1911 - 1927 Locomobile 48 & 38 Gathering Place

alsfarms

12 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Does anyone have pictures of what the interior of a California type top is finished like?

Al

Not even in the same era or manufacturer, but here's the inside of the California top on our 1932 Marmon Sixteen. Finished with a headliner and dome light just as in a closed car.

073.JPG.d429ba44e5809c172bb17b259ab1f75a.JPG075.JPG.bb3aafade00dce5f3adfc3d09bdeddea.JPG076.jpg.b98e7286627eaa80a622a1de9b35dc1b.jpg

Here's the headliner of a 1924 Maxwell, also with a California top and full headliner:

001.JPG.b13ff904d8d940a35cdf8184cf033505.JPG 067.JPG.51cbe5db5c10f9cb570731f7e016cfcf.JPG068.JPG.31665f0ba97338cc8f339696460ab789.JPG

• Like 2

Nice pictures of the inside and upholstery appointments used on a typical California Top. It certainly appears that the California Top was a serious attempt to modify a windy and noisy open automobile to, in effect, become much more closed car comfortable.

Al

On 8/11/2022 at 11:55 AM, alsfarms said:

Here is a followup to a discussion on this picture and what I have learned about the Demarest Limousine shown.

'25 Locomobile NYS mansion  a.jpg

Last year we had a brief discussion regarding the mansion in the background identified as Marina. It is not clearly associated with Locomobile but at Seaside Park it served as a nice backdrop for staging photos. I was unable to identify the owner as owning a Locomobile in the 1926 CT DMV records (or any vehicle for that matter). It was P.T. Barnum's 4th house and it was donated to the newly established and growing University of Bridgeport. It was torn down in 1961. I found pictures at demolition which Alan thought I should post for closure. The property was encroached upon and it appears the building aready attached to classroom or other functional space. Courtesy of the Bridgeport History Center and part of the CT Digital Library.

Avert sensitive eyes....

m6.jpg

m5.jpg

m4.jpg

m3.jpg

m2.jpg

m1.jpg

m0.jpg

Edited by prewarnut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here we are celebrating Saint Patrick's Day. First, a couple of days ago it was Corned Beef and cabbage. My wife can certainly nail that delicacy. We then celebrated my wife's birthday with a two day date. When we got home, she was back at it in the kitchen making Reuben sandwiches out of the left over Corned Beef along with homemade sauer kraut. Oh man......I do like that. However, the story is just getting started. I looked out our kitchen window and into our driveway to see that I some Christmas of Saint Patties Day.  I will post a couple of pictures of my latest acquisitions that will certainly be a big plus to my ongoing Locomobile 48 restoration.

Al

Pictures 1

IMG_20230317_183414957_HDR.jpg

Hello George,

Yes to your question. This, and a few other Locomobile parts I purchased, came from the remains of the Binner estate. Actually, there is quite a back story to the Binner estate. I was happy to find and be able to procure these several missing pieces from the Demarest Limousine. The market is not real wide for Locomobile 48 parts as not many of us are doing restoration on Locomobiles that are missing many parts, (I am probably the exception).  That said, when opportunity knocked, I needed to be ready to jump and did. I am looking for shared information on the best procedure for polishing this German Silver radiator.

Al

11 hours ago, alsfarms said:

The pieces I got were priced mostly equivalent with similar parts from other makes. Yes, this hobby we participate in is sure a treat.

Al

I asked about two grease cups and one half of a electrical connector and was told $500. Plus shipping. Al if that’s a treat then you will finish your cars. Not likely.

Parts can be an interesting challenge. While I often sold parts to help pay for my hobby, and did it as a business.........among hobbyists I always tried to trade when possible.  Eventually, it comes down to the finish line.......and sometimes only money will get you across to the finish. I have been fairly fortunate recently that the few big dollar items I needed were sold to me at a very fair middle of the road price...........

• Like 1

Sometimes good will is generated a long the way and reciprocated in like kind. Of course, the opposite is also true. This is not a reflection on George, who, I'm sure, is a super nice guy. After all, Locomobiles were one of the most expensive makes when new. It only stands to reason any small part would be worth its value in gold.

It is a sad state of affairs that so many people undertake a full restoration without realizing the time and cost involved and end up with a pile of parts, of which, only a few are actually saleable. Sometimes a full restoration can be accomplished in two years but 12 to 14 is more normal and some, if finished, are closer to 25. As we age, we run the risk of not being able to finish our projects for myriads of reasons. Many men have set out to play a round of golf only to never finish and a round of golf takes 2 hours or less. "Best made plans of mice and men."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Polishing nickel - I have a Locomobile radiator of similar size to the one pictured I bought from Austin Clark decades ago at his L.I. Auto Museum on an "Iron Range Day"  ( when you were invited to go out and look through the buildings and make a pile of stuff to buy) just last Autumn I started to clean /polish my radiator. Nickel plating was well worn in spots down to the brass base metal . I used Never Dull. it takes some time but isn't harsh. Didn't get the job finished before winter set in even though I am working on it in a heated garage 20 feet from where I am typing this. I will get back to it in May probably but got side tracked in research and writing plus Dr. visits to keep me vertical.

Let some of the people who collect period lamps tell us what they polish nickel plating with .

Moving a Locomobile radiator/shell about by ones self isn't the smartest thing in the world to do - has to be 70+ lbs or more

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Alan,

We have a copper sink, which while, looking great, is a pain in the rear to keep polished. Remind me to avoid such in our next house....One way to polish copper, and German silver (if this is german silver), is to use warm white vinegar and salt. I do this on occasion when I don't want to be scrubbing. In your case avoiding rubbing so as to not cause scratching or a change to the surface patina would be ideal. For German silver the only twist is to line the vessel the item is submerged or bathed in with aluminum foil. Being a large radiator shell this may not be too practical but food for thought about doing this chemically without mechanically altering the suface - at least to get started. Maybe you could make a wood-framed box water-tight and with some aluminum foil lining it (doesn't have to be contiguous over the whole box's surface). I would say with our copper sink this gets it 90%. If I really want a shine and some reflection I follow it up with an ammonia solution (or just start that way). 

If the radiator shell is nickel I'm not sure the above applies...

Edited by prewarnut (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Hello Dan, Thanks for your advice regarding polishing of copper and German Silver. Now I am thinking....maybe folks use the term German Silver when describing the composition of the Locomobile radiators. I think I will start a separate chat that will discuss Locomobile radiators and not get lost in this Locomobile 38 and 48 group chat.

Al

I haven't checked in any upcoming auctions. If you are one who stay more informed on upcoming auctions, please share references to Locomobiles for sale. It appears that there is more activity involving Locomobile sales over the near past. 

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Here, I have located and procured a full set of 6 "Dill" NOS nickel valve stem covers. The plan is to use them on the 1925 Demarest Locomobile spoken of before and certainly a Nickel era automobile. I will attach a few pictures that will show the original box they came in and the stem covers. I looked but could see no patent date on the box. Is anyone familiar with this brand of stem covers? The box suggests that they were manufactured in Cleveland Ohio. Any input is well received.

Al

IMG_20230404_122028392.jpg.cfd93f682a49de9d26d6b7c410295fdb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From yesterday's Wilburham Hill Climb event. I posted them in that thread but will put them here also.  Fantastic car painted in its original color combination.  5 years ago I met the last owner who did the restoration in a barn at his house over 35 years.   Spent 30 minutes talking to him because I knew nothing about Locomobile but was smart enough to know this was cool.IMG_2296.jpeg.6aad85e6d185abe5d272e78499047ba9.jpegIMG_2297.jpeg.96977a3ac73f7b4f28362ac1e56d03c2.jpeg

IMG_2295.jpeg.948eaa3c4b871214d9b3b60f75098052.jpeg

• Like 2

Hello Locomobile 38 and 48 owners. Summer and good driving weather is fast approaching. How many have committed to taking their Locomobile out on tours this summer touring season, or for that matter, to a car show or two? Please share what is going on that involves your Locomobile. I am planning on the Nickel Era tour planned for Southern Utah in September. Sadly, my 48 Locomobile is not yet ready to take.

Al

1 hour ago, alsfarms said:

Hello Locomobile 38 and 48 owners. Summer and good driving weather is fast approaching. How many have committed to taking their Locomobile out on tours this summer touring season, or for that matter, to a car show or two? Please share what is going on that involves your Locomobile. I am planning on the Nickel Era tour planned for Southern Utah in September. Sadly, my 48 Locomobile is not yet ready to take.

Al

we will be taking our 1913 Model 38 on the HCCA Burketsville MD tour in July 

should be fun. 

• Like 4

Some people just need a slap upside of the head……..and in this case……….with a brick in the hand.

Never thought I would see a Loco that I wouldn’t take for free, till now. 

Notice the Phillips screws used in the restoration…….excuse me, the ruination of the car.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1