Suchion Cup marks and Haze on New Windshield

Mark Gregory

This is a new Toyota car question .

For the first time I purchased a brand new 2016 Toyota Highlander . Instead of a big three product which I have purchased over my life time .

The car mechanically is fantastic but since I purchased the car . There has been a haze on the the windshield like it has not been cleaned . Also the outline of suction cups from the manufacturing process .

I do not smoke or vape so I did not put any fumes into the car . The only thing I can think of is the heater core is leaking for the haze to appear ? Lacquer over spray from the factory ?

I had the cars paint sealed at the dealership . Maybe the the attendant had the windows down listening to the radio while he was spraying the car and it ended up on the windshield ?

When the car was new I had the dealership clean the windows but the marks and haze kept reappearing . I cleaned it with Windex and vinegar and water with no success .

Last time I was at the dealership for the 32,000 km checkup they took a very powerful cleaner to the windshield and the marks and haze still appear .

I got a little upset when I was told the windshield is only guaranteed for 20,000 km  I said you cannot clean the windshield and yet you want me to do it now .

I looked on the internet and these suction cup marks are common . But the haze ? ?  Thanks

Haze that reappears inside of the windshield is usually caused by the plastics in the dash “heating up” in the sun.

Not sure about the suction cup marks.  If you have this documented that they have tried to repair before, they should replace it free of charge because “they” attempted to fix it prior to the over 20,000 mile mark

Matt

• Like 1

The haze and suction cup marks on new cars are very common but they do usually clean up. 

Last year my aged Miata had some sort of water etching or environmental film on the outside of the windshield that would not clean off with normal glass cleaner.  I looked around for a stronger treatment and found this kit from Meguiars that worked great (could not find it in stores though, only online):

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G8800-Perfect-Clarity-Glass/dp/B06XDFRZ81/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1539272687&sr=8-7&keywords=meguiars+window+cleaner+kit

It was relatively low cost and provided enough for several treatments, I guess this is sort of their version of Rain X but it worked for me polishing up the glass, Todd C

Edited by poci1957 (see edit history)

TexRiv_63 excellent point about the windshield so I checked the information printed on the windshield .  It says  Toyota  262  Pilkington  43R - 001398     I assume it is a new from the factory windshield ? Thanks everyone for your input I will suggest them all to the dealership . 

Matt I checked my Purchase Papers from the dealership I bought the Luxury Protection for Paint Protection - Interior Protection - Rip Tear Burn - Electronic - Corrosion Module - Surface Rust 

I wonder when they sprayed the seats for Protection if they got it on the windshield ?

Thanks everyone 

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

My parents bought a brand new 1991 Toyota Corolla when I was a kid... We kept that car for over 10 years, and if there was condensation on the inside of that car you could always see the outline of the window sticker. I'm not saying we ever did anything special to try and get rid of it, but I remember thinking it was amazing that it was always there!

I don't want to alarm anyone with my radical thoughts here, but I've always just used 0000 steel wool with windex on the many used cars that I've bought and sold over the years. I guess that I used it countless times on the outside to clean up overspray and never saw any damage, so I started using it on the inside, as well. I suppose that you might try it in a less conspicuous spot first if your worried.

11 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I don't want to alarm anyone with my radical thoughts here, but I've always just used 0000 steel wool with windex on the many used cars that I've bought and sold over the years. I guess that I used it countless times on the outside to clean up overspray and never saw any damage, so I started using it on the inside, as well. I suppose that you might try it in a less conspicuous spot first if your worried.

Glass and steel are about the same hardness so it shouldn't do any harm

Never had a problem with off-gassing in the old days when the windows were open most of the time.  Now cars are closed/sealed up like our homes (lots of off-gassing there).

2 hours ago, tripwire said:

Hudsy Wudsy

I remember Babo, but I haven't seen it in any of the stores around here.  Bon Ami is available pretty much everywhere.

At my ripe old age I find it interesting how memories seem to often flow from associations with related words, things or concepts. Your mention of Bon Ami brought to mind Babo, a long forgotten product. I Googled it and was surprised to find that it's apparently still made and available on Amazon.

In 2004, I bought a low mileage red 1990 Nissan 300ZX, a great car, lots of style and power. Both the driver side and passenger side windows had some sort of residue apparently from a sticker of some sort, likely from factory. Tried everything but the shadow still showed up every time it rained. Was still there when I sold car last year!

On 10/11/2018 at 4:45 PM, Tinindian said:

Never had a problem with off-gassing in the old days when the windows were open most of the time.  Now cars are closed/sealed up like our homes (lots of off-gassing there).

I wonder what the inside of our lungs look like? Do you suppose they have the same haze as the windshield?

3 hours ago, kgreen said:

I wonder what the inside of our lungs look like? Do you suppose they have the same haze as the windshield?

As a fourty-two year funeral director, I can tell you, you really don't want to  see the inside of your lungs.