What is equivalent tire size for 810 x 90 ?

Rim size is 26.25 x 3

Existing tire is Dunlop 810 x 90

Car is 1904 Ford Model B 51

Was told after WW2 - tires were bought in Europe due to limited manufacturing in US

Clincher rims

Need (4) new tires & tubes for running on the road - not dancing on the stage

Jim

96AA948D-09ED-4464-BA13-C46DFB16F763.jpeg.a539c515397510b290334f8ed3ec4fea.jpeg

26.25 measured where?

Metric rims on an American car of that era is certainly not out of the question, but something doesn't add up. Coker's page for the Excelsior 810x90 says it fits a 630mm rim. 810-90-90=630 so that adds up. 630mm = 24.8 inches. Are you sure those aren't 25" rims?

In any event I suspect you will need to go metric to find clinchers.

Assuming the rims are original ( which I believe they are ) .....

I have been told the current tire on the rim shown  ( 810 x 90 size Dunlop ) 

is Post WW2.

The rim measurement is approximate.

What would the equivalent pre WW2 size clincher tire be ?

Jim

https://books.google.com/books?id=u2I2AQAAMAAJ&pg=RA3-PA416&lpg=RA3-PA416&dq=32+x+3+1/2+clincher&source=bl&ots=-jN2TbKMmi&sig=ACfU3U1-x3XdDIgsJ5DQ6uZNPjukJ_aaaA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj69rPLmNLiAhWN4FQKHYg2DqwQ6AEwCnoECAYQAQ#v=onepage&q=32%20x%203%201%2F2%20clincher&f=false

I'm guessing 32 x 3 1/2.... but it could have been metric then, too. Not many clinchers are made. Assuming it is a 25 inch rim, you may have to take whatever size is made. That excelsior you found might easily be the only one.

2 hours ago, Bloo said:

https://books.google.com/books?id=u2I2AQAAMAAJ&pg=RA3-PA416&lpg=RA3-PA416&dq=32+x+3+1/2+clincher&source=bl&ots=-jN2TbKMmi&sig=ACfU3U1-x3XdDIgsJ5DQ6uZNPjukJ_aaaA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj69rPLmNLiAhWN4FQKHYg2DqwQ6AEwCnoECAYQAQ#v=onepage&q=32%20x%203%201%2F2%20clincher&f=false

I'm guessing 32 x 3 1/2.... but it could have been metric then, too. Not many clinchers are made. Assuming it is a 25 inch rim, you may have to take whatever size is made. That excelsior you found might easily be the only one.

Thanks for the link in your post but it doesn’t go anywhere - it just redirects back to this thread.

Jim

I don't believe Trulyvintage mentioned whether he was avoiding Coker, or just the Excelsior brand.

Some love Coker, some hate them, but they are impossible to avoid. As far as I know they own every vintage tire source except Diamondback and Blockley. I have never seen clinchers of any sort in the Diamondback catalog, and Blockley doesn't list anything that looks like it will go on a 25 inch rim.

4 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Google 1903 Ford images and enlarge the photos of restored cars, you may be able to read the tire size, I Think 28x3 is what will fit. Bob 

But it really can't be. Trulyvintage posted an image of an 810x90 tire on his rim, and those tires are for 630mm (approx. 25") rims. 28x3 would be for a 22 inch rim. That would be quite a lot of stretching....

Educational day ...

These tires are not available:

76F38840-3F27-426C-AF58-EB436CA8BFF4.thumb.png.f7f84d6706e47aa42791e1c1ce144ec7.png

We don’t have $2000 for Excelsior tires.

Flaps are in stock at Lucas in Long Beach.

Brass stem tubes have to be ordered from

Europe - not in stock.

I am picking up the 1904 Ford Model B

body from Ray Wells in El Cajon, CA where

it has been for several months.

Ford 1904 Model B # 51 ( historically known as B # 52 ) is the only regarded

largely original 1904 Ford Model B known

to exist.

It has been in Southern California since

December 2018 when I dropped it off.

If everything goes according to plan - it will attend The EFR Tour in the week leading up to The 2019 New London Run in August.

History will change .....

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Wonderful chart.   I have 27" clincher rims...now sporting Motz cushion tires...in pretty bad condition.  Brittle as all get-out.   Figure if I get the 1914 Detroit running,  the tires will shred on the payment.  What to do...what to do ???

If Ferry-God-Mothers were still in business...I would ask for white clincher tires.  I would have to adapt the rims to take tubes...as...cushion tires did not take air...What to do ?

1914ad-MOTZ-TIREemail.jpg

On 6/4/2019 at 9:27 PM, Trulyvintage said:

Don’t want their acquired “ Excelsior “ brand

I'm sorry you feel that way.  I have had 2 sets of "Excelsior 550 x 19 tires" in the last 10 years on m daily driver averaging 1,000 miles a month.  Never had a problem with them.  I had a couple of flats until I changed to these tubes.  I believe these are the best tires I have had in 59 years (400,000 + miles) on my daily driver.

DSC03094.JPG

According to Carlton Pate's book Early Ford Automobile Encyclopedia, the Model B came with 32" x 3 1/2" tires.  That works out to a 25" rim (32-3.5-3.5),  and your existing  810x90 mm tires work out to a 24.8" rim, which is close enough to 25" to confirm that 32 x 3 1/2 would fit your rims.   But I can't find that size available in any of the usual suppliers.  However,  a 33"x4" tire also works out to a 25" rim size, and Universal and Lucas tire list this tire size as available.

Another slightly oversized tire which will work for you would be the 34x4-1/2 which uses a 25" rim (like my former 1912 Oakland Model 30.

The 1st number (34) refers to the overall height of the tire-

the other number is the height of the sidewall, but remember there is an upper and a lower,

so 34 minus a pair of 4-1/2 (9) equals 25, which is effectively your rim size

If a clincher in the size desired is not available, don’t forget you can put a filler (usually a stiff rope) in the groove of the clincher rim and place a straight wall tire on the wheel. It has been done on many cars, even cars that see a lot of touring miles.