1911 - 1927 Locomobile 48 & 38 Gathering Place

alsfarms

On 5/21/2023 at 10:23 PM, Lozierman said:

I think the green wire is for the horn switch to the horn.

Correct! It is the ground wire for activating the motor for the Klaxon, and because the door frame is wood, they used two wires.

Al, your Limousine is more modern and has the horn button already located on the steering wheel.

Schaltplan George (Klaxon).jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

That little roadster is very nice……….and I wouldn’t mind having it in my garage……….any thoughts to a hammer number? Is it me, or am I thinking it will be semi reasonable……….

5 hours ago, edinmass said:

That little roadster is very nice……….and I wouldn’t mind having it in my garage……….any thoughts to a hammer number? Is it me, or am I thinking it will be semi reasonable……….

Sub$100k?

12 hours ago, edinmass said:

Hard to predict hammer #’s. An example like this one is real frozen moment of a great American automobile. One would hope that there is somebody with cultivated taste and enough financial horsepower to purchase and sensitively recommission this automobile.0066BE3E-C0C1-49FB-9D8B-4675F6CD7532.jpeg.b0aaa87413086c0644c40603aeefa3df.jpeg. Rare breed to find today. That said there have been moments of encouragement back in 2018 when this similar example sold for over 400k.

Here’s the Locomobile catalog rendering of that roadster. I take my hat off to Gooding to correctly describe the car as a 1916. Unlike Bonhams outright lie regarding the touring car in the second photo. I spoke to Rupert at Bonhams regarding the incorrect dating as a 1915. Bonhams did not care about the truth 65D2E710-2139-4BD1-AE89-3620A960C8B4.jpeg.077d0a84be5269c2127b39b68afdeaef.jpegB4EB8B0D-2B6B-414F-BDF5-D6C20B253400.jpeg.8b5045e8bcef941acc00fb97b9ae1672.jpeg 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DGPoff said:

Sub$100k?

I was thinking a private sale would be 45-55 at fair market value. Maybe I’m low. It looks like a nice low mileage unmolested car. Definitely need upholstery or covers to make it a fun driver. The big question is, how much it needs to be reliable. Just a radiator would be 10k done right. At this point, I rather pony up for a known good driver………unless the deal is fantastic, then I would gamble………..

If it was a 48 I would guess 70-100, but I think the small series hurts it significantly in todays market. None the less, I would be very happy with it.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I was thinking a private sale would be 45-55 at fair market value. Maybe I’m low. It looks like a nice low mileage unmolested car. Definitely need upholstery or covers to make it a fun driver. The big question is, how much it needs to be reliable. Just a radiator would be 10k done right. At this point, I rather pony up for a known good driver………unless the deal is fantastic, then I would gamble………..

If it was a 48 I would guess 70-100, but I think the small series hurts it significantly in todays market. None the less, I would be very happy with it.

Eddie, I think you are way low.  The roadster is a possible preservation class car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Eddie, I think you are way low.  The roadster is a possible preservation class car.

Looking at the photos it’s a strong candidate for preservation class. Special body certainly lofted by deCausse. Built by Healey as a statement car for an owner who named it Pegasus. The smaller horse power is today a ding but in the day Wrigley owned a 38 Roadster. Now someone has to have the eyes to see it and spend enough to wake it up. Not for your average car guy who’s only criteria is money.

• Like 4

I get all sides of the argument. 1916 hurts it as much as the small series. Question is, will there be more than one serious bidder on it. It’s a cool car but it doesn’t check all the boxes. Purchasing power of the dollar on horsepower and year with recent past sales make the final result a coin toss. I know of a dozen guys looking for big boy brass toys, and this car doesn’t peak their interest. Personally I really like it, but am not in the market right now.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I get all sides of the argument. 1916 hurts it as much as the small series. Question is, will there be more than one serious bidder on it. It’s a cool car but it doesn’t check all the boxes. Purchasing power of the dollar on horsepower and year with recent past sales make the final result a coin toss. I know of a dozen guys looking for big boy brass toys, and this car doesn’t peak their interest. Personally I really like it, but am not in the market right now.

Your absolutely right as it isn’t HCCA eligible and not CCCA listed. Preservation car for someone who wants a Locomobile for their own reasons. I would buy it if I could buy the time to do it 🤔

1 minute ago, prewarnut said:

Per "coachbuilt" Healey exibited a Locomobile Gunboat roadster at the 1916 NY Salon. The car was green with greens stripes and green leather. This isn't a Gunboat but up close the paint looks dark green.....Hmmm.

Stirring the pot......

• Like 2

On 4/15/2023 at 10:39 AM, alsancle said:

What was it this car sold for? $55,0000? This is the one from Mark Smith's. Dim fine car from 20 feet. The unrestored roadster is a hard car to judge price. In most people's eyes, it needs a total restoration, and therefore not worth much, but unrestored, original, cars sometimes bring more than restored. I thought the car below would bring closer to 150. That was what a similar car sold for 1 year ago.

IMG_1108.jpeg

• Like 1

Prices can be all over the map on pre WWI cars. Too many variables to really nail down any unusual car. Many people are afraid of any car where there is no support for parts or club. Tossing down a large number on any car one must remember what is available turn key and fairly shiny. Lots of competition out there for dollars. Cars that need sorting and recommissioning can get very expensive fast. It’s a roll of the dice. Most people don’t have the stomach for it today. 

Several nice Pierce’s and Wintons from the era have been soft lately.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, edinmass said:

Prices can be all over the map on pre WWI cars. Too many variables to really nail down any unusual car. Many people are afraid of any car where there is no support for parts or club. Tossing down a large number on any car one must remember what is available turn key and fairly shiny. Lots of competition out there for dollars. Cars that need sorting and recommissioning can get very expensive fast. It’s a roll of the dice. Most people don’t have the stomach for it today. 

The doomsdayers are predicting one helluva downturn in the economy and their voices are getting louder. The whole world seems to be teetering on the edge of a cliff and who's to say when the event will occur that will push it over. It seems everybody is aware on one level or the other and are anticipating, hedging their bets. This is affecting the enthusiasm and outlay of cash. Just a few short years ago, cars were a better investment than stocks, and some still are, but its getting harder to judge what is holding value or going up.

10 hours ago, edinmass said:

You are correct. The club and event support drives prices in a big way.   Look no further than the Silver Ghost vs the Phantom I.    I'm convinced that the Duesenberg tour is pushing Model J prices up.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, alsancle said:

You are correct. The club and event support drives prices in a big way.   Look no further than the Silver Ghost vs the Phantom I.    I'm convinced that the Duesenberg tour is pushing Model J prices up.  

Man you guys must subscribe to the value guide / auction blue book. What isn’t published is what counts. Unless you’re an actuarial scientist with access to mega data what is spoken about here is known as today as a market influencer. Quick tip when selling it is a good sign if potential customer asks what’s the closest airport so his pilots land one of this jets.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

George, you have anything for sale? What’s the FBO? 😎

Remember, I’m just the help……not the guy with the checkbook!

Photo is from my local airport……..when I roll, I roll with Spirit of Frontier……….🫣

IMG_6559.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

George, you have anything for sale? What’s the FBO? 😎

Remember, I’m just the help……not the guy with the checkbook!

Photo is from my local airport……..when I roll, I roll with Spirit of Frontier……….🫣

IMG_6559.jpeg

What could an old wrench breaker like me have that could be of interest. All I have is strong coffee and weak memories.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, George K said:

What could an old wrench breaker like me have that could be of interest. All I have is strong coffee and weak memories.

And some cool iron in the garage, no worries I won’t  spill the beans. Rumor is your hoarding Model T’s.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Good morning! I am not up to speed with either Silver Ghost -v- P 1, per your comment. Could you please elaborate a bit on that subject? 

Al

Check this website out.   Look at their parts catalog.   Having technical support and a parts supply factors in to most peoples buying decisions.   The Phantom I RR is a very similar car yet does not have that level of support and hence is not as popular.

https://silverghostassociation.com/

I have often said, a Springfield Ghost is one of the most undervalued collector cars on the planet.