Lincoln

wcpaxton

As you've probably seen, the convertible versions

are much more common than the sedans.  It's a 

reversal of the quantities from the 1960's, when

sedans outnumbered convertibles 10 to 1.  

So many people have cherished and restored the

glamorous convertibles and overlooked the equally

good-looking sedans.

• Like 1

On my short list as well.  Someone listed a 63 not too long ago in CA but the ad was a bit odd.  63 still has short wheelbase but I like the 61, 62s as well.  Cool, but a little complicated esp. Convertibles.

They come up.  May I suggest a Facebook page called Suicideslabs  or Suicide Slabs.  By the way, a comon theme on the webpage is vapor lock, fuel pumps, carbs, window switches, and "the car is now being loaded onto a flatbed" (aka the cars tended to be pretty much state of the art for the time and their complicated nature has not changed).   Keep in mind that they are a cult car and even more so in the "Western States," so while you can get one reasonable priced still you may at times find you have strong competition. 

Yep there are a couple of fb groups for them, unfortunately the chop & drop crowd has discovered them as well.  Always interesting to see these young guys ignore pony, muscle cars of that era and modify the luxury cars, obviously some represent tens of thousands invested.

We had a 63 convertible for a few years in the 80s. There was a shop in RI which was the only place that could make the top work correctly. Very complicated. Nice car to drive and would go 80 mph all day long. Drive it from Mass to Hershey one year.

How about this one? 85,000 original miles very clean inside & out. Been thinking about selling but not going to give it away. It's a 1963 Lincoln with 1964 rocker moldings on the bottom of front fenders and the bottom of rear quarter panels. 1965 chrome bezel for rear tail lights. All window switches redone to work as they should. Let me know if you might be interested. Thanks, Ruben

IMG_0545.PNG

IMG_0546.PNG

IMG_1356.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_2370.PNG

12 minutes ago, Harold said:

We had a '63 Continental bought at the NYC Police Auction in 1971.  It was, shall we say, not the most reliable of vehicles.  I used to carry cold water with some rags to cool the fuel pump when it vapor locked.

Thanks that should help anymore great story's to share.

On 3/26/2019 at 7:12 PM, old car fan said:

John if it's right,not a problem.just like any car.A car is not done till the bugs are out

My grandparents had them new - they were Lincoln-Mercury people and I saw the later ones (gorgeous cars), but dad said it was easier to get a new one every other year than it was to deal with them (and said the punch list off the delivery trailer was a good half a page).   Dad said, you never gave that stuff much thought as he was an Oldsmobile guy and Austin Healey guy and the punch list off the trailer was a whole page. 

I guess I don't get how the PM thing helps a seller, at some point early on in an inquiry it has to come up. The 63 is not a $5,000 car, but its not a $50,000 car either, as a seller why turn off your potential buyers?  Either number wastes someone's time so why not eliminate that from the get go?  I am just curious on the thought behind that approach.

No I'm not looking to buy your car today.   The question is why make a car difficult to buy.  It's not the only one on the planet and everyone's time is valuable so we don't want to waste it when necessary.  Besides if I saw a car like this with a price,  it goes in my mental rolodex.  

I run into alot of people looking for cars.  I can tell them about it if it's something they mention an interest in.  

I have helped out or tried to help out many forum members find cars, but there is no sense running something by someone if you know they have a certain budget and the car you present is well out of their budget.  

I'm so sick of the ask me my price and if you are lucky I might grace you with the honor of it when looking at cars.

I have a few cars/ trucks  in my stable right now.

Some I'm getting ready to sell,  some I don't want to, but you know what here are the prices.  They reflect how hard I want to sell them.

40 Ford coupe $30,000

36 Cord Phaeton $65,000

47 Hudson Big Boy $25,000. atleast

56 Olds 2 door hardtop I bought in Highschool $20,000

original 32 Ford drag car in original paint $100,000

Rough model A tudor cut into a ranchero $1500

There see no mystery and some of these aren't even really for sale. 

It's a price not the secret recipe to Colonel Sanders Chicken. 

If you are selling it you have one other wise you aren't actually going to sell it. 

I thought there was just one answer to the hidden price issue: "If you have to ask you can't afford it."

Standard answer.

image.png.abd5fdf1228c5da8cfbce7de232c5a71.png

Recipes: Standard secret ingredient , oregano.

The only thing that changes is the date.

36 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I thought there was just one answer to the hidden price issue: "If you have to ask you can't afford it."

The only conundrum in that answer is that a lot of people who can afford to buy out you and your whole neighborhood, house land and owner's association in total, STILL want to know the price before thinking about buying a car.

All the silly games of "gee, call me if you're REALLY interested" are lost on the guys with big bucks.  They have money and they have not the patience for that....

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, trimacar said:

...a lot of people who can afford to... STILL want to know the price before thinking about buying a car.

You're absolutely right, David.

I once told a man I know about a car for sale.

I know for a fact that he had an 8-figure salary

(well over $10,000,000 a year).  His very first question

about the car was, "What's he asking for it?"  !

• Thanks 1

One thing with today's "connected" world.  Don't string a potential buyer along too long.  A little time on line and they will likely find other examples for sale and go with someone that is easier to buy from,  unless you are talking an extremely unusual car with few examples left.   I think there are probably still alot of these out there,  it might just take a little bush shaking to turn them loose. 

Agree FWIW, and you clearly have a lot of knowledge calling out where later trim is used.  I like these cars enough to follow them and high teens seems like what gets a decent sedan.  At 20 I would want exceptional but based on the pix that car could well be exceptional.  Well worth a couple grand for the jump in condition.  Subjective but I think you have the best color for these as the white really compliments those lines.  I might be conflicted as well.  Back and forth on one of ours but this month its a keeper.  😊

Sometimes I look at cars listed with no price, but not often. However, I never look at cars listed with 1$, 2$, 3$ as some multiple of 10.

On the Lincoln cars in general, I was exposed to the car business in the early 1960's. In the city near me there were social orders where the type of car a "member" owned showed their status in the group. Lincolns were allowed to those of a lower rank, with Cadillacs for the upper league. That experience always left me with less interest in the Lincoln cars.

A few years ago I bought a '48 Continental parts cars that I dismantled and, in the process, took a renewed interest in the make. I almost bought one for myself and kind of regret not buying it. I may pull the trigger on one, still. Funny I used that term, I guess I could have a Cadillac.

Bernie

This is my 62 that I just finished last fall.  I bought it in 2009 for $2300 and a 69 TBird in trade, probably around a $2500 car.  The Lincoln needed a trunklid and I converted a sedan decklid to fit all the convertible specific parts.  There’s no doubt they are complicated.  I painted it myself, very challenging to do a metallic finish because I didn’t want any panel transitions not blending so it all had to be done at once.  Meant a lot of tricky masking to have the top in a partially retracted position to facilitate spraying the panel that the top sits on when top is full up.

0BF1AE5E-2ADC-4F07-B4CC-4BFA86F9F938.jpeg

2F6A5EDF-64BF-4054-ABD8-CC28931BC6AA.jpeg

• Like 4