1952 Cadillac Series 75

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Fleetwood Meadow said:

Decided to remove the rust on the roof and apply some primer so it stops rusting. I got about 1/3 of the roof done. I’ll stop before the rain comes and do more over the next week.

IMG_9863.jpeg

IMG_9864.jpeg

Be careful. Primer will hold moisture.

Spoke with the engine rebuilder. Let me start off by saying I will never have someone rebuild my engine again. They can do the machining but that is it and the time frame needs to be much less than 25 months. The block was sent out because they didn’t like how the crankshaft sat in it. It was scheduled to be back in last Friday, 8 days ago. Here is his latest response. “Waiting on block to come back. They were backed up.
Looks like Monday they will be working on heads. Will have a better idea Monday. Sorry for delay.” 

I decided to clean the front seat of the car after hearing that we are hopefully about a month from getting the engine back. After the mice took over I hadn’t cleaned the front seat but I have seemed to get rid of them so now I want to sit in the car without a piece of plastic under me. I’m a little disturbed by the recovered water but I’m glad it’s now clean. 

IMG_9891.jpeg

• Like 1

The roof is now primed. After keiser31 mentioned that primer absorbs moisture I switched to Rustoleum Professional Primer. According to the research I did it is designed for indoor/outdoor use and it beads the water on it instead of absorbing it. While I was outside with the car I hooked up a jump wire and was checking out the lights. It’s the first time in over 2 years that the tail lights have been turned on. Hopefully the engine will be back soon and I can hook up the electrical again. 

I don’t tend to be a sentimental guy but when I work on my cars, in between internal arguments I’m having with people that aren’t around me at the time, I tend to think about people close to me. My aunt, the one I talked about earlier in this thread, whom named this car Ricardo had a stroke on Sunday. She will be 63 this July and my mother found her disoriented and making incoherent sentences. They had to perform a surgery on her neck and removed what the doctor called a large clot. As I have been working on this car lately I have been hoping to get it running soon so I can take her for a ride in it. Now I’m not sure just what will happen since she has blood in her lungs and they don’t know why. I’m not sure why I always think about my family so much while I’m working on these cars but my mind naturally moves to them. It’s funny how some people think of cars as mere tools to transport us but for others they do something internally to them. 

IMG_9923.jpeg

IMG_9889.jpeg

IMG_9932.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 3 years into my '51 Pontiac restoration and I am still blowing rat turds out of that car every time I blow into the car to clean it out.All I lack is the upholstery to finish,but I would like to get all the rat turds out of it. I don't think it's possible.

The tedious act of paint removal has begun again on the front fender. With the engine rebuilder claiming it will be ready very soon I have to pause the rear end cleanup and get the front end cleaned up so the engine can go back in. Earlier this year I bought a surface conditioning tool and it is making the paint removal so fast. What took me a couple days on the first fender took me a couple hours on this one. 

IMG_0023.jpeg

IMG_0022.jpeg

IMG_0021.jpeg

• Like 6

Fleetwood, did you get the Eastwood surface conditioner, or the Harbor Freight one? I've been considering getting one of these, but wasn't sure how much of an improvement it would be over a DA or grinder with 60 or 80 grit. How did you strip the first fender?

Edited by r1lark (see edit history)

Just caught up on the last 4 years of your work.  Pretty amazing.  Keep posting, there are a lot of folks watching!

9 hours ago, Fleetwood Meadow said:

Took some time but every bolt came out beautifully. I was pleasantly surprised.

Say what you want about how I tackle body work, but I would never do this.. (lower left side)

IMG_0047.jpeg

IMG_0053.jpeg

That's a typical area for rust on these cars. I had the same problem on mine when I fixed all of it's rust in 1986 and it was a southern California car from new.

I would love to hear the real history of this car. The engine was removed due to an oil leak. It’s a 1953 engine so I am assuming the ‘52 engine had a bad cam shaft like they were known for. The metal under the grill is crumpled. This fender was clearly damaged and repaired. The whole car was repainted in a similar to original color. The front driver’s fender doesn’t have undercoating yet every other panel does. So I’m assuming it was in a nasty accident and the repairs I’m finding were done to quickly get the car back on the road. But I don’t know very much about the car. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This engine situation has caused me to completely lose motivation. The engine was supposed to be done by August 1st. The engine rebuilder didn’t get back to me and I finally got in touch with him two days ago. He said to me they were closed for four weeks and just started running again. I’m so sick of his excuses. I told him he has until 9/16 and I’m coming to get the engine whether it’s finished or not. He told me I can’t.  If it’s not finished he isn’t releasing it. So now he has my engine held hostage. I’m so disgusted I’m tempted to just sell the car and let some fool put an LS engine in it and hot rod the damned thing…

A lot of machine shops are way backed up these days, at least the good ones. It took about 8 months for my machinist to bore and hone a Studebaker block for me, but he told me upfront it would take that long based on the work he had in the shop. Around here, so many of the good machinists are doing pretty much only race car stuff, so the rest of the good machinists are swamped. Yes, there are machinists that have little to no waiting but they aren't what I consider the good contentious machinists.

Keep your chin up, maybe your machinist will surprise you!

28 months! That’s far too long. There are plenty of things I can do but I’m losing steam when I have seen no progress updates, I haven’t been told that they are even assembling it. And every time I hear from him they have been “closed.” And then he has the nerve to tell me he gave me a discount for waiting. It it’s still almost $9k. And to add insult to injury a friend of mine had an engine rebuilt by them too. He gave it to them last year and the engine is already back in the car. It’s hard to keep your chin up when you can’t move the thing or hear it run. How does one get the motivation. To spend thousands of dollars on a lawn ornament? I guess it’s just finally hitting me that I made a mistake with using this guy and he certainly isn’t getting my ‘51 Dodge engine that I want to rebuild..

• 2 weeks later...