2020 ROA Meet, Kalamazoo, MI, June 22-25

Ray_Knott

Get out your calendars for next June and join us in Kalamazoo. We are close to the Gilmore Car Museum with over 400 cars displayed in numerous structures - a total of 190,000 square feet on a 90 acre campus. If that is not enough there is the Air Zoo, a Smithsonian- affiliated  Aerospace & Science museum,, just three miles from our host hotel. For details on the hotel and our schedule go to our website at www.rivowners.org.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pat Curran said:

I like the revived logo for the 2020 meet.  It is one of my favorites.

I saw a kid wearing a t-shirt at the G-burg meet with this graphic on the back. I assumed it was from an earlier meet.

FYI, can an admin please pin this thread to the top of  the forum page?

Just thought I would post this for those that might be interested.

The “Meet Application” is posted on the ROA website.

"Click here for a meet application, schedule, attractions and hotel information."

Here is a link to the form, PDF required …

Click here for the registration form (PDF 1.2MB)

It also states …

ROA registration form will appear in the November /December issue of the Riview.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Good day, sorry for the long post, I can often type faster than I can think sometimes, so bear with me...

Still in the concept planning stages, but I am considering attending this year's event. We have a couple pretty big car shows around here, (+700 cars) but rarely do we see more than 1 or 2 Riv’s, seriously. I can only imagine seeing firsthand nothing but a (?? gaggle, pack, I kinda like a “Bask of Rivieras” (from a “bask of crocodiles”; they’re a bit of a sleeper but they’ll come up to bite you pretty darn quick...😊

Anyway, first step (actually second step, first was the "better half approval to go solo but bringing a friend", check..) is figuring out the best way to get there from here. We can fly to Toronto and drive across the border, but that’s my least favourite option. 

We’d either fly to Detroit or Chicago ,our flights are both similar, and drive from there. Driving times appear close enough. If anybody can provide any pros or cons, suggestions for either/or, that would be greatly appreciated.

Never been to either city but I’m actually leaning Chicago primarily since the Tigers are visiting the ChiSox during the week and I’d love to take in a ball game.

Looking at flying Tuesday, take in the Tuesday night game, drive to Kalamazoo Wednesday morning, hopefully blow my socks off in the ‘bask’ Wed/Thursday, drive back to Chicago Friday morning, fly home...

Outta curiosity, assuming an average turnout, how many cars would typically be in attendance? (asking for a friend...)

Other than that,  (for now...) if/when/once we book flights, I'll look into the host hotel, but again, any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Hope I can make it work.

Later, 

• Like 1

Hi Mike, 

Chicago usually has more fun things to do but is way more congested. Detroit has a nice airport that always seems under utilized. It’s located west of the city so the drive will be easier. Dearborn, also on the west side, has the Henry Ford museum as well.

I’d expect a good turnout, maybe 150 Rivieras or more.

The Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village will take you a whole day if you really want to get the most of them. But it's well worth it.  If possible take in an 1867 era baseball game featuring the Greenfield Village La-Te-Dahs. When baseball was a gentlemen's game. Hoo Zah, Hoo Zah

historicbaseball_hero.thumb.jpg.7d96da10e9ce59791de29796ce69ef36.jpg

Regarding the request to have a cruise of the countryside around Kalamazoo, we are planning a scenic fun cruise after dinner on Tuesday. It will be a slow relaxing tour with directions and questions based on the sites. This is much like we have done in the past.

I am also attaching an updated schedule with an announcement of a speaker on Tuesday afternoon.

Pg 35 meet sch c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2020 at 11:30 AM, Ray_Knott said:

Regarding the request to have a cruise of the countryside around Kalamazoo, we are planning a scenic fun cruise after dinner on Tuesday. It will be a slow relaxing tour with directions and questions based on the sites. This is much like we have done in the past.

I am also attaching an updated schedule with an announcement of a speaker on Tuesday afternoon.

Pg 35 meet sch c.jpg

Bill Porter. Nice.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Good day,

Thanks for talking me out of flying to Chicago, ya, that’s a destination all it’s own.

We booked flights to Detroit on the Tuesday, staying in Dearborn, then take in the Ford museum on Wednesday. Booked the Four Points in Kalamazoo for Wednesday and Thursday nights. Fly outa Detroit Friday afternoon...

Whirlwind tour, but looking forward to it...

Thanks again for the input.

Later,

Edited by MikeJS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Still early but the way things are going, borders closing, "social distancing" taking grip of the world, I suspect June will be here a lot sooner than we think. Fingers crossed, but I'll be surprised if this world gets back to any resemblance of normal by then...

If this continues, hopefully I can get some refunds on what we've booked to date. So much for well laid plans...

What a drag, but as mentioned it's still only March...

Later,

Kalamazoo, 2020

CANCELLED

In the interest of our member’s health and anticipated government restrictions we must cancel our meet for this year.

Refunds submitted to the ROA will be refunded.

Contact the hotel directly at 269-385-3922 to cancel your rooms.

See you next year in Branson!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 3/20/2020 at 5:06 PM, Seafoam65 said:

Branson  Missouri will be a blast.....looking forward to it!

I might make the drive for that one; it's where mine was when I located and bought it.

• Like 2