An amazing survivor Plymouth from 1958...

JamesR

...if this ebay ad is correct. 10,000 miles it says. Didn't post in the Plymouth section because my emphasis isn't on the car, but the amazing original condition an old car can be in (again, presuming the ad is accurate.) Look at the photo of the front seat:  it's so 1958. Looks like a kitchen countertop from the same era...and about as comfortable to sit on 😀. Might just be a seat cover. I also wanted to post this to get estimates from y'all on what the car will eventually be bid to. Hard to say. He says even the tires are original.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-Plymouth-Fury-Belvedere/192910102678?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D9ee03ba5f94c408bab4c41d909245225%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D173891265189%26itm%3D192910102678&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A42a5e060-7145-11e9-88d9-74dbd18013fd|parentrq%3A9595e41316a0ad4b56708be5ffea7660|iid%3A1

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

s-l1600.jpg

This car is an extreme rare find, and all original except for the new fuel system which was replaced last summer (fuel tank, sending unit, fuel pump and rebuilt carburetor), and new rear wheel cylinders.  The car still has the original factory tires on it and the factory upholstery coverings were never removed.  The car is equipped with the 318 poly head V8 and push button automatic transmission. It also has power steering, power brakes and air conditioning.  This car is a true survivor and a one of a kind with just over 10,000 miles and still has the new car smell!!!

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

A very nice time capsule James. Seat upholstery matches the door panels. I think it just has clear seat covers over top.

This looks to be a fairly unique car in that it sports some very nice options for a Plymouth, PS, PB, Radio and especially Air Conditioning. Color combination is terrific, I believe that is Copper Glow..

The only visible flaw I can see is a little sun fading on the rear license panel.

This car really deserves a better (and more complete) photo display and detailed write up.

Final price? That's a tough one. Condition and miles are unbeatable. I'm going to guess $15K which is pretty strong for a 4 door sedan body.

7 hours ago, GregLaR said:

I'm going to guess $15K which is pretty strong for a 4 door sedan body.

It's scary to think what a two door hardtop with the biggest engine option (350 Golden Commando) in this same condition would bid to.

Then again, old car prices are just kind of generally scary. I'll be watching this auction with interest.

10 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I would love to see an engine photo or two.

Me too. I agree with Greg that the photos should've been better and more extensive for a car like this. Picture quality isn't bad, and they do get the door jambs and scuff plates, but the angles and views are limited. IMO, this will limit the bidding and benefit the buyer if the car is as nice as it seems (without good pictures or physical inspection, the bidders are taking a risk, and will bid accordingly.)  Poor photos have netted me some great buys on vintage S&W revolvers on Gunbroker.

1 hour ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

They hold up better above ground in a garage. 

Agreed. How could they not see this fail coming?

1957-belvedere.jpg

I live a couple of states away from Oklahoma, and was seriously considering driving there to see the unveiling of that car. I'm really glad I didn't. Kind of like going to see the Hindenburg land.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, D Yaros said:

The ebay listing refers to "factory upholstery coverings."  Not a big MOPAR person, but I tend to doubt that Plymouth delivered cars with clear plastic "fFngerhut style" seat covers?

Those were actually available from the dealer and even listed in the parts catalogs, coming in a factory box. 

• Like 2

Thanks for enlarging the seat picture, Mike. I couldn't tell in the smaller picture, but the seat pattern really does follow the side panel pattern (like Greg said.) Just the tight fitting clear plastic covers (which appear to have yellowed slightly) give it a different look.

I have those same covers on my own survivor - a '61 Monterey that I bought with 48k miles. I had a decision to make: the cover was somewhat split at the driver's position and deteriorated a bit more as I drove the car (the upholstery underneath is still perfect, though.) I contemplated never driving the car to keep the cover as intact as possible, but decided that wouldn't be best for the rest of the car, generally speaking. I'd say the splitting is now about as bad as it's going to get...I've put about 6k on the car since I bought it.

I believe I would worry about sitting too much on that Plymouth seat cover. But that's me, and I'm weird.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

27 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

I see the door panel has plastic covering it, too. Coming away at the lower front corner.

If you look closely, it appears the clear cover is only for the very lower portion of the door panel.

The part where your shoes are most likely to damage the door panel.

3 hours ago, Harold said:

Looks like the seller hosed it down before taking the pictures.  Gilding the lily, I suppose....

This always give me pause when I see a car for sale that's still wet from a wash...

And then there was the time I saw a vintage motorcycle for sale with a hot glue gun on the ground in the lower right corner of the photo... 

1 hour ago, zepher said:

If you look closely, it appears the clear cover is only for the very lower portion of the door panel.

The part where your shoes are most likely to damage the door panel.

I see that. I also see that the plastic is pulling away from the front of the door panel. THAT is what I was talking about.

door panel.jpg

• Like 1