How buttercup got her groove back

NC-car-guy

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 6:36 PM, NC-car-guy said:

New tires on...  No yammerin' about white wall vs black wall.  I have some old but not cracked or hardened NOS bias-ply white walls that I'll put on a second set of rims for an archival appearance.

20200505_191123.jpg

I think blackwalls actually look good on this car!  The solid color, small caps go well with them. 

• Like 2

Took her for a spin tonight.  Still only getting reverse after shes hot.   Made it to the store fine, then the radiator puked.  A little bit so I thought it was just "self-leveling" then on the way home she suddenly pegged full hot.  I pulled over and shes still there.  Going to try to get her later.  It's definitely time.  I've been able to walk past the car for weeks on end and not be bothered that im not driving it.  The attachment isn't there.  In a couple more weeks the title should be in ( no titles in GA and NC takes forever).  Shes had a lot of work done and is still under 14k miles.   Who wants to make me a decent offer so I can reduce my stress and.move on with life?

7 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Could this just be a thermostat issue? 

Dont know. Its got a 180 in it i think.  I just ordered another thermostat, 165 degree.  Sock filter is still working. We'll see.  Last chance.

20200511_063418.jpg

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Do you have antifreeze coolant or just water in it? If plain water it may pay to flush the block at the block drain cocks whenever cleaning that filter. 

There was antifreeze in it

Well I think it still pays to flush it now and then use water for future flushing. I say this because the debris shown in your picture looks like a fine silt and not chunks of solid materials. And I don't think any filter will capture all of that silt.  Chances are if it is silt the bottom of the radiator could use a rinse too.  A garden hose flush while in place would work for that. 

Just now, avgwarhawk said:

American Standard is a toilet.  Keeps on flushing until the bowl is clear.   Do the same to your block.  

Oh.    I flush the thing with a pressure washer until it ran clear when it was out of the car I guess it needs more flushing and I guess somebody else needs to do it.   I just don't understand I have dragged more old junk out of the woods and driven it.  This car and I are not a good match. 

So.  Came home, took the thermostat out put her back together with no thermostat and clean filter.

20200511_173325.thumb.jpg.e59965a44c4663fbfd8d4e2817272bd4.jpg20200511_174429.thumb.jpg.9b6edcc2b535ececdbf0c39824a7d6da.jpg

thermostat seems fine when boiling it on the stove, maybe a little slow to open? Hard to tell.  Anyhow running her on water and flush solution only, cap loose for 20 minutes... 

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Not sure why the video shows as double.  Anyhow.  I tightened the cap and ran it another 15 minutes... Still normal.   I'll change the filter and water tomorrow after work and repeat then process.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:
On 5/10/2020 at 6:20 PM, NC-car-guy said:

Who wants to make me a decent offer so I can reduce my stress and.move on with life?

I just don't understand I have dragged more old junk out of the woods and driven it.  This car and I are not a good match. 

I've had a couple cats that were turned away by many others and turned out to be great cats after a little patience.  I think I could get along with Buttercup.  If I only had room for another stray I'd love to make an offer!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lancemb said:

I've had a couple cats that were turned away by many others and turned out to be great cats after a little patience.  I think I could get along with Buttercup.  If I only had room for another stray I'd love to make an offer!

I had to read this a surprising number of times at 5 am to decide if "cars" got autocorrected to "cats" ha ha ha

• Haha 5

I'm with John.

Throw 2 gallons of Evap-o Rust in her and drive around for about a week.

Lots of heat / cool cycles.

Then fill her up with 50/ 50 PRESTONE AND DISTILLED WATER.

Worked wonders for my '40 Buick, and now overheating is a thing of the past.

Mike in Colorado

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NC-car-guy said:

Should've hot tanked it instead of hose flushing when the engine was out.

Live and learn.  I read up on the Evapo Rust.  Seems to be quite good at rust removal. I'm interested in seeing it perform as advertised.