Reatta Forum Moderator

Ronnie

For a little over a year I've had the opportunity to be the moderator here on the Reatta forum.   I'm not resigning - but I thought the coming of the new year might be a good time to give someone else the opportunity to be the moderator if they want to do it.  

When I took on the moderator job it was my goal to make the Reatta forum a better place by doing things that would make people want to be more active here on the Reatta forum.   I made a lot of posts about things I did with my Reatta and posted photos (probably bored everyone :)) and helped out other forum members as much as I could.  I closed down my ROJ Reatta forum and encouraged members there to come here.  At first what I was doing seemed to work but to be honest, I feel I have failed.  The number of members here on the forum has dwindled a lot since I have been the moderator.  I have actually lost some friends here on the forum because they didn't agree with my actions as the forum moderator.   I was warned of that happening by other forum moderators when I started.  You can't please everyone...

If anyone would like to be the moderator of the Reatta forum, or you would like to recommend someone for the job, you can send me a private message or you can message @MrEarl and I won't need to know about it.  I will be more than happy to step aside if someone wants to give it a shot and I'm willing to help you any way I can.

• Thanks 1

Ronnie,

I think you are doing a great job and hopefully you will continue. Volume of posters is down on all the AACA forums not just ours. I guess there are fewer Reattas being driven as daily drivers hence fewer repairs. I do wish that some of the people looking for help would hang around and post about topical items like we used to do/have years ago but those days are now past. 

I really don't understand how anyone can take offense for what you as a moderator [and same for the other moderators] do. Someone needs to remind us of the rules and clean up posts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

A thankless job for sure. No sense beating yourself up as it is a complete unknown as to why participants come and go, and I agree with Dave that it is a general trend, plus winter is non primetime for most of our cars. Personality clashes occur, many times for no apparent reason, and are somewhat inevitable, so what is, is. I am sure it was quoted from somewhere else, but my father told me about apologies: You don't need to with your friends and your enemies won't believe you anyway. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ronnie,

Let me add my name to those who think you are doing a great job and appreciate all your efforts to help the Forum exist.  Every organization needs someone to keep it on the straight and narrow.  I'm sorry if some have taken exception to what is your job.  You've always seem to be fair and polite and we can't ask for more.

RONNIE IN 2019!    😄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I didn't intend for my post to come across as me saying I'm quitting.  I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm willing to step aside if anyone wants to try your hand at being a moderator.   This forum is a great group of people that have helped me a lot in the past. Thanks guys. 

• Like 1

I think Dave said it correctly, there are simply less Reattas being driven on a daily basis so the need to be on the forum are less.  it really has nothing to do with who is posting what. Ronnie from what I have seen it is not an issue you have caused. As my college son says  IT IS WHAT IT IS. If you enjoy what you are doing keep going

Chuck

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ronnie.  You are doing a great job.  I have been on a few auto related forums over the years and feel this is one of the best out there.  There seems to be very little selfishness, envy or bickering.  Politics and religion don't seem to be discussed and I rarely come upon a troll.

One of my friends was a moderator on the Corvette Forum and said he felt it was like being a hall monitor.  Keep up the good work.

poster.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This is a great forum - the best one I've been on.  99% of the people on this forum give no problems at all.  The other 1%  who complain about something I do usually refer to this forum as it being my forum even though clearly it is not.  Because of that I thought I should ask if anyone would want to be the moderator and I felt the start of a new year would be a good time to do it.  I've had no problems with anyone that caused me to start this topic.  I'm here to help anyone I can and that applies to the 1% who don't always agree with how I moderate the forum.   Thanks for allowing me to be your forum moderator. 

• Like 3

I think you’re doing a great job. I’ve only owned my Reatta for a few months, but I really enjoy the interaction and great answers on this forum. I run into a few bugs with my car and will be looking for help from this group. Thanks to everyone that contributes.

karl

07693B45-F01E-46CE-B089-003B14BDA787.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I look (lurk) at this site every day. Sometimes if I see something where I can help I log in and type my reply. I know that I have used this site and the ROJ many times when I was working to try to get my '88 Reatta functioning properly and make it roadworthy here in Massachusetts. My car functions very well and does not require much work to keep it "up to snuff". It is currently put away for winter storage waiting for me to pull it back out in the spring. Then I'll be detailing it every week and driving to local car shows at least once a week. I have found that if I drive it more frequently it "behaves" much better. As in; all the buttons and switches seem to work better. The car also seems to run better the more I use it.

I am currently VERY involved in another "project" car and don't work on the Reatta unless it becomes an absolute necessity. Ronnie, you and others have helped me greatly when I have hit a point where I was a little stumped with something. I have the manuals and ability to fix most anything on the car but coming here has saved me a bundle of time when I was starting any repairs.

I personally think you have done a fine job as moderator for this forum and also on the ROJ.

FYI - I have mentioned that my wife keeps asking me to let the Reatta go. She has suggested donating it to get a tax write off. I told her I will not donate it because I would rather it go to a good home (for use as a driver or for parts). I'm pretty sure the car now needs the AC compressor replaced. I am on the fence about fixing it or selling it for less (probably $1,000) and a new owner can either fix it (and have a very good driver) or use it for parts. The reason is because I would rather spend my time and money on my "project" car.

Edited by fordrodsteven (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, fordrodsteven said:

I personally think you have done a fine job as moderator for this forum and also on the ROJ.

Thanks Steve. You have stuck with your Reatta through a lot of problems. Most people would have given up on it. I hope you keep it. You have a lot of hands on experience to offer the forum and me if I need it.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Ronnie,

I think you are doing a great job and hopefully you will continue. Volume of posters is down on all the AACA forums not just ours. I guess there are fewer Reattas being driven as daily drivers hence fewer repairs. I do wish that some of the people looking for help would hang around and post about topical items like we used to do/have years ago but those days are now past. 

I really don't understand how anyone can take offense for what you as a moderator [and same for the other moderators] do. Someone needs to remind us of the rules and clean up posts.

Thanks Dave. Without your help and encouragement over the years I probably wouldn't still have my Reatta.

This forum along with your site are definitely the reasons I know as much as I do about the Reatta, and have no worries about figuring out how to fix things in it. This is a hell of a lot more active and helpful than a forum I’m in For my Lesabre. I try to chime in with questions I have that may stir up some conversation. Being a younger and newer owner of a reatta I hope this great source stays around for a while. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Ronnie for your help and everyone else. Coming from ROJ originally I can honestly say you have done a fabulous job there and as a modulator here. I personally wouldn't like to moderate a forum like you said you can't please everyone. If no one else takes the opportunity I am sure you will continue to do your best - kudos to you!

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Kevin M said:

I try to chime in with questions I have that may stir up some conversation. Being a younger and newer owner of a reatta I hope this great source stays around for a while.

It's good to know that we have some young people here on the forum.   By all means jump in anytime you have a question. As far as I'm concerned the only bad question is the one not asked.

Thanks for that Ronnie. I know of two other people about my age with a reatta. I figure there may be some more scattered around. I try to talk to other probably my age when I go to shows. But it is sort of nice having a car nobody else does. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:32 AM, Ronnie said:

Thanks Steve. You have stuck with your Reatta through a lot of problems. Most people would have given up on it. I hope you keep it. You have a lot of hands on experience to offer the forum and me if I need it.

Thank You Ron. I never felt that the problems I had with the car were really significant for a 30 year old car. I have worked on many cars that were in worse shape with only half of the age on them. Even though my Reatta was somewhat neglected before I got it, the car has stood the test of time very well. It's just that I have that 64 year old car that I've owned (and not driven) for 44 years that I would like to build the way I want so I can enjoy it to the fullest. I have no intention of abandoning the Reatta guys. You guys are the best!

It comes down to me trying to keep up and upkeep four cars and not being able to drive all of them enough to keep them "exercised"!

• Like 1

Ronnie, you have not failed in any way, please don't feel that you have.  I have been a member here for many years.  I still visit, even though I've not owned a Reatta for about a decade.  As another member pointed out, fewer and fewer Reattas are being used for daily transportation and as such, the demand for the forum is not as great.  Hence, the membership/visit drop.  Ronnie, please understand that the reduction in visits has nothing to do with you.  There was a time I visited this forum everyday.  I benefited so much from the information I was able to attain here.  So many times members offered repair advice, so I was able to repair my Reatta myself.  No only did that save me money, but also provided personal satisfaction in doing a successful repair myself.  Over the years spent on the forum, with the knowledge I acquired, I was sometimes able to offer repair advice to my fellow Reatta owners.  It was a sad day when my Reatta had a major engine problem followed by someone running into it.  A fellow member purchased the car from me and there ended my 10 year ownership of a car that was my favorite and all the vehicles I've owned.  Over the years I thought I would purchase another one, but that never happened.  Frankly, I doubt I will ever own another.  But from time to time (such as today) I visit to see what's going on and each Thanksgiving I offer greetings.  On occasion, I might still be able to offer some help.  Today, Ronnie I just want to tell you that you have not failed in anyway.  Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

I have been lurking and rather inactive here for some time. I would hate to see Ronnie step down and i have always really loved this forum. I was, and still am, the moderator of the Hurst/Olds forum, a very thankless job. Please, carry on and keep the Reatta torch lit and held high. This forum is responsible for many Reatta's that would have been abandoned- that would be a shame.

• Like 3

I'd like to add my voice to those in support of Ronnie.  My Reattas have been gone for several years but I still lurk here daily just to see if I can impart some wisdom where needed.  They are great cars and having this forum to keep them on the road is wonderful. Ronnie, you are doing a great job as moderator and I support you 100%.

Greg

Ron , having run a bbs in the good old days I can guarenree that you will always have 1% total jerks.  As part of the other 99% I respect and appreciate what you have brought to the table. I think you have lost a few to the FB page , but I refer people to here , and roj all the time. Keep up the great work.

• Thanks 1