1911 - 1927 Locomobile 48 & 38 Gathering Place

alsfarms

Alright. Curiosity killed the cat, including me! I went to Uncle Google to check statistical comparisons with a similar vintage Locomobile, in this case a Model L four cylinder Locomobile. The Model L (30) has a square engine at 4..5 x 4.5 bore and stroke. The Locomobile is a 283 CID. Google said that the Peerless Model 27 is a 4 x 4.6 bore and stroke and suggested that the resulting displacement would be 410 CID. This is where I raised my hand and called "bull". Double check my CID calculation and verify my calculated CID of 231 for the Peerless Model 27. I calculate CID with this formula: PI x R square x 4.6 x 4= CID

I am interested to hear how you confirm my calculation or call bull on me for my calculation. The two Google sources I looked at are Concept Cars and Heritage Museum.

That Peerless is a beautiful automobile for sure.

Al

• 2 weeks later...

This one has come around for sale again or still?

I called about tomorrows estate sale an they said make an offer on this Locomobile.

It's not an auction?

When asked about condition they responded needs restoring and offered to send pictures in the morning.

I remembered seeing this car before here in the forum.

Cool car!

At what price is it worth buying?

Restoration is out of the question but waking it up ?

msuwabbit

I saw this in an estate sale notification and thought one of you may be interested.  The sale runs from 8 to 4 p.m. tomorrow.    The sale is located at 3021 W. Gallman Rd. Gallman, MS 39077.

By Owen Estate Sales LLC  601-850-3787 or 601-209-8206

They also have a 1955 Buick Special and a late 1970s International Scout Traveler that is in mint condition.  

https://www.estatesales.net/MS/Gallman/39077/3828540

I saw this in an estate sale notification and thought one of you may be interested.  The sale runs from 8 to 4 p.m. tomorrow.    The sale is located at 3021 W. Gallman Rd. Gallman, MS 39077.

By Owen Estate Sales LLC  601-850-3787 or 601-209-8206

They also have a 1955 Buick Special and a late 1970s International Scout Traveler that is in mint condition.  

https://www.estatesales.net/MS/Gallman/39077/3828540

Loco1.jpg

loco2.jpg

Loco3.jpg

Loco4.jpg

Loco5.jpg

Loco6.jpg

Loco7.jpg

Loco8.jpg

Yes John, nice car.  I've been looking for a Loco town car/ limo for years now.  I managed not to buy one as it seems that they always have some kind of problem.  In the mean time 

I have pictures of some and a collection of catalogs for the model 48. The first car posted here was for sale in the St Louis area if my memory is correct. I don't know where it went to but maybe someone here

knows.  I think it's a 48 made around 1927.  

FULL SIDE.jpg

LOCO BACK OF FRONT SEAT2.jpg

LOCO DASH 2.jpg

LOCO FRONT SEAT BASE.jpg

LOCO FRONT SEAT BASE.jpg

LOCO INSIDE ROOF.jpg

LOCO INSIDE SHADE.jpg

Edited December 2, 2019 by bubba (see edit history)

bubba

Very interesting Loco. I would like to know the history of the body / coachbuilder. This might be considered as heresy but when I look at it from the side, I see potential for a marvelous roadster pickup truck. Whatever its future holds, I hope it's story will unfold in this forum. Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Here we are nearly to November and closer to the end of the year 2023. What are the big Locomobile repair/restoration plans for the upcoming winter season.  I am looking to get all four fenders from the 48 straightened and ready for paint and Installation.

Al

For the Presidential Historians among us....

Can any of the other folks sitting around that huge camp table be identified? These few pictures are certainly historically of interest. Next, does anyone know if either the Locomobile, the trusted vehicle or the other vehicle.....kinds looks like a Buffalo offering...

🙂 still in existence today?

Al

27 minutes ago, edinmass said:

It's a great Pierce.........😎

Indeed it is, a 66 from the heights of the radiator and of the top of the hood!  One strange aspect is the lack of cowl lights and two longitudinal vents on the hood center, which were present through 1918 (early 1918 was the last 66 hp offered for open sale) but both cowl lights and hood vents were dropped for 1919-1920.  Consider that the cowls were *cast* aluminum and varied by body style.  Could it be a late 66 chassis with a newer cowl and hood built in 1919-1920? A factory custom for the White House?

Edited by Grimy
added last sentence (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, alsfarms said:

For the Presidential Historians among us....

Can any of the other folks sitting around that huge camp table be identified? These few pictures are certainly historically of interest. Next, does anyone know if either the Locomobile, the trusted vehicle or the other vehicle.....kinds looks like a Buffalo offering...

🙂 still in existence today?

Al

I can't say for sure but the man to the left holding the tea cup and looking at the camera over his right shoulder looks like Andrew Mellon, the Secretary of Treasury. His business wealth prior to government service would be on par with the other individuals seated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Topic: Sealing the water plates to the top of cylinders. 

Anyone tackle this job successfully?  If so please advise as to how you sealed the water plates to the cylinders. 

Thank you in advance. 

• Like 1

I have heard but not completed first hand, that sandblast the rough eroded surface of the top of the jug where the Locomobile script water manifolds'/plates mount. Then carefully use JB Weld to dress the eroded area. Best to mount in a milling machine and fly-cut this whole surface area  back to a very flat gasket surface.  As needed use the same procedure to the bottom side of the water manifold/plate. You will end up with two very smooth and flat gasket surfaces that are much more impervious to rust damage while in use.

Al

• Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 11:38 PM, ak said:

Topic: Sealing the water plates to the top of cylinders. 

Anyone tackle this job successfully?  If so please advise as to how you sealed the water plates to the cylinders. 

Thank you in advance. 

I had to do this before. Most important: Don't tighten the central nuts (fine thread and spanner size 1") too much!!! The force applied by the nut is high and the hollow cast iron water covers break easily. I used paper gaskets under the covers and re-inforced paper washers under the nuts, non-hardening sealant on one side and grease on the other side of the sealing surfaces. As explained by Al, the metal surfaces must be flat and smooth. I checked that with a feeler gauge before putting the gaskest on.

8 minutes ago, AHa said:

It would seem that any good gasket maker would suffice for this. It would for most any other motor. What makes this application different?

I think there is nothing special. Just hot water and no pressure. Quite easy. I don't like to glue things on (for example with silicone), because of the difficulties when you need to remove it again. I think there are more than one ways to do that job well.

0 IMG_5024.jpg

0 IMG_5215.jpg

I would like to echo the Christmas Wish, as shared from Frank the "Official" Locomobile Service Center in Germany and send all our kind and faithful readers, supporters and posters here on the Locomobile Gathering place a Healthy, Happy and Rewarding Christmas and New Years Celebration, from the rural outback of the US Mountain West.

Al

• Like 1

Update from Bob of Steering Wheel Bob.

I spoke with Bob Monetti today and received sad news from him. His Christmas and Holidays were not cheery. His wife took sick a while before Christmas and progressively got worse and worse until she passed two days ago. Her funeral will take place tomorrow. Bob told me that they had been married for 63 years. What a nice tribute to a marriage commitment! My condolences and sympathy go to Bob and his family at the passing of his wife. He is planning to get back to his steering wheel restoration business as soon as possible, with his son, as he feels being busy with something, that he is good at and is uplifting, will help him cope with this sad time.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Spelling (see edit history)

42 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

Update from OB of Steering Wheel Bob.

I spoke with Bob Monetti today and received sad news from him. His Christmas and Holidays were not cheery. His wife took sick a while before Christmas and progressively got worse and worse until she passed two days ago. Her funeral will take place tomorrow. Bob told me that they had been married for 63 years. What a nice tribute to a marriage commitment! My condolences and sympathy go to Bob and his family at the passing of his wife. He is planning to get back to his steering wheel restoration business as soon as possible, with his son, as he feels being busy with something, that he is good at and is uplifting, will help him cope with this sad time.

Al

Al, Thats very sad news. Bob is a great guy!. He is correct to stay busy. 

Steve Snyder had the 21 Locomobile at San Marino Classic, Lacy Park August 27th. I couldn't get any good pictures between the car placement and crowd.

We talked briefly about the first start wake her up work and the temporary fuel tank she was running on at the show.

The next owner will have a big advantage as a result of Vault's efforts.    

What a grand automobile!

Hope we get to see this car again down the road.

image.jpeg.483051192dcd9ed4ca4d76c433ffad88.jpegimage.jpeg.6c4210e54a1def67058ea1752b657149.jpegimage.jpeg.40d838b47070d839726478807022ba13.jpeg

• Like 2