buick5563

Please introduce yourself...

hi im jeremy i got a 1932 buick thats all there and found this place

its great for info but sorry i have no info to share

Welcome aboard.

Prasad - I've thought similarly about Buick V6s in the old iron. You may find the Performand / Modified forum is a good place to start. One thing to do is look at the wheelbase and see what has the same - I understand it makes it easier not having to deal with frame modifications.

Jeremy - '32s are beautiful cars. I look forward to hearing and seeing more about the car.

Thanks!!

I looked at the 1937 Buick's wheelbase and it's 122" and the G body frame is 108.1..... so If I extend the the G body frame 13.9" in the middle would it work?. I also noticed that the 1937 frame is some what straight where the G body frame is no so much on both ends. I guess I have long road ahead of me.

Thanks

Prasad

Prasad, WELCOME!

Somewhere in the 1970s, there were full-size Buicks which might well have had 122" wheelbases AND a Buick V-6 in it . . . think "gas crisis" time of circa 1974.

One of our chapter members has a '48 Roadmaster Riviera that is sitting on a '79 Cadillac frame. When I first saw it, I noticed the Cadillac-issue OEM Boranni wire wheels and a factory sway bar hanging between the rear control arms . . . I knew it wasn't stock. Same wheelbase in both cases. He said the frame mounts were in similar places, too. But then frame mount brackets are welded-on anyway, so that should not be too hard to make happen, if needed. Key thing is the wheelbase being the same.

The other thing would be frame width at the front and rear where the earlier model bumpers would be adapted, not to forget the front body mounts and such.

Welcome Aboarrrdddd!

NTX5467

'71-'76 Rivieras had a 122" wheelbase...presumably other GMs may have had the same wheelbase. That would give a wide option of V8s that would be pretty easy to put in. I know the Buick V6 in 1962 was very closely based on the 215 ci V8 at the time, but I couldn't say anything about the newer V6s in terms of mounting compatibility. At any rate, it sounds like a neat project. I've always thought the turbo and SC 3.8s would make a good modified project - different than the conventional "bigger is better" mentality, but still very powerful.

Derek, I was thinking the original Buick V-6 was a part of the Nailhead V-8 family, just fewer cylinders and NOT utilized until something smaller was needed for the compact Specials and Skylarks in the early 1960s (Buick not having a six cylinder engine and obviously NOT wanting to use the Chevy six cylinder in those cars). Seems like that "innovative" engine got the Buicks a "Motor Trend Car of the Year" award?

The mention of the 1960s Buick V-6 being a cut-down Nailhead was in a magazine article I found some time back. That it was a design companion as a part of the "Nailhead Family" of engine proposals in the early 1950s. I'm not aware of any links to the later 215 V-8s, though.

The front timing cover for my '68 LeSabre 350 V-8 supercedes up to the same item on 1990s era (and later) Buick 3800 V-6s. I ran those part numbers as I was looking at options should the oil pump housing become too worn in future years. When it later number-changed to an 8-digit GM part number, THAT got my attention.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

The 198 ci V6 was a 215 V8 with 2 fewer cylinders - it was bored out. The timing wasn't initially adjusted, which is where poor idle characteristics come from. Some parts do interchange.

Yes, the V6 powered Special of 1962 was the MT Car of the Year.

Gidday,

Have a 55 Super wanting to get on the road. Hopefully can get some advice here now and again. Cheers all! :)

I thi1nk i posted in the wrong area the first time...lol. I'm about to purchase a 1946 Buick Special this Sunday, and I'm sure I'll need all the help I can get! so HELLO and thanks in advance!

Welcome Russell - if you go to the "Me and My Buick" forum, there are a couple of '55 restorations in the works, interspersed with foolish comments provided by the likes of me.

Welcome Newbie - purchases are always so exciting. The '46 has a lot in common with '41-'42 Buicks as well. There are some knowledgeable folks here who should be able to help out with whatever you need.

Hi,

My name is Laurent, BCA member since 2008. I live in France near the town called Toulouse with my wife and my two childrens.

I'm a Buick fan, i have two Buick bought in the USA; a 68 Skylark 2dr hardtop and a 69 Skylark Custom 4dr hardtop.

Bienvenue Laurent!

I have an aunt and uncle west of you, in Dax.

Hello All my name is Terry me an the better half have just add to are house a 1968 sportwagon An we are hoping you fine people can help us out some

O6D

ST #68-44455FL1 329583Body

TR 183 T-T Paint

Thanks for your time an help

Thanks Ben

We are tring to find out anything we could about the car Like what size moter it came with,What coler did it start out as We have allready found out that came with shylark fenders So now we are looking for the correct sportwagon fenders.An thanks we did start a new thread

I very rarely post, but read with interest. My first driver was Dad's '54 Super, then his '54 Century. The first car i owned was a '57 Special convertible, I have phots of all if anyone is intersested. Stan

I'm John and I have been checking out (and sometimes adding to) your Buick forums. As you can see, I am a MoPar kind of guy, but I have learned an awful lot from you folks. The knowledge here is well appreciated and some of it even pertains to my cars. Thanks for letting me in.

Welcome, Keisler31! Some interesting Dodges, there. Just remember that all car brands have their own quirks and idiosyncrasies, which MUST be respected AND understood as being a part of the brand's particular DNA and character. That's part of what made them unique and FUN.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Hi, I'm Dave and new to this forum. I live in NY and retired 4 months ago. I love all '49-'54 American cars but am partial to GM's. When I retired I bought a '52 Super convertible off of e-Bay that needs a complete restoration. The floor is completely shot but the car is pretty complete. It needs few parts, and I have already gotten some of what I need from e-Bay. I was wondering if anybody knows of a good restoration shop in lower NY? I basicly need them to do the floor and the interior. Thanks much!!

I very rarely post, but read with interest. My first driver was Dad's '54 Super, then his '54 Century. The first car i owned was a '57 Special convertible, I have phots of all if anyone is intersested. Stan

Glad you stopped in to say hello Stan. Please, please, perty please post some of the pictures of your 54's and 57. I'd suggest putting them in the Me and My Buick forum. Look forward to seeing them.

Hi, I'm Dave and new to this forum. I live in NY and retired 4 months ago. I love all '49-'54 American cars but am partial to GM's. When I retired I bought a '52 Super convertible off of e-Bay that needs a complete restoration. The floor is completely shot but the car is pretty complete. It needs few parts, and I have already gotten some of what I need from e-Bay. I was wondering if anybody knows of a good restoration shop in lower NY? I basicly need them to do the floor and the interior. Thanks much!!

Welcome aboard Dave. Ahhh, love those 52 convertibles. Be sure and share some pics of it in the Me and My Buick forum. :)

I'm John and I have been checking out (and sometimes adding to) your Buick forums. As you can see, I am a MoPar kind of guy, but I have learned an awful lot from you folks. The knowledge here is well appreciated and some of it even pertains to my cars. Thanks for letting me in.

Glad to have you sir. Maybe if you hang around long enough you'll get to understand the slogan 'WOULDN'T YOU REALLY RATHER HAVE A BUICK" and trade one of them MoPars for one. :D Again WELCOME