Please introduce yourself...

I need a clutch... I can put the car in gear and if I pop the clutch, it smoothly goes into gear :) My water pump is squeaking, probably need to replace it. The front end shock system (seems to be the steering as well) is really worn down. Finally, the car drops out of gear sometimes. Not from those on the bottom, but Reverse and Second. Strange... I'm working those issues first, but will need other items as I go along. The car is really in pretty good shape. Thanks for your reply.

Your dropping out of gear is probably linkage rubber gromets worn out or missing. Readily available from Bobs or Cars Inc and others.

Parts are available for the front end. Rebuilt shocks are available fron same. But not available from local parts stores.

You should get in touch with the North Texas chapter of the Buick Club of America, in Weatherford. A lot of good ole boys . One of them will be able to guide you.

Join their chapter and the BCA. You will not be sorry.

Ben

Guest rboozie

This !955 Buick Special,model 46,2 door hardtop with standard shift tranny has 70,000 miles on it and bought in Birmingham,Al in 1955.Has newly rebuilt 264 nailhead engine,new clutch and pressure plate and throw out bearing,interior replaced except for headliner,new tires ,wheels,paint(white over black).A great driver and rides like a dream.Don't know how to insert pic.

Guest unihikid

Hi everyone my name is charlie sheen....anyways just bought a 66 buick wildcat 4 door after someone hit my 94 buick lesabre,from la and trying to get this cat back on the road,im having problems with the charging system,any help would be great thanks.

Greetings All,

My name is Marty and am from Michigan. I have been collecting cars for quite a few years now. My very first car was a 1958 Buick Special 4dr. Nothing fancy and the limey yellow color was, lets just say, very noticeable in a parking lot...... My second car was a Mustang. Thus my collection is mostly Buicks and Mustangs. I have been crazy lucky over the years in finding rare cars at incredibly low prices. I know we have all heard the "well there I was in this old barn" type of stories, and some of them are probably mine !! For example, I was in Columbus Ohio area with some time to kill before a meeting and ran across an estate sale. The two ladies that met me in the yard seemed to be Mother and Daughter. When asked if there was anything in particular I may be looking for, I responded "old car stuff". The Daughter answered, I almost forgot Dad's old car in the barn. That is how I found my 42 Sedanette.

My Buicks include a 41 Limo, 42 Sedannette, 58 Riv, 58 4dr, 58 Wagon, 64 Electra with factory bucket seats and factory dual quad, and a 70 Wildcat Convertible. No hot rods in the bunch. All have original everything on them.

When I am not trying to cram more cars in my garage, I am in the US Army and have been for over 30 years, so far. Too many trips overseas to count.....

I have to say this is a great site and every person I have met has been extremely helpful !! Thanks Grandpa for the Limo help !!

Marty,

Welcome aboard! Have you considered joining the Buick Club of America? With that many in your toybox, it sure could prove useful to be a member! Your 48' Tucker caught my eye in the toybox section. Must be beautiful! Welcome again! Matt

Hello, Marty and welcome. And a BIG thanks for serving.

Matt, his BCA # is in his signature.

Ben

Guest Capricorn

Have been Buick owner for many years, was a member of the National group and Long Island Buick Club. Currently, on in age and looking for help with my 1989 Buick Reatta, I believe I have two electical problems.

Have been Buick owner for many years, was a member of the National group and Long Island Buick Club. Currently, on in age and looking for help with my 1989 Buick Reatta, I believe I have two electical problems.

Capricorn,

Welcome to the forum. The Long Island Chapter is a good group of folks and I am sure some of them local have some Reatta's too if you need local help.

For help here on the forum, I suggestion heading just a little bit further down to the Reatta forum or just click here Buick Reatta - AACA Forums and post your questions about your electrical issues there. Barney, Marck, Ronnie and the all the rest have a ton of resources and experience to draw from to help you out.

Regards, Brian

Guest Swanny454

Hello everyone, My name is Randy Swanson but I go by Swanny. I am on a couple other forums for Camaro's, and station wagons. I currently own a 74 Buick wagon that is all original except for wheels and tires. I have owned ALOT of clamshell wagons but have always loved the body lines of the Buicks. Below is just one picture of my wagon

AlwoodBasketballandWagon037.jpg

HI I am Jeff Darnell

Just found this sit and looks interesting.

I have always loved cars and am always on the look out for that hidden treasure. Hear is a little info on me!

Car One. At 14 I bought my first 1968 Mustang fastback out of a junk yard and restored it (limited budget lots of help). Didn't take long that winter to figure out that it was to much work and money to drive it in the snow.

Car Two. At 16 I bought a 1967 RS/SS Camaro for a winter car (please don,t laugh it might hurt my feelings) It was not a bad car but needed quarters and paint. by spring it needed a front fender. Limited damage from the fence ( a camaro will not go or stop in snow). Perfect opportunity to restore right.

Still no winter car! Got smart 1500$ F250 4x4 car three at 19.

Graduation and a real job saving up to buy a house and living at home with my lovely MOM and DAD. Dad loved my hobby but with his 54 vette and my two the garage was full and that meant scraping my moms windows, no problem I am saving up for a house is what I told her.

Oops found a 1969 427 corvette in pieces. Dad and I just got done restoring his 54 vette and he loved the 69 so i bought car #4 leaving the hood in the back hall to tell mom of the new car. The next words I herd from her were no more till you get a house. Thanks mom

House check, Wife Check, Kids Check. 84 gt 350 Mustang Check, 31 Chevy truck Check. Sold the 84 still very sad. never sold another. The first two were built on a paper rough,and some side jobs, no silver spoon and lots of hard rewording work. thanks for reading .

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 4 bufords

my name is don,aka4 bufords from ct,i own a 57 super,62 invicta,63 lesabre and a 07 lacrosse i am a rehab center recovering from a broken leg.tried to stop the 57 with my leg.hope to be all mended by the rhinebeck swap. thanks for listing

Hi folks,

Just registered today. Still have to square away my profile, but figured I'd say "Hello" first.

I just bought a 1971 Electra 225 custom, 2-door, in willowmist. Has the 455-4 and TH400 to power and drive, stock carb.

It sat at 82k miles for almost ten years in a garage in Cheyenne, as the original owner aged and eventually stopped driving.

The guy was a stickler at record-keeping (every tankful noted, all service items recorded, with prices, dates, vendors and geographic locations). The man built a hand-written spreadsheet of all of it. It's amazing.

I have the original brochure, all delivery tags, BoS, window sticker.

It got picked up by a guy last Sept, and that guy sold it to me after throwing on 7K miles (without doing anything but topping it off, it looks like).

I looked at three Electras before this one, all of them 4-doors. This one looked better than any of those, and even though I already have a couple 2-door cars (and really wanted a 4-door), it just looked like the right car had come by.

Oh, it's got all the problems of a car that sat in the unheated dark for a long time -- gaskets and hoses and belts. It was driven infrequently (~2 months per tankful) for the last 3 years of it's life, so the exhaust frequently got "put away wet" and has the associated rust to show it. There are some steering things that probably seemed costly or untimely to fix when it got garaged, but none serious. There's the usual dot of surface rust here and there, but nothing major. The metal is still good. The interior is totally complete, and in pretty good shape.

Anyhow, I'm only a handful of years older than this car, and there's a lot I have to learn about it. I need to pick up on the particulars of cars of this era, too, if I'm going to be a good steward to the ol' bucket. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone, and please forgive any stupid questions I might ask.

Thanks,

-- Randy

Updated my profile. I live in the smallest municipality in the Denver area.

I like cars and motorcycles, but bought a Honda S2000 a few years back and the motorcycle hasn't had much time on the road. It's like a motorcycle with airbags.

I have a jeep for the winter. It's handy for hauling stuff around, going to the mountains to have fun, go camping or fishing, or to the rifle range.

The S2K and the Jeep have a couple things in common -- they're both manuals and they both have suspensions that are, uh, less than comfortable. Each serves a specific purpose, though, and each is great at what it does.

I like driving... long highway road trips, afternoon twisties in the mountains, racing sims.

My pop drove a buick when I was in high school. '84 Park Ave -- I think it was the last year they made 'em long. Got my first speeding ticket in it. It had a great ride.

I didn't even have my own car until I was over 30. Not because I didn't want one or have a license, but because it was easier to bike or use public transport.

So, I have this condition where I think about cars a lot. I read about cars a lot -- autoblog, jalopnik. I like learning little things about cars... race cars, rally cars. I'm no expert on anything, and don't claim to be.

As I was coasting around on the 'net, browsing for comfortable automatic cars with cruisecontrol (craigslist, hemmings), I was looking at Rolls and Benz and Jag and then thought maybe I'd consider the big American land boats. I toyed with the idea of a fleetwood. I was always looking at 4-doors. I already have a ragtop, so hardtops seemed to draw my attention. Electras always seemed to be winning the day in my little search escapades.

Denver's a good place to find cars that don't have much rust, and I ended up taking a look at a few 4-door electras from the early 70s. Each one had a disqualifier -- no cruisecontrol, crappy body or interior (too much costly work required to make nice), lots of "performance" extras put in by kids who wanted a rat-rod. I just wanted a nice, clean electra -- garage kept, under 100k miles, no huge body or interior problems, engine and drivetrain in decent shape. Then I stumbled across the 2-door pictured above. It met all the requirements, and it didn't really matter that it was 2 doors short of a full set. The green reminded me of the cutlass my pop had in the early 70s. I like green. The shoe fit, and there's the story.

I guess I forgot about the "few words" part, but that should grease the wheels, so to speak.;)

-- R

Randy, thanks so much for your post! Congratulations on acquiring a beautiful '71 Electra 225.

My folks purchased a new '71 Buick full-size (Centurion) when I was still in high school, and I still own and drive the car, so these '71's are especially near and dear to my heart.

You (and others) might be interested in the flickr photo group I established about three weeks ago. It's dedicated to the 1971 - 1976 Buick LeSabre, Centurion, Electra 225, and Estate Wagon models. We already have 386 photos added, and I'd welcome some excellent, digital images of your great Electra 225 when you have a chance. Here's the flickr group: Flickr: 1971 - 1976 Buick LeSabre / Centurion / Electra 225 / Estate Wag

I see that your car has a Deflecta-Shield! I still have the one that was fitted to my '71 when it was new, and these were a common and very effective accessory in the rural West. (I grew up in rural Eastern Oregon.)

Since you like road trips, keep in mind the Buick National Meet coming up in Portland, Oregon in 2014. Would love to see your '71 there. Cruising along Interstate-84 in a big '71 Buick is an unbeatable experience!

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)

Guest 75RivGS

I see that your car has a Deflecta-Shield!

Sharp eye, Brian!

A Deflecta-shield somehow tells me something about the prior owner and how much care he took for his car; these shield tend to break easily.

I also have a (NOS) Deflecta shield for my Electra (has green perspex though). Still in doubt whether to attach it or not. It is after market, but so era correct.

Edit: Ryan, I see your Electra has the chrome fender skirt moldings; I know those were standard on 72 and on. Were those an option in 71 or 'mid year change'?

Edited by 75RivGS (see edit history)

That's lovely. It really is a beautiful color. I'm not so much a fan of vinyl rooftops, honestly. It's just one more thing to maintain (mine's been re-dyed twice), and I find the look is less clean.

Once I get the mechanical items sorted out, I'll be working on the interior, and then I'll be after the bodywork. I'd like to avoid a complete respray if I can.

Thanks for passing along the pictures. It's delightful.

-- R