1930-32 Franklin. Restored and Reliable

• 2 weeks later...

The Franklin Trec attendees would be your best bet. Attending the meet would probably give you several options. Not everyone who has cars available are on line. Franklin guys tend to be a different type of owner and collector. You need to get inside the circle.

• Like 3

I am hoping to get word out to someone who might be attending to see if anyone is thinking of selling. Attending the trek is impossible for me as I take care of rescue diabetic and blind dogs. It is way too difficult traveling with them that distance from TX.  So anyone who might be reading this and going please keep me in mind if you hear some chatter of a car coming up for sale :)

Have you actually looked at, sat in, and driven any Franklins yet ? It really should be a true LOVE experience. In that travel opportunities are limited due to your highly commendable love for our superior best friends, have you been able to accumulate any hands-on local experience with any late '20s - early'30s cars ? If so, which ones ? 

Sandy and I fell in love with a big beautiful 1916 Cadillac 7 passenger touring back in 1986 at a world's fair in Vancouver, B.C. I HAD to get one. Searching led quickly to a 1918 about 150 miles from home. It totally impressed me in the way it drove and handled. It needed a tremendous amount of work due to damage from a leaking roof on the garage which had imprisoned it for a few decades. But it was low mileage, and ran very well. No, I wasn't impressed with the harmonic vibration of the old single plane crankshaft V8. Neither totally thrilled with the 2 wheel brakes. I was convinced to make a very fair offer by the tight, strong, solid feel of the mechanical condition. Seller declined my generosity. I guess I am glad he did, as ultimately I found the perfect car for me. It took 3 more years, and cost me 3 times that offer, and I looked at and drove 3 more cars to get that one special car. In that search, I came to re-assess and refine my needs. In the end, only a '24 or '25 with a 2 plane crankshaft inherently balanced V8 with 4 wheel brakes would do for me. I bought the 2nd '24 Cad I drove, and brought it back to Seattle from Eastern Ohio. It would have cost me almost 10 times my offer on the '18 to have got that car to the condition mine is in. My search might have taken me 30 years. I have not seen such a good deal from my standpoint, in the 30 years since I bought mine. I got VERY lucky. However, my next '20s Cadillac, my 1927, took me 20 years to find. I realized early on, that only UNRESTORED original cars in exceptional condition would do. That GREATLY limited the field, and is why it took so long.

I know that you are somewhat new here. You may not know my oldies. I apologize to those who have seen too many pictures of these jalopies, but I know for sure that if this is your first introduction you will not be bored or put off.  Unfortunately, the '24 7 passenger touring did suffer a repaint over 50 years ago. Fortunately, it was done in original colors. I did mess up the wheels, since, being painted over, there was nothing original to preserve anymore. I had to get a pinstriper to renew the stripes on the '27. They had been brutally buffed into oblivion, leaving naught but a few remnants. This allowed us accurately re-create them.

You have expressed some concerns regarding working on such old machinery. From your inherent mechanical aptitude, and all the successful experience you have in somewhat more modern cars, you will have no problems whatsoever. Particularly with all your friends here who have personal expertise in what you end up with, you will catch on quickly.

Have no fear, Brooklyn Beer !!    -   Cadillac Carl 

AE93CF3E-4AE3-465E-BBE1-E00CF749590C.jpeg

0519B3F7-C718-49C1-AE5A-A85690B49882.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 5:35 PM, Brooklyn Beer said:

I am hoping to get word out to someone who might be attending to see if anyone is thinking of selling. Attending the trek is impossible for me as I take care of rescue diabetic and blind dogs. It is way too difficult traveling with them that distance from TX.  So anyone who might be reading this and going please keep me in mind if you hear some chatter of a car coming up for sale :)

As Ed said, you need to get inside the circle.  The Franklin Club is a pretty tight-knit group. Part Clan and part Club. And, you don't need to travel to find a Franklin, you just need to know how best to reach out to the most Club members. And finding someone to find someone at the Trek isn't the best way.

There are Franklins out there that can be for sale. However, only about 1/10th of the members post to this site. Many older members, who are more likely to be thinking about selling their car, are less likely to be online. Some of my customers even refuse to own a computer. But, the Franklin Club publications reach all the membership.

Many Franklinites want their car to stay within the Club, so they only look to sell through the Club, such as the Franklin Club's  website, the "Service Station" bulletin, and notes/pictures posted up on the bulletin board at the Trek.

Some members don't want to run ads and go through all the hassle of dealing with tire-kickers. But if they see someone is genuinely interested in buying,  they will  contact them to sell a car.

Contact the webmaster to keep a current notice of what your looking for on the Club's website opening page and in the wanted section. The last one I recommending doing that was contacted by a member  and  got a Franklin he wanted just a few months later.  Put a want ad in the Franklin Service Station. It's mailed to all the members, not just whatever percentage is online.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Will do.  I just contacted both the webmaster and the Service Station.  I started going back into the old editions and it seemed that in the previous years many Franklins fitting my want have popped up. Starting out with the right car is very important to me as it will be a learning experience.   Thanks for everyone's help !

Edited by Brooklyn Beer
new (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Brooklyn Beer,

Talk/email/phone Franklin Club members about wanting to buy a Franklin. Let everyone know. Be as specific as you can.

I bought my 1921 9B touring from a Franklin club member through the HCCA website. His knees couldn't take using the brakes anymore, so he upgraded to a 1928 7-passenger with hydraulics.

About 5 years ago I called the Franklin Club webmaster to post a want ad for a 1929 Franklin sedan. The webmaster said he just took an ad that morning from someone wanting to sell a '29 135 sedan. I ended up buying the car before either ad posted. The sedan had a long history of Franklin club ownership and several good Franklin mechanics had worked on the it. The Franklin was in Fort Worth.

On 6/7/2019 at 6:32 PM, Brooklyn Beer said:

I started going back into the old editions and it seemed that in the previous years many Franklins fitting my want have popped up. 

Brooklyn, don't hesitate to use the older ads.

Often, cars don't sell immediately.

I once called about a pre-war car for sale by

using a year-old ad in Hemmings Motor News.

That car was still available and the price was

realistic.

Perhaps start with ads within the last year and

phone the owners.  Then go back to 2 years old, etc.

Those owners might be very glad to hear from someone!

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, classiclines said:

I know you didn't want a "project" - but I just saw this today...   ...never know whats out there!

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/penryn-1930-franklin-model-145/6998377825.html

Thanks for looking but I already bought one back in August.  A 1931. Sooner or later I am going to get to sorting it once our driving season ends.  Weather here is still in the 70's during the day but winter is coming hard tomorrow night. The car I bought developed a  pronounced 1.5 inch lean (squat) to the passenger side at the rear when in transport which I really need to do some research on to figure out why. Need to do the annual car shuffle today and move her down to the work barn for winter that has smaller 1 car bay easily heated. Then LOTS of gasket changes to slow down the oil leaks !

1 hour ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Thanks for looking but I already bought one back in August.  A 1931. Sooner or later I am going to get to sorting it once our driving season ends.  Weather here is still in the 70's during the day but winter is coming hard tomorrow night. The car I bought developed a  pronounced 1.5 inch lean (squat) to the passenger side at the rear when in transport which I really need to do some research on to figure out why. Need to do the annual car shuffle today and move her down to the work barn for winter that has smaller 1 car bay easily heated. Then LOTS of gasket changes to slow down the oil leaks !

70?  What is your definition of “coming hard”?  55?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Brooklyn, Since you have already made your purchase I want to hijack a bit.

After studying all of this I got interested in Franklins myself.

I stumbled onto one not to far from here.

In talking to the guy I find that it needs wiring and some other tinkering to be drivable. (right up my ally)

He said that it last ran about 5 years ago in a local parade and he pulled it because it was overheating. It was a hot day and a lot of idling.

He let it cool and drove it home without issue.

It seems that I read that these cars don't have problems with overheating, would a hot day with a lot of idling be an exception?

I think he commented that the grill louvers are operational.

The car is a 1930 four door and I don't yet know the model, but I will be taking a look after the seller gets his elk. (a week or two, a holiday in the mix as well)

If the car is a 1930 it is a series 14 they made two models a series 145 and a series 147. the 147 had a longer wheelbase. Both used the same engine. Option was a Detroit 4 speed transmission ( 1st gear was a low low stump puller gear) Overheating? my thought is check how clean the fins on the cylinders are, if the spark plugs have the correct gap, and if the shutters up front do indeed function. If not for now block them open. Ignition parts are easy to get so replace all : Delco equipment ( cap., rotor, etc) and exact match for the 1950-54 Chevrolet which total should cost about $45. There may be  a wear issue with the steering box bearings ( can be rebuilt with a fellow in New England to do the work - info found via Franklin club) If the car you are looking at hasn't run in 5 years then make sure you get oil onto the valve stems and rocker arms so you don't break anything before you try to start it. I owned a 1931 Franklin for over 40 years and drove it at least 1,000 to 1,200 miles per year. No issue! Once sorted it is a great car at 50-55 mph on a paved road. Join the Franklin club and read the back issues of their Air Cooled News magazine.

Edited by Walt G
typo error (see edit history)

Thank you 09, I kinda figured that.

But air cooled motor cycles don't have driven fans and I am sure the Franklin does. But getting outside air must be necessary when in hot weather.

I don't do parades so if I do score this thing it will be road driven.

It sounds like a RI harness might be in order. The current owner sent it out for some wiring repair and he made it sound like all the shop did was get it running.

I don't take much stock in  first phone call info. I will know more later when I get a chance to take a look at it.

And thank you Walt, If I do get this car I will be needing this kind of help. Good to know about Chevrolet ign. parts.

I didn't ask if there was a manual included but from the phone conversation I would think that there is. The car was in the club in the past.

I just visited the Franklin club site and I am impressed. But with that said I have always known that these cars have HUGE support.

The guy told me that it was his wife that wanted the car but after the parade thing she didn't like it any more.

He also said that he never licensed it but does have a title.

How did they know it was overheating ?  But you can use that as leverage in getting a good price especially if the wife wants it GONE NOW.  Sounds like he never learned much about the car to understand the workings of it.  I doubt the car was overheating but I bet it was having a little oil get on the cylinder fins making smoke. Ask me how I know.

The club has the best support I have ever seen with a club. I need to change out the valve cage gaskets on mine to stop some of the oil leak that was leading to smoke (overheating ? NOPE).  Just common leaks that crop up with them. I also need to change out the lifter tube gaskets that leak  (No smoke) .  I am looking forward to really getting into the top end of this car once weather craps out and I can swap cars around and get her in my little service bay that is easy to heat. 

You could be correct about the oiling vs overheating.

It was just a first phone call so I don't have many details.

The two pics that I saw look good, he claims to have spent some money on chrome and paint.

But stalled projects can be either simple finish up or a can of worms.

And yes, if a wife has any say it could definitely affect the deal.

I will post results of a meeting when that happens.

On 11/26/2019 at 8:14 PM, Studebeggar said:

32 frank 4dr sdn calif..about 20k..real nice exccelent cond.....not my car..can forward your info to him if interested..sc

I've sent you a message with my contact details in it - I'm interested in finding out more about this car

Roger

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:54 AM, JACK M said:

You could be correct about the oiling vs overheating.

It was just a first phone call so I don't have many details.

The two pics that I saw look good, he claims to have spent some money on chrome and paint.

But stalled projects can be either simple finish up or a can of worms.

And yes, if a wife has any say it could definitely affect the deal.

I will post results of a meeting when that happens.

I passed on this one. its a 1930 with new paint and chrome. (claims 40K invested which is probably right)

Needs some attention, he is asking 20 as well.

Kiwi, if you want the sellers info drop me a pm.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 1:31 PM, JACK M said:

Brooklyn, Since you have already made your purchase I want to hijack a bit.

After studying all of this I got interested in Franklins myself.

I stumbled onto one not to far from here.

In talking to the guy I find that it needs wiring and some other tinkering to be drivable. (right up my ally)

He said that it last ran about 5 years ago in a local parade and he pulled it because it was overheating. It was a hot day and a lot of idling.

He let it cool and drove it home without issue.

It seems that I read that these cars don't have problems with overheating, would a hot day with a lot of idling be an exception?

I think he commented that the grill louvers are operational.

The car is a 1930 four door and I don't yet know the model, but I will be taking a look after the seller gets his elk. (a week or two, a holiday in the mix as well)

Properly tuned, Franklins don't have problems over heating, but modern fuels do.  Most likely it was having vapor lock, or the engine is out of tune and needs "sorting" by someone who really knows Franklin engines.

Otherwise, in the hottest weather, sitting at a light, or in stuck in traffic, Franklin engines actually cool down because of the pressure and volume of air the crankshaft-mounted fan forces through the ductwork of the cooling system. The engine is not under load, which as you know, when under load the exhaust gas volume and temperature is much greater as the engine is producing more heat to move the car.  Unlike the motorcycle analogy, Franklins have a constant forced cooling system and don't need to be moving to cool the engine.

In fact, the fan produces so much cooling air force that if you don't fasten the sheet metal air hood down on a Series 10-13 Franklin engine it will blow that hood off with enough force to hit the garage ceiling. I once had to repaint a freshly painted front fender for a customer that put a dent in it while he was assembling that car. He started the engine, but forgot to fasten down the air hood that covers the top of the motor. And there were no hood panels on the car yet to block it flying off the engine top. The 30 and later engines have even more cooling air volume/force.

If a Franklin over heats, it either way out of tune, or it might be pistons from that company that begins with "E".  

One other thing that will make it seem to novices like it's over heating and losing power is the master cylinder is not properly adjusted and the compensating port is covered by the lip of  master cylinder rubber piston cup. As the underside of the car and the brake fluid heats up, the brakes come on because the fluid can't expand back into the reservoir. The driver thinks the engine is loosing power and stalls because of overheating, but it's actually fighting against the brakes coming on.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I spoke to the owner of this car this afternoon to find out a bit about it. He told me about it overheating in a parade a few years ago.

Later this evening I hope, he's sending me the car's serial number so I can find out just exactly what it is, and some photos of the new interior it has.

The mechanical items - engine, transmission and rear end - have not been touched as part of the restoration it's had the last few years - the money has gone on paint, chrome, upholstery, wiring (but not completed) and odds and ends.

Roger

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

I think I jotted down the engine number.

But my notes are out in the shop.

If I recall it was within the given spread for 1930.

The s/n plate is on the firewall but I didn't write that down.

The serial number will give the exact model and determine if it's a limousine or sedan or ...

Roger

• Like 1