value of your car in my life and afraid I never will.

I have often thought of selling off all my cars and buying ocean front property.......... the dreams we have.

Careful or pretty soon they will require you to have insurance just to buy it and as soon as your insurance lapses they will seize it.  Don't laugh,  I could see it happening looking at the present train of thought of some of the extreme fringes in our country. 

ahhhhhhhhhhhh! so you did want one of those amazon jobs!

and here I thought you were happy up in your neck of the woods......................

those darn customers on ebay killin it!

LOL

ps Im not overly happy with the new state taxes in NJ and NY with ebay. I can tell you it has curbed my buying. do I really need it, is what I now ask myself......

53 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

ps Im not overly happy with the new state taxes in NJ and NY with ebay. I can tell you it has curbed my buying. do I really need it, is what I now ask myself......

Believe me we are all feeling it.  Just gave me a raise in overhead of 8 percent for everything I buy to sell or buy in to run my business.  I could get the tax exempt thing,  but then I have to deal with the tax man in NY so it's almost easier to pay the extra 8 percent than fight with them.  Because even if they are wrong, you have to prove your innocence.

I imagine my sales have taken a hit some as well as other states have adopted it.  

Here is an idea,  instead of strangling every nickel out of the citizens,  why don't we balance the books.  The state is broke and in debt,  yet then proclaims how they just bought some new huge tract of land , Taking it off the tax roles, with money they didn't have to add to the millions of acres they already own. 

Oh yeah and they forget to mention,  it's for everyone to use,  but all the roads on it will be closed off and the only way in is a 25 mile hike on a 2 lane road.  :( 

But hey they are saving us from ourselves.   

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Believe me we are all feeling it.  Just gave me a raise in overhead of 8 percent for everything I buy to sell or buy in to run my business.  I could get the tax exempt thing,  but then I have to deal with the tax man in NY so it's almost easier to pay the extra 8 percent than fight with them.  Because even if they are wrong, you have to prove your innocence.

I imagine my sales have taken a hit some as well as other states have adopted it.  

Here is an idea,  instead of strangling every nickel out of the citizens,  why don't we balance the books.  The state is broke and in debt,  yet then proclaims how they just bought some new huge tract of land , Taking it off the tax roles, with money they didn't have to add to the millions of acres they already own. 

Oh yeah and they forget to mention,  it's for everyone to use,  but all the roads on it will be closed off and the only way in is a 25 mile hike on a 2 lane road.  :( 

But hey they are saving us from ourselves.   

Back to car talk please.

• Thanks 1

Some interesting trades coming in from Facebook and Craigslist.  Besides the others mentioned.  I had a looks like beautifully restored 53 MGTD in black offered and just now a 60 Corvette.  Now the Vette is needy with some old body damage showing in the paint,  but being i once had a 60 I really liked,  it could be a top contender depending on how clean the chassis is and how much damage was done to the glass before it was "fixed' 

I will add no prewar trades offered.  :( 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

Nive Vette but I love the TD.  I am just about evenly split between my 30 A roadster and a TD.  Each has a few different advantages and actually some similarities.  I have thought if I could find right trade up it may be cheaper in the long run.  

Anyway i imagine more cash your way if you do the MG I would imagine.  20k gets a very nice example..

I had MG fever once, I had a fellow wanted to trade me a TD for a car I had.  Beautiful cars, they look great.

Ready to pull the trigger, I took my first test drive in the TD.  My feet didn't fit those itty bitty brake and clutch pedals, and maybe it was just the one I drove, but very underpowered.

I passed.  I'd think the Corvette is an interesting trade, if frame is good and damage not bad....it's just Fiberglas!

So you are saying driving the TD would be like driving my Wife's VW rabbit?  My feet are a tad challenged in that. 

It's a shame the TD is black otherwise it would be easier to pass up.  It does look good in black.

The Vette looks pretty good underneath.  No scale just some surface rust on the chassis,  but I didn't see any bad pitting.  Body damage is limited to the back I believe a crack in the fender and another spot of damage,  possibly on the trunk lip , maybe even where the fender is damaged it cracked the drip rail in the trunk?  Some paint peeled on the back fenders on the side.  Chrome looks very good.  Interior looks good.  Both tops.  I'm not sure about numbers but it is a 4 speed 4 BBL car.  Probably not matching.  We'll see where it goes from here.  Atleast some trades more along my likings than the Muscle car,  which I never heard back on.  Lots of interest to come take a look.  Maybe we are up to 10 touches.  another 30 something to go to a sale. ;) 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Are we still talking about the 40 Ford?  I'm probably being very picky, but is that oil bath air cleaner original?  Seems like all other Ford V-8s have a much smaller one.  

No idea on how correct the air cleaner is.  Could have been a dealer accessory, they did offer a heavy duty air cleaner.  I think the horns may be incorrect as well.  I'm sure if you went to concourse style judging it would have other flaws like the blue voltage regulator,  but then again we aren't talking about a 40G car.   It's a pretty correct car .  No small block,  no later flathead, No Ac or 12 volt conversion, disc brakes,  no Hokey tuck and roll tweed interior etc.  Pretty much for the most part like Ford probably had them looking when they were delivered.  

• Like 2