1929 Packard roadster

A good friend is selling one of his cars, a 6-40 Packard supper 8, as his age is reason for sale.  Car  has been  judged 99 points at the Gilmore CCCA Experience 4 years ago and has been driven very little since. Send me an email and I will give you his contact info. I am only posting it for him as Ralph is not computer literate. Asking $150,000. and in Toronto

2015-08-22 gords camera  for agm 004.JPG

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, motoringicons said:

I have seen this car at a few Michigan Region CCCA events. It is a great car.  I really like the low belt line of this model.

I believe he has been a Michigan regional member and still is from the late 50s.

Here is a better picture I took of it at the Gilmore  in 2015.

2015-06-05 2015-06-06 001 228.JPG

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Your friend's 6-40 Super 8 is a magnificent car-

and unfortunately well beyond my current means.

Here are some NADA CLASSIC estimated values:

1929 Packard 6-40 Custom Prices and Values

2 Door Runabout 4 Passenger

Values

Original
MSRP
Low
Retail
Average
Retail
High
Retail
Base Price
$3,175
$76,300
$146,200
$260,900

Total Price
$3,175
$76,300
$146,200
$260,900

6 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Your friend's 6-40 Super 8 is a magnificent car-

and unfortunately well beyond my current means.

Here are some NADA CLASSIC estimated values:

1929 Packard 6-40 Custom Prices and Values

2 Door Runabout 4 Passenger

Values

Original
MSRP
Low
Retail
Average
Retail
High
Retail
Base Price
$3,175
$76,300
$146,200
$260,900

Total Price
$3,175
$76,300
$146,200
$260,900

Wow. Sell it to the book.

Well when you see the pictures of the touring you will understand better. 

While you could have alot of fun with it as is or maybe atleast a coat of primer over it all as it looks like bare metal is showing,  it needs alot of money to make it anywhere near as nice as the roadster.  Plus I believe the roadster is more desirable.  If I had the 26G I would have bought it if it ran OK.  Did exactly what I mentioned and rove it alot. 

image.jpeg

image0d03eefecdddd8d9eb332d5a0839a7dc-807768.jpg

24844791-1-11.jpg

• Like 1

I was pointing out to a friend that the sale of the unrestored touring just shows that values of project cars are falling.

he said no, it just shows that, on that particular day at that particular auction, there was no one who really wanted the car, and it's not an indication of anything.

Car looks mobile, if it was running and driving it was a heck of a buy.  

As to the value of the roadster, the owner surely has a dollar figure in mind, he'd be well served to let you post it.

• Like 2

I find it interesting that that they put new tires on that touring (I think whitewalls were a big mistake in this case). But then they decided not to clean them up very well. What was the goal? To make the new tires look as neglected as the rest of the car even though they were obviously new? I think it suggests that whomever owned it was completely indifferent to it and just did the bare minimum they had to in order to dump it. Not a car I'd be eager to own.

Little stuff like that, which is completely meaningless on the surface (who cares if the whitewalls are still blue?), is what kills values and makes bidders very skittish. Big stuff is manageable (like the paint) and doesn't scare buyers on a car like that, but little stuff being buggered suggests a long list of small issues that will be expensive and maddening to repair. Everyone knows paint will be $25,000, but the little stuff? Who knows how expensive and whether it can even be addressed without a full restoration?

That's partially why this car fell on its face.

How the hell does at least the auction company not understand that presentation matters? Even if YOU don't care about something like blue crap on whitewalls when it's your car, the buyers are looking for a reason to bail out--why give it to them so easily?

• Like 2

Well Matt and others. Cars like the auction touring keep the dream of 20's Packard ownership alive for many of us. Lottery win budget cars have become so far from reality for some of us that I personally don't even look at them anymore. Even at shows I only briefly glance at them and move on to cars there is perhaps a remote possibility that I could someday own. 

I know as a dealer your priority is getting the best price possible. Out of necessity many of us are focused on the exact opposite, getting an open late 20's Packard as cheaply as possible.

Otherwise we are just balding old guys drooling over supermodels.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

I find it interesting that that they put new tires on that touring (I think whitewalls were a big mistake in this case). But then they decided not to clean them up very well. What was the goal? To make the new tires look as neglected as the rest of the car even though they were obviously new? I think it suggests that whomever owned it was completely indifferent to it and just did the bare minimum they had to in order to dump it. Not a car I'd be eager to own.

Little stuff like that, which is completely meaningless on the surface (who cares if the whitewalls are still blue?), is what kills values and makes bidders very skittish. Big stuff is manageable (like the paint) and doesn't scare buyers on a car like that, but little stuff being buggered suggests a long list of small issues that will be expensive and maddening to repair. Everyone knows paint will be $25,000, but the little stuff? Who knows how expensive and whether it can even be addressed without a full restoration?

That's partially why this car fell on its face.

How the hell does at least the auction company not understand that presentation matters? Even if YOU don't care about something like blue crap on whitewalls when it's your car, the buyers are looking for a reason to bail out--why give it to them so easily?

The white walls were indeed scrubbed and looked very clean and crisp when paired with the freshly painted black disc wheels- I actually thought it was a pretty clever trick on the part of the consignor.

I will say though stained a bit the top looks pretty good for a driver / beater.   I would have had a hard time passing on it if I was in the market at that auction that day.   The interior looked very usable.  I guess it's what your end goal is.  A beater you have 30 G in or a restored car to show.  From the looks of the pics.  it needs everything but those tires to be restored.  Though looks mostly roadworthy as is,  but as Matt mentioned could have gremlins.  There is alot of dampness issues I can see in the pictures.  Stuff doesn't rust as much as I see unless it was in a damp basement or garage/ barn.   That also leads to creep rot that you don't find until you start blasting away. 

Here is a link to the photos

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25219/lot/226/

Interesting. I thought the price on the Touring was relatively strong, considering that a 1929 645 dual-cowl in about the same condition just sold for about $40.

bet that car could be parted for more then its sale price. A model A Ford goes for 25k..

On 3/9/2019 at 4:49 PM, mercer09 said:

Interesting. I thought the price on the Touring was relatively strong, considering that a 1929 645 dual-cowl in about the same condition just sold for about $40.

bet that car could be parted for more then its sale price. A model A Ford goes for 25k..

Perhaps, but I wouldn't take the risk because the time and work involved wouldn't make it worth it.

I was going though my archives and found these photos of the Packard roadster that started this subject. Sorry to have digressed. It's really a great-looking car!

GC1.thumb.jpg.5c712d20a4aa2d93d73589dd825b5340.jpgGC1.thumb.jpg.5c712d20a4aa2d93d73589dd825b5340.jpg

965095403_OhioGrandClassic2016-007.thumb.JPG.f01c3e779053e3cd6fadf77b42aa902e.JPG

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...