1st Gen Custom interior trim %

65VerdeGS

What percentage of each 1st Gen Riviera ('63-65) was built with the Custom Interior Trim option?

Is a breakdown available of the number or percentage produced each of the 3 years?

Further, are there numbers out there on how many of each Trim color combination produced?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2018 at 10:37 PM, 65VerdeGS said:

What percentage of each 1st Gen Riviera ('63-65) was built with the Custom Interior Trim option?

Is a breakdown available of the number or percentage produced each of the 3 years?

Further, are there numbers out there on how many of each Trim color combination produced?

Custom interior option? I have the leather seat option in my 63 Riv.,I do not think the leather option on the 63 is custom. Can you please give an example of what you mean by custom interior option?

Thank you,

Red Riviera Bob

The 1st generation Rivieras came with a standard and an optional custom interior.

Because you have a 63, I'll  explain the differences in the 63 first.

Standard interiors did not have the wood veneer inserts, had a small arm rest, and featured only one door handle. If equipped with powers seats, the switches were on the door panel.  Power  seat switches were on the side of the seat.

Custom interiors had the wood grain veneer, a full length armrest with door handles which could be reached from the rear seat.  Switches for the windows and seat were in an extension of the arm rest.

Here are pictures of the differences.

1963 /1964 standard door panel - small differences in the emblems

Image result for buick riviera door panel

1963/1964 custom door panel with manual windows:

Image result for 1963 buick riviera door panel

1963 / 1964 custom door panel with power windows and vents

(sorry, no emblem on wood)

Image result for 1963 buick riviera door panel

All 1963 consoles were black vinyl: 

Image result for 1963 buick riviera console

1964 standard console - black vinyl

1964 Buick Riviera

1964 custom console

1964-Buick-Riviera-4-1-800x490.jpg

1965 consoles - both standard and custom

1965 Buick Riviera - Photo 11 - Highlands Ranch, CO 80126

1965 standard door panel - notice the placement of the power window switches

Image result for 1965 buick riviera door panel

1965 Custom door panels are similar to the 63/64.  DIfferences are in emblems and the 65 has a black pin stripe on the veneer.

35b8305ea6_640.jpg

64 standard and custom seats have the same pattern and 1965 standard seats share this same pattern.  

1963 seats - notice that the panels in the seat go all the way to the top 

1963 BUICK RIVIERA - Interior - 213541

1964 standard and custom and 1965 standard seats - notice the full length panel above the smaller panels.

1964 BUICK RIVIERA 2 DOOR COUPE - Interior - 71083

1965 custom seat

97e464d07b_640.jpg

These back seats show the stitching pattern on the backs of the 65 custom seats

e243b4e608_640.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Custom interior option? I have the leather seat option in my 63 Riv.,I do not think the leather option on the 63 is custom. Can you please give an example of what you mean by custom interior option?

Thank you,

Red Riviera Bob

Besides what I showed above, in 1963 you had a choice of standard and custom interiors.  If you chose the custom interior option, you also had the option of choosing leather over the vinyl.

14 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Besides what I showed above, in 1963 you had a choice of standard and custom interiors.  If you chose the custom interior option, you also had the option of choosing leather over the vinyl.

Ed, it will take some more study for me to completely understand custom option. The photographs were great and fun to see how the interiors from the year to year differed. I like the leather option that was offered in 1963. My trim

tag indicated my 63 came with the leather option.

Thanks again for the photographs they were really helpful.

RRB

2 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Thank you,

Red Riviera Bob

I think Bob's confusion may be the use of the word "custom". I have always heard the non-standard interior referred to as the "deluxe interior". Whether this is right or wrong I don't know. I think custom may carry a little different connotation than deluxe. The 63 color -trim book doesn't really make any terminology designation when it shows the custom or deluxe interior. It just says " Standard Trim Not Shown". In the 1963 color-trim book it seems to show that the standard interior is the only interior that comes with all vinyl and that the custom or deluxe interior comes with the choice of cloth with vinyl trim  or leather with vinyl trim.

Bill

Edited by Riviera63
revise text (see edit history)

49 minutes ago, RivNut said:

If you'll look at the last entry on the window sticker for my '63, you'll see what Buick called "Custom Trim with Bucket Seats in Leather."  Not a bad deal for $188.

1561572601_1963Rivierawindowsticker0003.thumb.JPG.fbe9e0bed51bb57e50026ab450a06f7b.JPG

Custom it is. That is a great deal. What is that in 2018 dollars? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to customize again and make a few choices with the vehicles we buy today instead of other people deciding what we can and cannot have.

Bill

24 minutes ago, Riviera63 said:

Custom it is. That is a great deal. What is that in 2018 dollars? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to customize again and make a few choices with the vehicles we buy today instead of other people deciding what we can and cannot have.

Bill

On online calculating tool figures that the $5893.03 in 1963 would convert to $48,717.80 in 2018.  The one thing that I've noticed is that the price of air conditioning didn't change much over the years.  Now it's almost standard equipment on all cars so I have no idea how much of the price of a new car is for the a/c.

Why not a '63?  Dynaflow transmission, a complete set of bowden cables that operate the heater/ air conditiowwner switches located under the hood.  left hand threads on the driver's side of the car, no front speaker. And compared to the 65, there's no switch pitch transmission, no selector for 2nd gear, no tail lights in the bottom of the bumper where they're easily seen.  no hidden headlights that can get out of adjustment.  no vacuum controlled water temp valve. 

I'm just glad that I have one of each.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Why not a '63?  Dynaflow transmission, a complete set of bowden cables that operate the heater/ air conditiowwner switches located under the hood.  left hand threads on the driver's side of the car, no front speaker. And compared to the 65, there's no switch pitch transmission, no selector for 2nd gear, no tail lights in the bottom of the bumper where they're easily seen.  no hidden headlights that can get out of adjustment.  no vacuum controlled water temp valve. 

I'm just glad that I have one of each.

IMHO, the 64 beats the 63 because of the 425 2x4, transmission, and interior layout.  It beats the 65 because of the headlights, taillights, interior knob design, dash treatment, and upholstery pattern.

64 upholstery pattern is the same as the 65 standard interior.  ? The KX option is too rare to be considered. The transmission is a one year only deal.  Headlights, tail lights, and knobs are repeats from '63.  No leather available as an option.  Owning a '64 is kind of like being the middle child.   ? 

Now I'd appreciate it if all you middle children and owners of '64's don't start jumping all over me.  It's all in fun.   My '64 will probably be the most fun car to drive when I'm finished with it.  It has all my tweaks in it.

Ed 

• Like 1

When I was shopping for mine, I was set on a 64. I didn't want the 63's Dynoflush, even though it's a good transmission. I wanted the stronger ST/TH400, so it would feel faster and snap at the stoplights. I never liked the 65's rearend, simply because they broke the front to rear balance by having it up higher than previously. I don't care much for the 65's blackout dash and gauges, although it can be changed. I do like the 63's "B U I C K" letters across the trunklid.

Long story short, I wouldn't kick any of them out of my driveway, but the 64 was the sweet spot in design and performance IMO.

On 11/15/2018 at 7:06 PM, Riviera63 said:

I think Bob's confusion may be the use of the word "custom". I have always heard the non-standard interior referred to as the "deluxe interior". Whether this is right or wrong I don't know. I think custom may carry a little different connotation than deluxe. The 63 color -trim book doesn't really make any terminology designation when it shows the custom or deluxe interior. It just says " Standard Trim Not Shown". In the 1963 color-trim book it seems to show that the standard interior is the only interior that comes with all vinyl and that the custom or deluxe interior comes with the choice of cloth with vinyl trim  or leather with vinyl trim.

Bill

Bill, thank you for the comments. English seems to be a language challenge for some Americans.. Seems many Americans write, but do not communicate well. Present company is of course excluded. My comments regarding English is how Buick describes their products. 

The explanation, photos, and invoice copy clarify how Buick defines custom.

Many thanks, 

RRB

6 hours ago, lrlforfun said:

OK Riviera People:  Most aren't aware of this but.....the custom options for 64 and 65 feature a much thicker vinyl than the standard.  Mitch

Mitch, thanks for the input regarding the heavier grade vinyl that goes with the leather upholstery. Attention to detail is something I enjoy practicing. Items like you and others point out regarding the Riviera always amaze me.

RRB

• 2 months later...
On 11/15/2018 at 2:45 PM, RivNut said:

The 1st generation Rivieras came with a standard and an optional custom interior.

Because you have a 63, I'll  explain the differences in the 63 first.

Standard interiors did not have the wood veneer inserts, had a small arm rest, and featured only one door handle. If equipped with powers seats, the switches were on the door panel.  Power  seat switches were on the side of the seat.

Custom interiors had the wood grain veneer, a full length armrest with door handles which could be reached from the rear seat.  Switches for the windows and seat were in an extension of the arm rest.

My 1964 has the custom interior but all the wood has been removed.  I'm in the process of buying veneers.  My question is, was it possible to have wood inserts on the doors but not the center console?  I'm sure that would not have been an option but i want to make sure before i veneer it all.  I like the look of the black vinyl.

In 1964, the custom interior included the wood grain door panels, wood rear panels, wood grained console, full length arm rests with front and rear door paddles.  If the car had  power seats and power windows, the full length arm rest continued forward to house the power seat and power window switches.

The standard interior had black vinyl in the console and had a single paddle for a door handle and a short arm rest.  I don't know if it was the same in 64 as 65, but the kick panels on a standard interior were NOT carpeted.  

The code number on the data plate on the firewall will give you the interior code.  From what I've gathered, nothing substantiated, if the digit in the tens place is a 0 (zero) the interior is standard; if the digit in the tens place is a 2, the interior is custom.  All of the interior codes are listed on the ROA's website.

Let us know what you find.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, first64riv said:

My 1964 has the custom interior but all the wood has been removed.  I'm in the process of buying veneers.  My question is, was it possible to have wood inserts on the doors but not the center console?  I'm sure that would not have been an option but i want to make sure before i veneer it all.  I like the look of the black vinyl.

If the doors had it in 64, the console should have it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RivNut said:

In 1964, the custom interior included the wood grain door panels, wood rear panels, wood grained console, full length arm rests with front and rear door paddles.  If the car had  power seats and power windows, the full length arm rest continued forward to house the power seat and power window switches.

The standard interior had black vinyl in the console and had a single paddle for a door handle and a short arm rest.  I don't know if it was the same in 64 as 65, but the kick panels on a standard interior were NOT carpeted.  

The code number on the data plate on the firewall will give you the interior code.  From what I've gathered, nothing substantiated, if the digit in the tens place is a 0 (zero) the interior is standard; if the digit in the tens place is a 2, the interior is custom.  All of the interior codes are listed on the ROA's website.

Let us know what you find.

I definitely have the custom interior.  The door panel has the two open/close latches.  The power window switches are on the door.  If I remember correctly, my kick panels are carpeted.  I guess my center needs to be wood too then.

Any idea what the thickness of the OEM veneer is?  I may need to post that as a new question.

Thank you!

Chris

Hmmm.  If you have the custom interior, the power window switches should be on the arm rest extension.  The best thing for you to do, if you want to remain 100% true to the original build is to look for the TRIM CODE on your data plate.  Post it and we'll decipher if for you.

Ed

Chris,

A fellow by the name of Bob Scanlon who is an ROA member is doing beautiful veneers. His contact info is in The Riview and he is active on Ebay. Not sure what his Ebay user name is, maybe scanlonveneersinc, but his veneers are the correct walnut and grain matched, very, very nice.

Tom Mooney

• Thanks 1

Before anyone else gets the chance to tell me I'm wrong, I'll admit it.  My theory of 0's and 2's isn't true.

Here's what I copied and pasted from the website for the 1964 Riviera.

The codes with the * before the number are the Custom interiors.   The standard interiors have a 0 in the middle, the custom cloth and vinyl have a 1, and the custom vinyl has a 2 for the middle number.

A
  Regal Black

Blue Vinyl
C
  Arctic White

Silver Vinyl
D
  Silver Cloud

Fawn Vinyl
F
  Marlin Blue

Red Vinyl
H
  Wedgewood Blue

Black Vinyl
J
  Surf Green

Green Cloth & Vinyl
K
  Sunburst Yellow

Blue Cloth & Vinyl
L
  Claret Mist

Fawn Cloth & Vinyl
N
  Coral Mist

Blue Vinyl
P
  Teal Mist

White Vinyl
R
  Desert Beige

Black Vinyl
S
  Bronze Mist

Saddle Vinyl
T
  Tawny Mist

V
  Granada Red

W
  Diplomat Blue

15 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Hmmm.  If you have the custom interior, the power window switches should be on the arm rest extension.  The best thing for you to do, if you want to remain 100% true to the original build is to look for the TRIM CODE on your data plate.  Post it and we'll decipher if for you.

Ed

Ed, my car is 40 miles away and I won't be near it until Sunday.  The switches are definitely on the arm rest.  it's what i meant anyway.

Thanks for all the quick replies.

Chris

40 miles isn't too bad; mine are 60 miles away. Do your door panels have the chrome frame  for the veneer?  If not, you'll have to make up complete new door panels and  secure the frame somewhere.  The vinyl on the standard interior had a pattern on it; the custom panel just has plain vinyl.  All the bling is in the wood and the chrome frame that surrounds it.  Clark's Corvair sells a pre-punched, pre-cut board for new panels.

Good day.

I recently redid the veneer on my consoles, at least temporarily. It's actually pretty easy to do. I found a local shop that specialized in veneer applications, unfortunately, he didn't have any quarter sawn walnut at the time, but he did have some "scrap" walnut pieces. (scrap to him, but perfectly good veneer.) We found one piece with enough to probably do the entire interior twice that I got for CDN$20.. He said he'd call me if he comes across a need to get the quarter sawn walnut.

After making cardboard templates, etc. cutting the veneer was relatively easy. Sorry, I'm not sure what the thickness is, but I used Silhouette double sided adhesive paper, also cut to size. It's pretty sticky stuff and is thin for a two sided tape. And hopefully easy to remove later...

https://www.amazon.ca/Silhouettes-MEDIA-ADHESIVE-Silhouette-Double-Sided-Adhesive/dp/B008QHBL8Y

I haven't ventured to the door panels yet, the console is easy to take apart, and "practice" with including oils and stains, which I haven't decided yet. I've never removed door panels so If I'm gonna do it, I'd prefer to use the right wood, which again, I believe is quarter sawn walnut for the '64 Custom interior. 

Just googled and found this thread. I had the same concerns, my original wood looked a lot lighter than walnut, but this helps to explain it...

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/169229-walnut-trim-panels/

Anywho, for what it's worth,  the wood does match better than this photo, but photo attached...

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

64Riv Interior.jpg

• Like 1

IF you're not trying to go back to the original veneer, you might consider this.  I hav only the one picture on this computer to show you, it's a rear panel, but I have both doors, both rear interior panels. the glove box door (which is made the cover the glove box door and the dash all the way to the radio), all of the pieces for the console including the radio surround, and the pieces to go into the area where the a/c vents are for my '64.

1/4" quarter sawn walnut, stained, sealed, and top coated with two coats of automotive grade clear. 728559813_1964Rivierarealwalnutdoorpanels(2).thumb.JPG.f542ffebd1a6668080ade8c7775c7fa5.JPG

Here's a picture of the same on the passenger's door of the 63 of the gentleman who made them.  At the time of this photo, he had yet to do the glove box.  It's difficult to see but the console is finished as well. The console would have been black vinyl on a '63 but if you're straying from original ........

431462089_TimNeugentssolidwalnutdoortrim.jpg.0c1d54db17d61f2a429f996d75a72681.jpg

If anyone is interested, I have a full set of '63 wood like this for sale.  $600. (Labor and materials boils down to about $5.00 / hour)   Pictures to serious inquiries.  I have them wrapped and secured and don't just want to unwrap them.  I hope you'll understand.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

20 hours ago, RivNut said:

1/4" quarter sawn walnut,

Cool, that's thick 'veneer'...😊

I kinda like how the thickness looks on the door panels, and I like the wood on the dash pad below the glove box. I'm just not sure how the thickness wood "feel" on the console. It seems like it might add mass that doesn't need to be there. Still kinda cool tho'.

Rest assured, Ed, I'm not interested in buying these, but if "serious curiosity" equates to "serious inquiries" I'd love to see better pictures of how the console looks up close in-situ, if you have those pics.. If not (or whatever),  I do understand.

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

• 3 years later...
On 1/24/2019 at 7:31 PM, RivNut said:

IF you're not trying to go back to the original veneer, you might consider this.  I hav only the one picture on this computer to show you, it's a rear panel, but I have both doors, both rear interior panels. the glove box door (which is made the cover the glove box door and the dash all the way to the radio), all of the pieces for the console including the radio surround, and the pieces to go into the area where the a/c vents are for my '64.

1/4" quarter sawn walnut, stained, sealed, and top coated with two coats of automotive grade clear. 728559813_1964Rivierarealwalnutdoorpanels(2).thumb.JPG.f542ffebd1a6668080ade8c7775c7fa5.JPG

Here's a picture of the same on the passenger's door of the 63 of the gentleman who made them.  At the time of this photo, he had yet to do the glove box.  It's difficult to see but the console is finished as well. The console would have been black vinyl on a '63 but if you're straying from original ........

431462089_TimNeugentssolidwalnutdoortrim.jpg.0c1d54db17d61f2a429f996d75a72681.jpg

If anyone is interested, I have a full set of '63 wood like this for sale.  $600. (Labor and materials boils down to about $5.00 / hour)   Pictures to serious inquiries.  I have them wrapped and secured and don't just want to unwrap them.  I hope you'll understand.

Good afternoon.

The wood looks fantastic.

I would like to contact the supplier for my 1964 Riviera.

Do you have the contact info?

Thank you, 

Marty

I'm currently working on a CAD file for all the wood trims in the 1964 model, including dash and doors. 

I'm transcribing all my measurements to a CAD file because a local friend of mine can laser cut the mahogany veneer I bought with his CNC and laser cutter. 

If there's interest, I can provide the .dxf file once im finish. Basically send the file to your local engraver/cnc machinist with a laser cutter, and supply them with your veneer. It not very expensive, and provides accurate, repeatable results. 

I don’t need to contact Tim, he’s already responded.  I don’t know if the files for a CAD would work on these panels. They’re not veneer, they’re 5/16” think solid walnut.  The solid walnut is not covered by the trim piece, it sits inside it so all you need for the dimensions is to trace inside the trim.  Cut to size and edged with a router gives you the piece. Staining and top coating gives you the finish.