MrEarl

1979 Estate Wagon, AC Blower and Carburetor Problems

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, MrEarl said:

 

The heat sink unit was going to be used in addition to the unit between the rad and condenser before I realized I had a engine coolant temp while towing problem. Now considering removing the unit between the rad and condenser and adding a large one in front of the radiator. If I do that I'll definitely just go ahead and swap out the radiator with a 3 core, possibly aluminum.  

 

3 core will serve you well.  It did with my 73 Estate Wagon (college car, 455)  that overheated quite a bit with the factory radiator.  This included our families 73 Estate Wagon purchased new.  GM should have known better.  Anyway...for me, the installations would be from nose to tail:  trans cooler, condenser, radiator.   Some claim Water Wetter works in lowering temps.     

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a side note, the 3 core aluminum may be so efficient that an additional trans cooler my not be necessary.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MrEarl said:

 

I had a full tune up with new plugs, wires, set timing etc but am definitely not satisfied with the output of the engine...

 

Sounds like you need me to bring you an Olds 403 to put in it... 😁

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't the Olds 403s have overheating problems of their own? I seem to recall something about siamesed bores or something like that...

 

As long as we're spending Mr. Earl's money, how about a built 455 with a 700R4 behind it? Keep it all Buick and give it the power to ignore hills and loaf along the interstates!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Don't the Olds 403s have overheating problems of their own? I seem to recall something about siamesed bores or something like that...

 

 

Meh... I keep hearing that, but we had a '77 Delta 88 with a 403/400 and pulled a camper with that thing everywhere.  The only thing we ever cooked was the transmission. We only got rid of it because my brother bent it in the middle.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SpecialEducation said:

 

Sounds like you need me to bring you an Olds 403 to put in it... 😁

 

What would I do with two 403's?  This one should be good to go, just doesn't have the power I would have thought it should. But tha's another thread.....

 

3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Don't the Olds 403s have overheating problems of their own? I seem to recall something about siamesed bores or something like that...

 

 Exactly and mine has had two head jobs already and precisely why I am trying to ensure it doesn't get another

 

3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

As long as we're spending Mr. Earl's money, how about a built 455 with a 700R4 behind it?

 

Why stop there, got a posi traction rear end to go with it?

 

 

 

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SpecialEducation said:

Meh... I keep hearing that, but we had a '77 Delta 88 with a 403/400 and pulled a camper with that thing everywhere. 

 

403/400 ?  Olds would have been a 403 right.  Never thought I'd ever spend more time on Olds and TransAm sites than here but recently that has been the case. The emission controls back then really played havoc with the muscle car scene eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

The emission controls back then really played havoc with the muscle car scene eh?

 

Yeah, but not so much what people think. For the most part it wasn't all the little valves and pumps and hoses that caused that, it was low compression, and suboptimal cam and ignition timing.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MrEarl said:

 

403/400 ?  Olds would have been a 403 right.  Never thought I'd ever spend more time on Olds and TransAm sites than here but recently that has been the case. The emission controls back then really played havoc with the muscle car scene eh?

 

Sorry, I’m saying that we had the 403 Olds with the THM400 transmission. 

 

Did we ever figure out what rear end you have?  The 403 is pretty potent, so if you think it’s lethargic, it may just be a gearing issue. 

 

Funny you should mention T/As. I’ve got a spare 403 that a friend pulled from a ‘79 so he could drop in a Poncho 400. He says it was a wasted effort. Not worth the time/money he spent scrounging up parts. 

 

Perhaps @Ben Bruce aka First Born needs to come down and help you install fuel injection?  🤣

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SpecialEducation said:

Did we ever figure out what rear end you have?  The 403 is pretty potent, so if you think it’s lethargic, it may just be a gearing issue.

 

a th350 and 3.23 Limited Slip

 

 

image.png.16787cb780c7b05397bfec07f02354bf.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MrEarl said:

 

 . The emission controls back then really played havoc with the muscle car scene eh?

 

Castrated comes to mind. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the window sticker this Buick has the 5.7 350 Olds.  Rated around 160 hp.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

According to the window sticker this Buick has the 5.7 350 Olds.  Rated around 160 hp.     

That was standard, see the options list, about midway down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, $4000 worth of options on a $7000 car is really significant. Talk about loaded! Nice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

That was standard, see the options list, about midway down

 

 

Got it!  403 hp is 185 if my research is correct.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:
18 hours ago, MrEarl said:

 

 . The emission controls back then really played havoc with the muscle car scene eh?

 

Castrated comes to mind. 

My 76 Olds 455 was factory rated at 190hp/350 TQ (pathetic!) After rebuild with an "RV" cam from TRW (specs show only mild upgrade from stock) it really got woke up.

(some 455's from 68-70 had 400 hp and 500TQ)

A friend with the Olds 403 installed the same cam and it cam alive.  Later he installed Olds 350 heads (raised CR) from  a 1968 and it dyno'd nearly 400 hp (TQ unknown).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, old-tank said:

My 76 Olds 455 was factory rated at 190hp/350 TQ (pathetic!) After rebuild with an "RV" cam from TRW (specs show only mild upgrade from stock) it really got woke up.

(some 455's from 68-70 had 400 hp and 500TQ)

A friend with the Olds 403 installed the same cam and it cam alive.  Later he installed Olds 350 heads (raised CR) from  a 1968 and it dyno'd nearly 400 hp (TQ unknown).

 

 

That’s one of the great things about the Olds platform, you could stick a ‘68 455 cam from a 442 into an ‘85 307 if you wanted to (and the factory did!). 

 

The number 1 thing that woke up the Olds powered Buick I drove in high school was the installation of a “high flow catalytic converter” (a.k.a. “Test Pipe”). lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2019 at 12:42 PM, old-tank said:

A friend with the Olds 403 installed the same cam and it cam alive.  Later he installed Olds 350 heads (raised CR) from  a 1968 and it dyno'd nearly 400 hp (TQ unknown).

 

 WOW Tha's more than double the hp!!! Did it live?  I remember driving a friends Trans Am back in the late 70's and that thing would brake loose spinning all over the road at half throttle. I guess that's why I'm thinkng "somethings" still not right with mine. I'm going to be working on the cooling concerns over the next couple weeks then look into the lack of power, perceived or real

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Lamar,

You could do what all us straight 8 folks end up doing.

Put a big pancake fan up front on a toggle switch.

 

Saw in another thread that you sold "Buttercup" to a fellow in N.C.

Now what is Terry going to sit on next ?

 

Mike in Colorado

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MrEarl said:

 

 WOW Tha's more than double the hp!!! Did it live?  I remember driving a friends Trans Am back in the late 70's and that thing would brake loose spinning all over the road at half throttle. I guess that's why I'm thinkng "somethings" still not right with mine. I'm going to be working on the cooling concerns over the next couple weeks then look into the lack of power, perceived or real

 

The rear sheet metal and glass is very heavy in the rear of these wagons.    

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, FLYER15015 said:

Hey Lamar,

You could do what all us straight 8 folks end up doing.

Put a big pancake fan up front on a toggle switch.

 

Saw in another thread that you sold "Buttercup" to a fellow in N.C.

Now what is Terry going to sit on next ?

 

Mike in Colorado

 

 Mike, I have the stock radiator and fan on mine. Radiator WAS re cored  in 2009. Stays at thermostat  [ 190 ] temp even with A/C on.   ONLY time it has overheated was returning from OKC last week, towing the teardrop and running the A/C.  Think I found the limit. 

 

  Still hoping to meet you someday.

 

  Ben

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2019 at 12:42 PM, old-tank said:

A friend with the Olds 403 installed the same cam and it cam alive.  Later he installed Olds 350 heads (raised CR) from  a 1968 and it dyno'd nearly 400 hp (TQ unknown

 

Darn you @old-tank now you’ve got me spending even more time on Olds and Trans Am sites. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2019 at 12:42 PM, old-tank said:

A friend with the Olds 403 installed the same cam and it cam alive.

 

It “cam” alive. Cute 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

Lamar,

 

One question, does the secondary on the 4 barrel function?    

 

You know I’ve actually begun wondering about that and if it does does it open fully. My mechanic said he set timing ( I didn’t ask at what) and that he adjusted the carb some so one would assume he checked that @avgwarhawk) I’ll be looking into that more after I get overheating issues resolved. My simple brain can only handle one thing at a time. I’m even  having problems remembering which thread I posted what in. 🙄😟

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...