Oil Pressure and engine Temp lights - enlighten the unenlightened

moran75

Hi all

Re. my 1965 Riv and it’s simple warning light system for oil pressure /engine temp issues...

Not that im qualified to bring in question the design team back in the day but it doesn’t seem to provide much of an early warning system - if it one of the lights comes on then yr left high and dry?!

so does anyone know what the thinking was behind it? Must be something that made it better than a traditional gauge - or was it just to provide a modern ‘look’ to the dash?

Or maybe when they come on you have a little time to get home/ to a garage ?...

thanks in advance

kev

Edited by moran75 (see edit history)

When they come on, you are supposed to pull over and shut off the engine. I have found that

most people never look at their gauges.....this is why an idiot light will save the engine when a gauge won't.

they are called idiot lights because most drivers are idiots when it comes to taking care of their car or monitoring

what their engine is doing.

The cooling system and the lubrication system are far more reliable than the gauges. When you do the routine maintenance the lights won't come on. The array of gauges in the 1950's cars, along with rocket trim and stylized airplanes were just added so guys could imagine they were WWII fighter pilots.

Do a test, stop at your auto parts counter and ask the man for an oil pressure gauge. He will ask you which one, from a display on the wall. Then ask him for an oil pump that fits your car. "Well, I That should take about three days to get in." Same goes for temperature gauges, but 20 year old hoses are easier to replace than an oil pump.

Rolls-Royce cars come with gauges and lights in the modern versions. If you are driving on the expressway and the light comes on it will cost about $5,000 if you immediately pull to the shoulder and stop. If you wait and get off at the next exit you might get lucky and only cost $25,000.

Every Saturday my Dad used to check the fluids and lights on his car. When I think about that a light goes on.

Bernie

2 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

When they come on, you are supposed to pull over and shut off the engine. I have found that

most people never look at their gauges.....this is why an idiot light will save the engine when a gauge won't.

they are called idiot lights because most drivers are idiots when it comes to taking care of their car or monitoring

what their engine is doing.

Sure, pull over when/ if lights come on....but with a gauge at least you have the chance to see a problem on the horizon and avoid being stuck on motorway?

Unless you scan your gauges ever 30 seconds, the light will warn you quicker in most cases. For most people, a gauge is useless unless

the car has  a warning light also because they never look at their gauges for the most part. I'm in the car repair business and I am constantly asking

people if they monitor their temperature and oil pressure. 99 per cent of people tell me they NEVER look at these gauges.Only 1 in a 100 customers can

tell me how many liters their engine is......the majority don't even know if it's a v-8, a six or a four cylinder. Over half of people in my experience won't even look at their

gauges if smoke is pouring out from under the hood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

Unless you scan your gauges ever 30 seconds, the light will warn you quicker in most cases. For most people, a gauge is useless unless

the car has  a warning light also because they never look at their gauges for the most part. I'm in the car repair business and I am constantly asking

people if they monitor their temperature and oil pressure. 99 per cent of people tell me they NEVER look at these gauges.Only 1 in a 100 customers can

tell me how many liters their engine is......the majority don't even know if it's a v-8, a six or a four cylinder. Over half of people in my experience won't even look at their

gauges if smoke is pouring out from under the hood.

Aha, that  make's sense now - i guess then the designers were ahead of their time in a way, thinking of new ways to grab peoples attn!..

Think about a professional Pro-Stock drag racer.  Does he take his eyes off the track to watch his tachometer,? Or the Grand Prix driver. Does he take his eyes off the track to watch his tach to know when to shift?  Those cars are equipped with shift lights.  Same concept as an "idiot" light. A quick flash of a light in their peripheral vision and they know what to do.  When you see the light on your instrument panel flash or come on, you should know what to do as well.   At 70 mph you're covering 102 feet per second.  How long does it take a deer to jump in front of your car.  If you're watching your gauges, you'll have Buck in your grill instead of Buick.  I just got back from a 960 mile trip down to and into the Boston and Ouachita mountains in Arkansas.  Lots of dead deer on the sides of the roads and many more just lurking on the sides of the road.  Especially around dusk when it's hardest to see and they're most hungry. 

Lights are OK -- IF they are working.  Check by ensuring that the OIL light comes on when the ignition key is turned to the ON position (on the way to START).  The TEMP light usually is designed to illuminate while cranking.  ;)

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)

I like the green "cold" light, lets one know that the engine does not need to be pushed, as it is still cold and maybe even the choke is partially on making the mixture way too rich for normal driving. Too many old engines wore out prematurely from automatic choke partial failures, or not knowing how to use a manual choke on those cars (not Rivs!)

On 3/18/2019 at 4:14 PM, kegart said:

Well said Winston. I added oil pressure and water temp gauges and made sure the lights still work.

Kev, I like how you installed your gauges. I never fault a man for being safe and accurate.

These old cars have to be maintained to the fullest. Whatever a person needs to protect and monitor his vehicle’s performance is alright by me.

Turbinator

On 3/18/2019 at 9:01 PM, RivNut said:

When you see the light on your instrument panel flash or come on, you should know what to do as well.

I think oil pressure and engine temp lights tell you what you didn't do.

• 4 weeks later...

Well said Winston. I added oil pressure and water temp gauges and made sure the lights still work.

Kegart, nicely installed as well. Wise use of space. 

Turbinator

Gary

On 3/24/2019 at 1:05 PM, 60FlatTop said:

I think oil pressure and engine temp lights tell you what you didn't do.

Bernie, so true. I believe we would be more attentive to our collector car. I am really a bit sensitive over keeping the oil changed and oil level kept on full. Radiator, transmission and power steering fluids I like to keep after as well. The first generation Riv’s are getting some age on them and they need appropriate attention.

Turbinator